Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 AM

502 posts, read 934,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraptree View Post
I recall several years ago my wife rented a car to go down to Rio grand city/McAllen area. Saying you never know when you are going to get hit. Boy, was she right.
Driving through a parking lot. A full size pickup backed out of their parking space and went right into my wife passenger side front and rear door. Good thing it was the passenger side and not the driver side.
Lady gets out of her truck with a non chalant attitude like she was not going to get introuble. Gets on the phone and soon enough her husband drives at the same time the police do. They said they only spoke spanish and didn't understand or read any english at all.
They refused to sign any of the paperwork because it wasn't in english and said they didn't trust the police because he didn't speak spanish. So the police had to get a fluently spanish speaking officer who could translate the paperwork. Even then they put up a fuss about being deceived and that they weren't sure what would happen when they signed off. Rental company understood what happended and just swept it under the rug and dismissed the deductible my wife agreed on. Wife who grew up along the border knew they were BS'ing the entire time and they lived in Mexico.

Sorry about your Kia. Sucks when its new. Reminds me of my 8th grade economics teacher. While his car wasn't new, it was in the shop because of a minor accident. Two days out of the shop backing out of the driveway. while crossing the sidewalk onto the street. An idiot who was riding his 10speed bicycle at full speed went into his back quarterpanel. Denting it. He went flying over the trunk as well.
Lol I hate it when they act like they don't speak English!!! Trying to get me to speak Spanish! Or just to play dumb, Mexicans aren't dumb they know how to play the system and play it well. Btw Kia no bueno! Lol there cheap for a reason, like stated a above any car maintained well can last you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
So if any car maintained will last, why not buy the cheapest available?

Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
The most expensive KIA is the Cadenza which starts at $35K in the US.

Please show us this mystery $60K luxury KIA you speak of.
same car, they dropped the price since its introduction! LOL! this is exactly why i ridicule kia. if you have that kind of money, you DONT want to be seen in a kia. the loaded cadenza is now 40k (down from its initial offering of 60k fully loaded) and simply cannot compete with the style and class of bmw. ITS A KIA! it will *never* be on the same playing field.

sorry my info was outdated, i dont take kia seriously and laughed my butt off when i heard they were attempting to enter the luxury market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
Uh, no. Perhaps unlawful restraint (a class a midemeanor), as kidnapping involves abduction'
sole intent of the person committing the crime is to assume lawful control of the victim. - See more at: Texas Kidnapping/Abduction Laws - State Kidnapping/Abduction Laws - Abduction and Kidnapping

assuming lawful control of the victim can (and has) be interpreted in may ways, including not allowing someone to leave. also, when you force a victim to another room/location, it becomes aggravated kidnapping.

furthermore, several of my blood relatives and inlaws are LEOs in multiple counties/states and have confirmed what ive said. IANAL, but i do know a lot of them also

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
So if any car maintained will last, why not buy the cheapest available?
even properly maintained, the cheapest piece of crap still has a shelf life and crappy parts. they will fail before a properly maintained vehicle that uses quality parts. while you might make it to 100k in a kia, you wont get much farther without major mechanical issues. best awards for quality n whatnot? yeah, only because you have an insanely long warranty because you know your roller skate box car will break down sometime during that warranty...

Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
same car, they dropped the price since its introduction! LOL! this is exactly why i ridicule kia. if you have that kind of money, you DONT want to be seen in a kia. the loaded cadenza is now 40k (down from its initial offering of 60k fully loaded) and simply cannot compete with the style and class of bmw. ITS A KIA! it will *never* be on the same playing field.

sorry my info was outdated, i dont take kia seriously and laughed my butt off when i heard they were attempting to enter the luxury market.
Get your facts straight. Cadenza will never be 60K, never was offered at 60K.

Now if you are talking about the Quoris model which will be offered next year, then maybe you are right but you are claiming it is the Cadenza so you are wrong there.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev330 View Post
I'm really not expecting to get anything out of this. It just angers me that these fools are going to get away with this. I'm probably going to experience the same thing you did when they hit your Dakota. They're not strict enough with these people.
This is what we get with unlimited immigration, mostly from Mexico. That is so common here it's not even front page stuff anymore. Now that they've done away with DL checkpoints they are so brazen it's disgusting. My advice is to threaten them with calling ICE (if they can speak any English) and get what you can bribe style as once they leave you'll never see them again.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:54 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is what we get with unlimited immigration, mostly from Mexico. That is so common here it's not even front page stuff anymore. Now that they've done away with DL checkpoints they are so brazen it's disgusting. My advice is to threaten them with calling ICE (if they can speak any English) and get what you can bribe style as once they leave you'll never see them again.
Based on the story, the person is most likely here fully legally, just another Mexican National that has a "vacation" home in San Antonio. No need to turn this into a national issue about immigration, it was more of a post to just to discuss the outrage of the situation.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 AM

500 posts, read 969,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Get your facts straight. Cadenza will never be 60K, never was offered at 60K.

Now if you are talking about the Quoris model which will be offered next year, then maybe you are right but you are claiming it is the Cadenza so you are wrong there.
We just purchased the Cadenza for my wife, and she absolutely loves it. We're previous 2 time 300es owners. I'm driving an A6 right now, and will consider the Quoris or Equus in a couple of years. BMW just doesn't begin to approach the value point that you can get from these vehicles. A 7 series will run you minimum 20K more than these automobiles.

I'm thinking the guy who's ridiculing KIA has his head stuck in the early '90's, and certainly hasn't kept touch with the present day automobile industry. Since the hiring of Schreyer, and merge/buyout with Hyundai and subsequent engine enhancements, the past preconceptions of both Kia and Hyundai have done a 180 in the past 5 years. Would I have purchased a Korean make in 1995? Of course not, but this is 2013 and these cars have evolved since then. There are many stories of folks with 250K+ on their KIA's now. Even in this thread.

I seem to remember the same things being said about Lexus when they entered the luxury market back in the '80's. My sister was the comptroller at Sewell Cadillac in Dallas back then. She eventually moved to Sewell Lexus, where all the Highland Park folks were trading in their Cadillac's or Mercedes for a Lexus. A trend that continues to this day. To say that people with "that kind of money" wouldn't be caught dead in these cars is simply not true.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 AM

500 posts, read 969,509 times
BTW, the Cadenza was never offered at 60K.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post

even properly maintained, the cheapest piece of crap still has a shelf life and crappy parts. they will fail before a properly maintained vehicle that uses quality parts. while you might make it to 100k in a kia, you wont get much farther without major mechanical issues. best awards for quality n whatnot? yeah, only because you have an insanely long warranty because you know your roller skate box car will break down sometime during that warranty...
Even if what you're saying is true (and you have provided no evidence it is) it's still a good value.

What you keep going on about is your opinion.

Some people don't feel the need to make themselves look like a hotshot by buying an expensive car.

You want to talk about cars that break a lot, let's talk BMW or Mercedes Benz, two of the worse reliability records out there and expensive to fix to boot.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:14 PM

70 posts, read 129,524 times
In my opinion, something doesn't add up here. I don't seriously think the mexican insurance company is avoiding paying even if it was not their fault.

Also, it happened on 6/23, and you are complaining already, your first post was just 3 days after it happened. To me, this looks more like a post vent your anger towards the Mexican visitors. Plenty of car accidents happen daily around the world, be it US citizens, Mexican citizens, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio