Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,561 times

Advertisements

Man that's just wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
If SA has a big German influence, where are the German restaurants? Can you recommend some good ones that I can try out?

Thanks!
Winst0n...that's a fair question. While SA's historical roots have a huge German influence, that history goes back to the mid 1800's. Most of that early heritage has become assimilated into the local mix. The Little Rhine Steak House is sort of an example of that. It's a wonderful restaraunt, and has some German flair, but I wouldn't say it was truly an example of German dining.

One of the real parts of history that hurt the German influence was during WWII.....when we even had German prisoner of war camps all over the country...and one right here on Ft Sam. All things "German" were sort of surpressed during the "war years". And sadly some never came back.
(Sorry...I can't help myself when it comes to anything related to local history! )

There are some good places listed above....my fav is Shilo's too! Great atmosphere! (I believe I was told it's pronounce "Shee-lo's"....but someone correct me I have that backwards.

Anthony also made a good point that the hill country and surrounding towns have more home grown and long established German fair. Oma's in New Braunfels.....and downtown there is/was? a great little bakery almost at the square (can't remember the name)....but great breads and pastries!!

I also got lucky and acquired a cookbook from Fredericksburg published in 1916! It was put together by the Women's auxillary to help fund the public schools. The recipes are mind boggling! Obviously the ingredients were much different than what we can pick up at HEB!

Some of the more interesting dishes:

Liver Dumpling Soup
Jellied Chicken
Haunch of Venison
White Fricassee of Tongue
Deviled Radishes
Bishop Whipple Pudding
Fried Cauliflower
Apple Snow
White Lebkuchen
Hermits
Fig Fudge and
Chow Chow

Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,080 times
Fried cauliflower sounds like it could either be really delicious or totally horrific. But I'm intrigued!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
Fried cauliflower sounds like it could either be really delicious or totally horrific. But I'm intrigued!
Want the recipe??? It's pretty easy!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:00 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,080 times
I have to ask, have you tried it out yet? I'm a litle afraid of the cauliflower stench that might arise!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
I have to ask, have you tried it out yet? I'm a litle afraid of the cauliflower stench that might arise!
Me COOK? LOL! Well...not this kind of cooking. But I do like raw cauliflower!
And no, I haven't made anything in this cook book! It's more fun to read while microwaving something!

Here's the recipe exactly as it reads:

Fried Cauliflower

Boil the cauliflower until half done. Mix two tablespoonfuls of flour with the yolks of two eggs, then add water enough to make a thin paste. Add salt to taste and two well beaten whites of eggs. Dip each branch of cauliflower into the mixture, and fry in hot lard. When done, take out with a skimmer, turn into a collander, dust with salt and serve hot.

submitted by Mrs. Joe Stein of Fredericksburg - 1916

Old 11-10-2007, 04:43 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
The second best German restaurant in SA is in Kirby on Hwy 78. The best is in my kitchen, I married a German lady

Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 AM

173 posts, read 617,256 times
Old World and Schilo's are awesome.
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Welfare Cafe. It's in Welfare, TX....go IH10 just past Boerne and take the Welfare exit.....you'll run right into it. The cafe used to be the town's Post Office/dry goods store/gas station. The owners really made it into an eclectic place and their outdoor dining is terrific. Now that it's cooling off a bit we plan on getting out there soon to get some good Jagerschnitzel and Paulaner!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:48 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnative View Post
Old World and Schilo's are awesome.
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Welfare Cafe. It's in Welfare, TX....go IH10 just past Boerne and take the Welfare exit.....you'll run right into it. The cafe used to be the town's Post Office/dry goods store/gas station. The owners really made it into an eclectic place and their outdoor dining is terrific. Now that it's cooling off a bit we plan on getting out there soon to get some good Jagerschnitzel and Paulaner!
Wow, gonna have to check that out!

I refused to eat at any German restaurants when we first we moved here in 1999, simply because we came here after living in Germany for four years. We went to the Wurst Fest in New Braunfels once and weren't too impressed; but again we had pretty high standards as we went to a lot of village fests while in Germany. I think the idea of "Wurst Tacos" put us off. Plus, I grew up in Germany as a kid (born in Frankfurt and my mother is from Würzburg), and I travel back once or twice a year for work, so I can get my fix of schnitzel and Pils then.

We do love Shilos (had breakfast there just this past week) and the Old World Restaurant on Babcock is pretty good; but as I was able to have the real deal as recently as late July when I spent a week in Garmisch, it usually satisfies my cravings for the time being. But if the time between trips gets too long, this is good info to know!

Tschüss! M2

Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Wow, gonna have to check that out!

I refused to eat at any German restaurants when we first we moved here in 1999, simply because we came here after living in Germany for four years. We went to the Wurst Fest in New Braunfels once and weren't too impressed; but again we had pretty high standards as we went to a lot of village fests while in Germany. I think the idea of "Wurst Tacos" put us off. Plus, I grew up in Germany as a kid (born in Frankfurt and my mother is from Würzburg), and I travel back once or twice a year for work, so I can get my fix of schnitzel and Pils then.

We do love Shilos (had breakfast there just this past week) and the Old World Restaurant on Babcock is pretty good; but as I was able to have the real deal as recently as late July when I spent a week in Garmisch, it usually satisfies my cravings for the time being. But if the time between trips gets too long, this is good info to know!

Tschüss! M2
Hey MMM! I felt the same way about French food when we moved back from Paris. There was NOTHING in Texas that even came close back then. We spent many holidays in Garmisch!!!! One Christmas especially when I learned how to ice skate. I was certain Santa was on the roof of our hotel!!! We heard jingle bell and all! I always look back wonder if the hotel manager arranged that...but it was magical for a 6 year old! What great memories!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio