Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM

24 posts, read 67,987 times

Advertisements

I need some help and any assistance you can give would be appreciated. I will be working in downtown San Antonio and my husband will be working in Wimberley. We have a 3-year old son, so are really interested in preschools and schools in general. We don't know that much about the area and will be moving in the summer and have narrowed down the areas we are interested in to these 3. I am very concerned about keeping the commute time down and about being in a good area with good schools and in a place that is family-oriented. Any thoughts or suggestions on which is a better fit for us with the commutes, etc.? Also any suggestions on neighborhoods would be great. We are looking to spend maximum in the mid-100's for a house right now.

Thanks so much -- this forum is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 04:17 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
It sounds like both of you are going to have really bad commutes no matter where you live, and in opposite directions on top of it all.

New Braunfels to downtown SA would be just horrendous. I really think it's just too far to go on a daily basis with all of the traffic on 35. Schertz or Cibolo would be the best option, because at least that way the commutes would be about equal in length, though you will still be forced to go down 35 to downtown.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Bump

Just giving this a bump in the hopes that more will reply -- I really need the help!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:08 AM

81 posts, read 230,469 times
You can probably rule out Bulverde as it would be nearly impossible to find a house around 150K and the commute to and from downtown SA (at least during typical commuting hours) would be over an hour.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 AM

17 posts, read 78,731 times
I would recommend Cibolo as well, which would be right in the middle of both of your commutes. You will be traveling in opposite directions but one will not have a longer commute than the other. Cibolo is right off IH-35 so getting on the highway would be very easy, also Cibolo ISD has some the highest rank schools. Cibolo development has been high in the recent years as well.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,746 times
I live in Schertz and would highly recommend Schertz or Cibolo for you. I'm not familiar with Cibolo schools, but Schertz schools are very good. My son goes to Paschal elementary, which is on Schertz Parkway. We live in Jonas Woods and it is probably one of the best, if not the best, neighborhood in Schertz..very family friendly. Schertz was recently named one of the best places to live by Money magazine, I think the highest ranked in Texas if I remember correctly. Pre-schools in the area are limited (really good ones) unless you pick a private school (Christian/Catholic, etc.) which is what my daughter is in and we love it.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Is there any way you could tell me where yours goes? I think, from all the information we've received, we have narrowed it down to Schertz/Cibolo and I'm freaking out now a little about finding a good preschool, pediatrician, pediatric dentist, etc... I would love some imput if you can give it. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,334 times
Schertz is the perfect place to raise a family... if you want your children to be taught by backward-thinking dimwits that have never left the state of Texas, which will in turn make your kids apathetic slackers who will spend all day, every day smoking pot and playing Halo because there's nothing better to do there.
That statement is based on experience, having graduated from high school in San Antonio and knowing people who went to Clemens and Steele. That's what you'll find.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM

374 posts, read 982,396 times
Schertz/Cibolo is it. Look at the Northcliffe / Scenic Hills subdivision. The houses start around $130K and go up. You will be just off of I-35 so it will be easy to jump on and go. We are in the part of Northcliffe that is in Comal County and our daughter goes to Comal Elementary. It is an outstanding school with teachers that care. It's also only about 2 miles away so easy to drop off/pick up the kids. Wimberly is basically back roads much of the way but they run fast. DT SA is not going to fun no matter what. It is also a golf course community and has city/community pools available during the summer so there is plenty to do right in the neighborhood. The entrance is on the I-35 Northbound access road. Look just north of 1103 on the map. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:45 PM

925 posts, read 1,226,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11223344 View Post
Schertz is the perfect place to raise a family... if you want your children to be taught by backward-thinking dimwits that have never left the state of Texas, which will in turn make your kids apathetic slackers who will spend all day, every day smoking pot and playing Halo because there's nothing better to do there.
That statement is based on experience, having graduated from high school in San Antonio and knowing people who went to Clemens and Steele. That's what you'll find.
Didn't Steele open like two years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio