Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I think you got the wrong impression, of course going back to your other posts you've never lived in a major city outside of Minneapolis, a city that's decidedly homogenous in it's population.
How is the population there homogeneous? Economically? Lacking transplants from other regions of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Really? Either you went to some incredibly isolated schools or they just didn't bother. On all the campus I've been (outside TX), such alerts were standard place.

As for Orange County, I know it very very well, and schools there have just as much crime as any here.

Just a datapoint, but Nope. I grew up in SoCal, have lived all over the country as well as a number of cities abroad. I moved to SA as a single woman in my 30s. I am NOT a native. There is a lot I don't like about San Antonio, but, at least where I live, it's great. While my neighborhood is a mix of low income folks as well as multi-6-figure earners, of all education levels, I actually feel much safer here than I ever have in Orange County, CA. Stuff happens from time to time, like any big city, but I am comfortable walking home at night, for example (tho I wouldn't be in Stone Oak - just because people don't do that there).

I am sorry you have found it not to your liking. It's not for everyone (and if I lived where you're living, I wouldn't like it either), but this is not a defense. Merely offering a counter argument when people suggest that only natives can possibly like it here. Those of us non-natives can see what's wrong, but have enough experience to either deal with it, or address it head on.
On the schools I don't know, I've just never personally encountered that before I suppose it depends on the particular school and location. I totally wasn't inferring at all that only non-natives can enjoy it, like I said SA has a lot to offer, it's just not for me. And it might not be for OP either, or maybe it will be! Who knows. I just wanted to back up his observations with my own because I think it's important to hear both good and bad before moving anywhere.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
How is the population there homogeneous? Economically? Lacking transplants from other regions of the country?
Over 60% white alone, in a state that is 85% white. Less than 10% Latino.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
I'm finishing up some transfer credits at a community college in a fairly ok area (originally planned to transfer to a university here) but the college sends out "crime alert" emails every few weeks and recently, an especially long winded message about being careful walking to your car at night. Ummm?? It's weird because people don't seem to find that odd, whereas nowhere I've ever lived before has had that at their schools.
You must have lived a very sheltered life. With the requirements for campuses to report all crimes, this kind of warning has become common, even at rural colleges where you would not expect much crime.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Over 60% white alone, in a state that is 85% white. Less than 10% Latino.
....and Latino and white alone are the only ethnic groups that count? San Antonio is less than 3% Asian and less than 7% black. How is Minneapolis' white population different from San Antonio being over 60% Hispanic (over 91% of Mexican origin)? I would argue that Minneapolis' minority population is more ethnically diverse. The majority populations between the two cities make up almost the same proportion.

San Antonio
Hispanic of any race - 62.3%
Non-Hispanic White - 26.6%
Black - 6.9%
Asian - 2.4%
Native American - 0.9%
Other Races - 13.4% (this is what Hispanics usually check when they don't want to choose white)
Two or More Races - 3.4%

Minneapolis
Non-Hispanic White - 63.8% (much more variation in national origin than San Antonio's Hispanic population)
Black - 18.6%
Hispanic of any race- 10.5%
Asian - 5.6%
Native American - 2.0%
Other - 5.6%
Multiracial - 4.4%

Last edited by L210; 08-11-2013 at 11:18 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 PM

L210, I was actually giving minneapolis far too much credit, I decided to look at the whole county that Minneapolis sits in since more almost 2/3 of the population there lives outside of the official minneapolis city limit. It's over 76% White, 12% black 7% Latino. It's overwhelmingly white. Also looking at various census tracts using the NYT mapping tool it's easy to see many tracts that are 90+ percent white some even 97% percent white. Others show a significant signs of white flight happening.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
L210, I was actually giving minneapolis far too much credit, I decided to look at the whole county that Minneapolis sits in since more almost 2/3 of the population there lives outside of the official minneapolis city limit. It's over 76% White, 12% black 7% Latino. It's overwhelmingly white. Also looking at various census tracts using the NYT mapping tool it's easy to see many tracts that are 90+ percent white some even 97% percent white. Others show a significant signs of white flight happening.
And Bexar County is only 8.1% black and 2.7% Asian. You can easily see white flight here. The area inside 410 is overwhelming Hispanic. Much of the area around of 1604 is majority white alone even though they make up a minority in the county. Almost all of the black people live on the eastern part of the county.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
You can try to deflect all you want by pointing to cities with more white flight, but it doesn't change the fact that most of the people who are causing San Antonio to expand northward are white.
That's not white flight. White flight are people defecting from areas that are majority white and moving when nonwhites move in. Many neighborhoods in San Antonio from first establishment had a sizable nonwhite population. Just because new neighborhoods on the Northside are whiter than areas inside doesn't prove white flight. You would have to show quick, almost 180 degree flip in demographics , and by quick I mean less that 10 years closer to 5. This is way off topic by the way. I still stand by my original statement that the Minneapolis-St Paul metro is far more homogeneous than the San Antonio metro area.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
What does this have to do with anything? So the city Minneapolis has less land than the city of San Antonio. It also has 1/4 of the population.
That's why I said I was giving Minneapolis too much credit, unlike here where San Antonio has a strong annexation policy and dominates Bexar county. Minneapolis doesn't which is why it's fair to compare county and metro.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 AM

169 posts, read 392,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
I believe your perspective is definitely driven by where you live now.
That was EXACTLY my first thought.

I can tell you that when my wife and I visited in June from the San Francisco Bay Area, we had the exact opposite impression. We could not believe how few homeless there were downtown (compared to SF and Oakland) and as we drove through Stone Oak & Alamo Ranch we were very impressed with how nice most of the neighborhoods were. Of course, in California we live in an 1100 s/f house built in 1960, in a "run down" neighborhood, and it's valued at nearly $400k. Just think about what you can get in San Antonio for that! Not to mention the horrible condition of our roads, the congestion, the sub-par schools, and the extremely high cost of EVERYTHING.

And this, of course, is why we will be moving to San Antonio in less than two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio