Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 AM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times

Advertisements

As the holidays approach, I'm looking for local stores (not internet) where I can shop for gifts that are environmentally friendly or socially-responsible. I don't have any specific types of gifts in mind yet, so any suggestions are appreciated. And since I'm trying to be "greener" and more responsible in all my purchasing habits, I also appreciate suggestions for any type of store or business that you consider to be worth patronizing. FWIW - I'm geographically located in Central SA but can do business anywhere in the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 AM

140 posts, read 508,656 times
Sun Harvest Markets are pretty good with their greener type items.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 AM

107 posts, read 412,635 times
Whole Earth in the quarry. Big grass bamboo on Hildebrand. Those are kind of cliche green places, but they have good stuff. I'm sure buying art/pottery/etc from the Southtown dealers would be relatively guilt free.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,587 times
Or you can go to Austin....

Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
Thanks for those suggestions, folks... I checked out those places online and am posting links for those who want to see what they've got:
www.wholeearthprovision.com and www.biggrass-bamboo.com and www.sun-harvest.com Cool stuff in all places.

I would hope that SA has more green resources for shoppers and that we aren't reduced to the old "go to Austin" lament. Seriously, I know there are a LOT of folks in the SA area who are environmentally and socially conscious - so please share a tip for putting your money where your mouth is. Thanks all!

Last edited by CelesteDF; 11-12-2007 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: forgot to include link to Sun Harvest

Old 11-12-2007, 07:12 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
Clothesline Cleaners is a green "dry cleaner" - they don't use the chemicals other dry cleaners use and they are powered partially with windtricity.
Clothesline Cleaners

Here is a list of other businesses that are 100% powered with windtricity.
Windtricity Users (broken link)

Old 11-13-2007, 02:15 PM

107 posts, read 412,635 times
Default Green Fundraiser

So I just got an email about a Green Building Council fundraiser at Big Grass on Thursday evening. Here's the link. 10% of sales will go to the local GBC.

[SIZE=1]Big Grass Bamboo sells sustainable home decor made of renewable materials that support rural artisans and preserve traditional cultures.
At the party you'll get a sneak peek at the newest items straight off the boat from Thailand - fantastic style you won't find anywhere else.
[/SIZE][SIZE=1] You'll be the holiday star with the most original gifts when you shop at Big Grass Bamboo & support USGBC's growth in Texas!
[/SIZE]

Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Surprised nobody has mentioned that driving to "green" stores isn't exactly being "green"..

I personally buy most things on the internet now and have saved quite a bit of money in wasted gas driving around to stores that often times didn't have what I wanted in them.. I look at it this way: driving to a store and back probably is going to cost at least $5 in my premium fuel burning vehicle and that's also about the average delivery cost of something ordered online. I don't waste gas, one less vehicle is congesting the road, a delivery driver is one step closer to ensuring they'll still have a job tomorrow, modern methods for delivering merchandise are about as streamlined and unwasteful as they come, and I get a little extra relaxation by not being on the road with the drivers I've come to seriously hate lately.. I figure it's nothing but a big win all around

Old 11-13-2007, 03:49 PM

454 posts, read 504,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned that driving to "green" stores isn't exactly being "green"..

I personally buy most things on the internet now and have saved quite a bit of money in wasted gas driving around to stores that often times didn't have what I wanted in them.. I look at it this way: driving to a store and back probably is going to cost at least $5 in my premium fuel burning vehicle and that's also about the average delivery cost of something ordered online. I don't waste gas, one less vehicle is congesting the road, a delivery driver is one step closer to ensuring they'll still have a job tomorrow, modern methods for delivering merchandise are about as streamlined and unwasteful as they come, and I get a little extra relaxation by not being on the road with the drivers I've come to seriously hate lately.. I figure it's nothing but a big win all around
I'm all for driving less, but I also like to support local businesses.

One way to help is by driving a fuel efficient car (I've got a hybrid), calling first to check they have what you need, and planning your errands to minimize distance driven.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I totally agree with the planning the driving part. If I go to multiple stores I drive in a way that minimzes the miles driven. Other people I know go all over the place with no thought of where they're going and how best to get there and end up driving at least twice as many miles as they should have.

I'll reserve my opinions of hybrids for another time and place, or an episode of South Park..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio