Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:20 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
Those waitresses have been there for forty years, at least... and still have the same hairdos to show for it! Schilo's rocks!

You may also want to head to New Braunfels (closer than Fredericksburg) for German food. And if you want to check out the original "German" part of SA, visit the historic King William district. The Guenther House doesn't serve German food but is a beautiful example of the influence of that era (plus it's just a great place to get breakfast!).
Schilo's does rock for sure Celeste! I ate at Schilo's both times I visited SA back in 2003 and 2004.:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
I found this in Wikipedia under "barbecue". It mentions German influence in Central Texas but I included South Texas for obvious reasons...

Central Texas

Central Texas was settled by German and Czech settlers in the mid 1800s, and they brought with them European-style meat markets, which would smoke leftover cuts of pork and beef, often with high heat, using primarily native oak and pecan. The European settlers did not think of this meat as barbecue, but the Anglo farm workers who bought it started calling it such, and the name stuck. Traditionally this barbecue is served without sauce, and with no sides other than saltine crackers, pickles, and onions. This area also produces sausages derived from German influences, such as Elgin hot links. This style is found in the Barbecue Belt southeast of Austin, with Lockhart as its capital.

South Texas

The border between the South Texas Plains and Northern Mexico has always been blurry, and this area of Texas, as well as its barbecue style, are mostly influenced by Mexican tastes. The area was the birthplace of the Texas ranching tradition, and the Mexican farmhands were often partially paid for their work in less desirable cuts of meat, such as the diaphragm, from which fajitas are made, and the cow's head. They would wrap the head in wet maguey leaves and bury it in a pit with hot coals for several hours, and then pull off the meat for barbacoa tacos. The tongue is also used to make lengua tacos. Today, barbacoa is mostly cooked in an oven in a bain-marie.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I found this in Wikipedia under "barbecue". It mentions German influence in Central Texas but I included South Texas for obvious reasons...

Central Texas

Central Texas was settled by German and Czech settlers in the mid 1800s, and they brought with them European-style meat markets, which would smoke leftover cuts of pork and beef, often with high heat, using primarily native oak and pecan. The European settlers did not think of this meat as barbecue, but the Anglo farm workers who bought it started calling it such, and the name stuck. Traditionally this barbecue is served without sauce, and with no sides other than saltine crackers, pickles, and onions. This area also produces sausages derived from German influences, such as Elgin hot links. This style is found in the Barbecue Belt southeast of Austin, with Lockhart as its capital.

South Texas

The border between the South Texas Plains and Northern Mexico has always been blurry, and this area of Texas, as well as its barbecue style, are mostly influenced by Mexican tastes. The area was the birthplace of the Texas ranching tradition, and the Mexican farmhands were often partially paid for their work in less desirable cuts of meat, such as the diaphragm, from which fajitas are made, and the cow's head. They would wrap the head in wet maguey leaves and bury it in a pit with hot coals for several hours, and then pull off the meat for barbacoa tacos. The tongue is also used to make lengua tacos. Today, barbacoa is mostly cooked in an oven in a bain-marie.
Interesting info Ozzy!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Schilo's does rock for sure Celeste! I ate at Schilo's both times I visited SA back in 2003 and 2004.:-)

I didnt like Schilos that much.. it is more Amercanized then anything else.. tried to get a wiener schnitzel there for lunch.. and no luck.. the red cabbage wasnt that good either... but that is my opinion...

Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
I agree, I took my boys to lunch there yesterday and whereas it is a good deli to eat at, the food really isn't that "German" anymore. Their root beer is excellent and everything I have had there has been delicious; but I wouldn't consider "She-lows" (as it is properly pronounced) to be a German restaurant...

Cheers! M2

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,036 times
New Braunsfels

Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garflick View Post
New Braunsfels
Actually, it is New Braunfels (only one 's,' at the end); and what about it? It's been mentioned numerous (20) times throughout this 10-page thread (see my review of the Freisenhaus, for example; or the remarks about Oma's or Naegelin's Bakery), or are you just answering the original question?

Cheers! M2

Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Actually, it is New Braunfels (only one 's,' at the end); and what about it? It's been mentioned numerous (20) times throughout this 10-page thread (see my review of the Freisenhaus, for example; or the remarks about Oma's or Naegelin's Bakery), or are you just answering the original question?

Cheers! M2
New Braunfels is a nice little town! I do hope to return there one day.:-)

Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
Do any of the German restaurants in the area have spaetzle? We went to Oma's in New Braunfels a few weeks ago and couldn't believe spaetzle was not an option for a side dish. I know side dishes typically vary by region, but we lived in Germany for 2 1/2 years (Rheinland-Pfalz region) plus traveled for long weekends or a 1 to 2 week stay to several different cities throughout the country and there was generally spaetzle or another egg noodle product no matter the region. Also always salad with the wonderful dressing. Almost always some type of potato.
I love spaetzle buffy! I've had it both here in America and in Munich when I went there back in 2000.:-)

Old 08-21-2008, 01:48 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Sadly, I just discovered yesterday that the Old Heidelberg Restaurant on San Pedro is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio