Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
As the holidays approach, I'm looking for local stores (not internet) where I can shop for gifts that are environmentally friendly or socially-responsible. I don't have any specific types of gifts in mind yet, so any suggestions are appreciated. And since I'm trying to be "greener" and more responsible in all my purchasing habits, I also appreciate suggestions for any type of store or business that you consider to be worth patronizing. FWIW - I'm geographically located in Central SA but can do business anywhere in the area. Thanks!
Well, it's a shame you won't consider online.... let me tell you what I did/am doing for my immediate family members this Christmas...

I receive a daily 'click' reminder to feed animals, to save rainforest areas, contribute to child health, literacy, and support breast cancer research and treatment... You may be aware of this; they send one email everyday and you click across the top tabs, very quick and easy....

This year, I ordered at least ONE item for everyone on my gift list from the Rainforest site. They are reasonable, have a HUGE inventory, and I found something that every single person will love....

Once you click to order, the next page that pops up & tells you the following:
>>> "Thank you, Your purchase saved 1145.0 sq ft of Rainforest
acreage." <<<<
I print this page out, black out the price, HIGHLIGHT the note about saved land, and wrap the gift in that piece of paper.......

All of my family members (those of us that speak to each other ) are concerned about global warming. I haven't done this before, but I'm guessing/hoping, that they will have a strong postitive reaction to this one particular gift.
I had bought them or am buying them other stuff off their wish lists, but these are inexpensive, so I don't mind adding them as stocking stuffers.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 PM

374 posts, read 982,706 times
Offensive!

Last edited by hamjeepr; 11-13-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post
Offensive!
I'm not quite sure what's so offensive, hamjeepr.

Pops and rd2007, your choice to buy online is certainly understandable and has merit. I don't want to get into a debate on the issue of eco-impact of shipping vs. buying local... there are tons of articles out there on the web that look at all sides of this issue. I'm no purist... I believe that simply being more aware and taking whatever small steps you feel are appropriate for you is positive action.

That said, the reason I started this thread is because I believe it's important to patronize locally owned businesses, especially when they offer unique or desirable alternatives to big box or net-based retailers. One big problem small local retailers have is lack of awareness and name recognition, and I have yet to find a directory of "green" businesses in San Antonio.

So, again - folks if you know of an SA-area business that sells eco-friendly products, or operates in an environmentally or socially responsible manner, please share!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM

107 posts, read 412,741 times
Default Green Guide to San Antonio

The San Antonio American Institute of Architects published a "Green Guide to San Antonio" earlier this year. It's got some nice articles and a map of local businesses. The complete guide can probably be picked up at the AIA offices, but I think you'd be happy to see the map is online. Click and Enjoy.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Thumbs up Green Guide

Thanks! The map is really nice with a lot of information I wasn't aware of. From a consumer standpoint, it lists restaurants and grocery stores that are local or "green"... but no retail establishments. I'll see if I can get a copy of the full guide from AIA. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Restaurants

These technically aren't shops to buy holiday gifts at, but I thought I'd throw them in the mix. I'm personally not a vegetarian but will probably get some gift certificates for friends because they love these places. (word to the wise, once you try the sweet potato fries at Green, you will never be able to get enough)

Green vegetarian cuisine
1017 North Flores San Antonio, TX 78212 (just north of the intersection I-35 downtown)
210-320-5865
green vegetarian cuisine - San Antonio's Only Vegetarian Restaurant

The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe (everything they serve - breads, pizzas, cakes, etc. - is gluten-free and they really go out of their way to help people with food allergies)
3610 Avenue B San Antonio TX 78209 (right next to Brackenridge Park in one of those cute little remodeled houses)
phone 210 826 7877
San Antonio Bakery & Cafe - Gluten Free The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe

Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
These technically aren't shops to buy holiday gifts at, but I thought I'd throw them in the mix. I'm personally not a vegetarian but will probably get some gift certificates for friends because they love these places. (word to the wise, once you try the sweet potato fries at Green, you will never be able to get enough)
Can I be your friend??!!! Yes, a gift cert from Green (my personal fave) would make a great gift! And you are SOOOOOOOO write about the sweet potato fries!! Same thing with the blueberry pancakes, and the Sesame Chikin!! mmmmmmmmmm........ (and the chocolate cake, and the curry yellow squash, and the neatloaf, and the............)

Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,848 times
shopping at the very best can only be pale green.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Greenling organic/locally-grown grocery delivery

This article just ran in today's Express-News about Greenling's delivery service based in San Marcos, serving Austin and San Antonio.
MySA.com: Business (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA112107.01E.InternetGroceries.1d30446.html - broken link)

Oh, and FYI - I have nothing to do with this company nor do I know anyone there. Just like the idea of having great, fresh local food delivered.

Last edited by CelesteDF; 11-22-2007 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-29-2007, 08:39 AM

107 posts, read 412,741 times
Here's another page about the San Anotnio Green Map with more directions on where you can get one. Downtown San Antonio Texas | Green Map System

The plan is to keep it updated so if anyone has some more businesses that should be added, post them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio