Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM

894 posts, read 1,545,719 times

Advertisements

I have often availed myself of the exemption for disabled vets with appropriate plates on their car to pay parking fees at the airport. Never mind that DVs have to fill out paperwork to use the benefit when they can park at a parking meter downtown with no such formality...but yesterday the attendant had a new form and wants my phone number too. I didn't give her a hard time because I'm sure it wasn't her idea, but why would they want my phone number? I. Gave a work number, but I shouldn't have to give them anything else. They already demand to see my driver license and my car registration to prove that I am the one entitled to the benefit. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the exemption, but I resent this new demand for information as I see it as discriminatory. We already have to divulge too much info in our society to people who don't need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,120 times
I'm confused...you have a handicap hangtag/license plate and they are STILL asking for more info? Or is it that you don't have the handicap tags/plates and are being asked to provide documentation at the airport?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Given the daily parking rates at the airport, I'm sure such an exemption has a high potential for abuse, since anyone (disabled or not) can legally operate the vehicle. I guess they need that information for verification or audit purposes.

Here's a link to the policy:
http://www.sanantonio.gov/SAT/Parkin...edParking.aspx

Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the link. It appears they do want more info upon exiting the lot. I'd hate to be behind the person filling out the form. Must be a better way.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
I'm confused...you have a handicap hangtag/license plate and they are STILL asking for more info? Or is it that you don't have the handicap tags/plates and are being asked to provide documentation at the airport?
Yes, I have DV plates on my car. I agree that there may be a high potential for abuse, but when I park at a meter downtown I don't see someone standing there demanding all my info. At the airport I already have to show my DL for ID (yep, it is me) and my registration corresponding to me and the car and then sign a form testifying that I am entitled to the benefit. Now they want my phone number too. That is just over the top. You would think that in a town where we have so many war wounded come to get their care that the city would be a bit more careful in how they treat disabled veterans. I resent that their going-in assumption is that I'm abusing the benefit and that I have to prove it to them every time I use it. It is not only an inconvenience for me, but for all those who wait in line behind me while this lengthy transaction takes place. There must be a better way. Don't know how other airports in TX do it, but SAT just made a difficult process worse. Maybe that is their intent...to make it so onerous that we will just pay and be on our way.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:34 PM

447 posts, read 1,043,836 times
I noticed some DV license plates have the wheelchair logo, and some do not. I've also noticed visually able-bodied people parking in handicapped spots with DV plates with no wheelchair logo.

Is having a DV plate (with no wheelchair logo) all that is required to legally park in handicapped spots?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 AM

136 posts, read 225,058 times
Yes, DV plates no longer require a handicap logo to park in a handicap spot. The law changed some time ago. The DV is now sufficient since it stands for disabled. Also ones perception of able bodied may be misleading since you don't know for sure what is causing the Veteran to be disabled in the first place.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,486 times
just give a fake #.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 AM

I agree with Torpedos -- just give a fake number. I do this a lot myself. And I agree that we sometimes don't know what the disability is (so I try not to judge people with DV plates).

Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM

89 posts, read 172,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
I have often availed myself of the exemption for disabled vets with appropriate plates on their car to pay parking fees at the airport. Never mind that DVs have to fill out paperwork to use the benefit when they can park at a parking meter downtown with no such formality...but yesterday the attendant had a new form and wants my phone number too. I didn't give her a hard time because I'm sure it wasn't her idea, but why would they want my phone number? I. Gave a work number, but I shouldn't have to give them anything else. They already demand to see my driver license and my car registration to prove that I am the one entitled to the benefit. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the exemption, but I resent this new demand for information as I see it as discriminatory. We already have to divulge too much info in our society to people who don't need to know.
That's life. You get a benefit and you've got to jump through a few small hoops for it.

The amount of info you're transmitting just responding to this thread is equal to what you'd give up when giving them your phone number. We're a digital world and your personal freedoms aren't going to be severely compromised just by giving them a cellular or home telephone number.

... And don't be silly with a fake number: If they figure it out, you will likely lose the benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio