Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,936,878 times

Advertisements

To my pleasant surprise, I saw a bumper sticker which read "Hector P Garcia Gladiators". I found out that this is a local Northside ISD school located on Wynne Seale Pkwy in the anglo dominated North Central (west?) area of the city. I'm pleasantly surprised that they wouldn't relegate it to a Westside school where there are more Hispanics or maybe not consider it at all. I suppose that it would seem impossible in the era when I grew up to name a high school for a Mexican-American, much less one in an area of town that seems Anglo dominated. My hometown (Corpus Christi) is currently taking nominations for a new high school which will be completed in 2015. I'd like to also see it named for such a selfless man who made things so much better for this country and state.
Was there any controversy or ruffled feathers that went on when they proposed naming this HS for Dr Garcia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM

360 posts, read 770,703 times
Google has secretly informed me that Garcia HS is really a Garcia M.S.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:57 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,306,868 times
Yep it's a middle school that dumps into BRANDEIS HS.

Quote:
This famous quote from Louis D. Brandeis is window to the man who dedicated his life to public service, first as an attorney fighting for the rights of the common man, and later as a U.S. Supreme Court Justice protecting the laws of the land.
Born in Louisville, Kentucky in 1856, Brandeis excelled in school and enrolled in Harvard Law School at the age of 19 without any prior formal education. He graduated two years later as class valedictorian.
Brandeis | Northside Independent School District

Old 08-13-2013, 03:08 PM

191 posts, read 445,737 times
Anglo dominated?
I live in the area. I am Hispanic, my neighbors are Hispanic, Mexican, Brazilian, African, and White(and those are the 5 houses that surround me).
Noone cared that it was named after a Hispanic. If they cared, I doubt they would live in a city named San Antonio.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:25 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,395,748 times
Nobody cares that a school is named for a Hispanic person. Racism is dwindling in this country and really only exists in public because folks keep bringing it up. 99.9% of the folks out there don't care about race. Then there are the race baiters that need to bring it up and try and drum up a controversy that just isn't there (ie Jackson, Sharpton, LaRaza, etc)

Nobody. Cares.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM

302 posts, read 1,150,787 times
I think the only "controversy" regarding the school would have been to do with the mascot, a gladiator. He used to have a sword and shield. Now only has a shield and a balled up fist. He's a kinder and gentler gladiator these days apparantly.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM

894 posts, read 1,536,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcavazos View Post
Anglo dominated?
I live in the area. I am Hispanic, my neighbors are Hispanic, Mexican, Brazilian, African, and White(and those are the 5 houses that surround me).
Noone cared that it was named after a Hispanic. If they cared, I doubt they would live in a city named San Antonio.
I'm with you brother. I'm "Anglo" and live in the area too and my observation is the same as yours...we all seem to have in common a drive for a better life and a good community to live it in.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,936,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
I'm with you brother. I'm "Anglo" and live in the area too and my observation is the same as yours...we all seem to have in common a drive for a better life and a good community to live it in.
I'm glad to see such positive responses from all of you. I'm hoping that Corpus Christi will feel the same way and name its new high school for a man who is truly deserving of the honor.... Dr Hector P Garcia.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,473,877 times
"Was there any controversy or ruffled feathers that went on when they proposed naming this HS for Dr Garcia?"

No, there wasn't.
Seems that you want to ruffle feathers by creating this thread though. Racism is never going to stop until people stop bringing up ridiculous assumptions such as this. Find something more productive to do.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,794,966 times
So true TXTEA!!! Which is why certain individuals should not be allowed on national broadcasts who are definitely race baiters. Their names have already been mentioned above. I am sure there are more. I don't ask if there were ruffled feathers when a school is named after a white Supreme Court Justice. Cmon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: