Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:05 AM

634 posts, read 2,922,639 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any Mexican goods stores and bakeries in town?

Ironically, I haven't seen one Mexican food store yet! With 60% of the population being Latino or related to Latino.

In Warner Robins in Georgia, Hispanics were around 5% of the population yet their were 3 Mexican tiendas in town and a bakery shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:33 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
Perhaps you are living in the wrong side of town. I had a coworker who moved here and bitched about the lack of tortillerias and panaderias. Where did he live?

Stone Oak.

Yeah, not a whole lot of traditional Mexican businesses out there (though Delicious Tamales just opened a branch on Sonterra Blvd)

I go to law school at St Marys, which is between Culebra and Bandera several miles inside the loop on the West side, and there are carnicerias and panaderias as far as the eye can see. I drive by one on Cincinnati every day - I think the cross-street is Zarzamora.

Mi Tierra, on Market Square, has a huge bakery counter. They make everything fresh in the basement, and they also make Mexican candy, including my favorite, the brick of solid coconut.

Also, there really aren't stores JUST for Mexican food here. HEB does a good job of stocking traditional Mexican foodstuffs, so there's not much call for separate stores. Several departments within HEB will have shelfspace turned over to Mexican goods - like, in the laundry section there is always a section of Mexican brands of detergent, and in the baking section there is always a section of things like Mexican brands of chocolate (Abuelita chocolate is my favorite - makes killer cocoa). There is a store on San Pedro inside the loop that sells Central and South American groceries, if you are in the mood for pupusas.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 AM

925 posts, read 1,227,806 times
There aren't any large Mexican Tiendas but there will be groups of smaller versions in the heavily Mexican cultured on the west side. Or you can just go to Market Square downtown. As for bakeries, I like La Popular.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
I second Mi Tierras bakery items. It's a touristy restaraunt, but they do specialize in the authentic fresh baked Mexican baked goods!

I also agree that the part of town makes a difference. Near West and Near South side will have what you're looking for.

I have to giggle a little about HEB's "Mexican food" aisle. Yes...they do have quite a bit, but my eyes bugged out when I noticed the label to the aisle was changed to the politically correct "Hispanic Foods"! While I understand that there are MANY latino cultures, San Antonio is predominantly MEXICAN. It truly is mostly MEXICAN food. I don't understand not embracing that! Oh well....

Old 11-10-2007, 08:44 AM

925 posts, read 1,227,806 times
FYI, there are several La Popular bakeries around the city.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:53 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
Perhaps you are living in the wrong side of town. I had a coworker who moved here and bitched about the lack of tortillerias and panaderias. Where did he live?

Stone Oak.

Yeah, not a whole lot of traditional Mexican businesses out there (though Delicious Tamales just opened a branch on Sonterra Blvd)
I too have lamented the lack of Mexican businesses on this side, but its slowly changing. In addition to Delicious Tamales, Rio's Barbacoa Express opened up this year on Blanco Rd. Their ad in the Stone Oak newsletter says "Bringing the Southside to your side!".

Old 11-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Thank you for all of the information!

I live on the Northside, but I have drove all over San Antonio and haven't seen any Panaderias that remind me of the one in Georgia.

They sold some wonderful churros there!

Old 11-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I have to giggle a little about HEB's "Mexican food" aisle. Yes...they do have quite a bit, but my eyes bugged out when I noticed the label to the aisle was changed to the politically correct "Hispanic Foods"! While I understand that there are MANY latino cultures, San Antonio is predominantly MEXICAN. It truly is mostly MEXICAN food. I don't understand not embracing that! Oh well....
Well that's the kind of thing.
I don't want to go to HEB. I want to go to an authentic Mexican family owned bakery.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
Quote:
I too have lamented the lack of Mexican businesses on this side, but its slowly changing. In addition to Delicious Tamales, Rio's Barbacoa Express opened up this year on Blanco Rd. Their ad in the Stone Oak newsletter says "Bringing the Southside to your side!".
That made me snort Dr Pepper out my nose. I'm glad the Northside is getting some good local places like that, finally.

I admit that part of the reason I am happy that Delicious opened a branch in Stone Oak is that perhaps it will draw off some of the holiday crowds and I won't have to wake up at 4:30 to get in a line half a block long by 5:20 to get tamales for Christmas Eve.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:40 AM

I'm tired of chain restaurants already, I've been here for 3 months coming from England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio