Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 05:16 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times

Advertisements

Internet tough guys, LOLz.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:31 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
An update we have enough sigs to start a recall for bernal, I'm waiting for the count on the NDO, last week we were very very close.
Are you elderly and Anglo? You know only the "old anglos" would dare to protest and collect signatures against the ordinance.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:15 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
An update we have enough sigs to start a recall for bernal, I'm waiting for the count on the NDO, last week we were very very close.
Totally honest question: What's the recall mechanism for an ordinance?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:48 PM

243 posts, read 333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Totally honest question: What's the recall mechanism for an ordinance?
Hope this helps. This is the rule for recall of someone from the city council. As far as the ordinance itself I really don't know.

ARTICLE IV.
RECALL, INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM

Sec. 26. Recall provisions.

Any member of the council may be removed from office by recall. A petition stating the general grounds on which removal of a district or ward council member is sought shall be signed by qualified electors equal in number to ten (10) per cent of those electors who were qualified to vote in such ward or district at the time of the last regular municipal election, and shall be filed by any qualified elector of the district or ward with the city clerk.

A petition stating the general grounds on which removal of the council member serving as mayor is sought shall be signed by qualified electors equal in number to ten (10) per cent of those electors who were qualified to vote at the time of the last regular municipal election, and shall be filed by any qualified elector of the city with the city clerk.

A separate petition shall be circulated with respect to each member of council whose removal is sought. (Ord. No. 47304, § 1 (Prop. 1), 10-27-76)

Old 10-13-2013, 07:59 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Hope this helps. This is the rule for recall of someone from the city council. As far as the ordinance itself I really don't know.

ARTICLE IV.

Any member of the council may be removed from office by recall. A petition stating the general grounds on which removal of a district or ward council member is sought shall be signed by qualified electors equal in number to ten (10) per cent of those electors who were qualified to vote in such ward or district at the time of the last regular municipal election, and shall be filed by any qualified elector of the district or ward with the city clerk.

A petition stating the general grounds on which removal of the council member serving as mayor is sought shall be signed by qualified electors equal in number to ten (10) per cent of those electors who were qualified to vote at the time of the last regular municipal election, and shall be filed by any qualified elector of the city with the city clerk.

A separate petition shall be circulated with respect to each member of council whose removal is sought. (Ord. No. 47304, § 1 (Prop. 1), 10-27-76)
Yeah, I knew about recalling officials--but I'd never heard of recalling ordinances.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post

ARTICLE IV.

What strikes me as unfair about this process is that ANYONE who was eligible at the time of the election (BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY GET THEIR BUTTS OUT TO VOTE) can sign for this recall petition. That's just way too easy! It should be limited to 10% of those civic minded citizens who actually took the time to vote in the election.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 PM

243 posts, read 333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
What strikes me as unfair about this process is that ANYONE who was eligible at the time of the election (BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY GET THEIR BUTTS OUT TO VOTE) can sign for this recall petition. That's just way too easy! It should be limited to 10% of those civic minded citizens who actually took the time to vote in the election.
I really don't disagree with what you are saying. If you don't vote then don't complain afterwards. Seems only fair.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 PM

487 posts, read 1,117,886 times
A neighbor who happens to be Mormon called me tonight and asked if I had a chance to sign "THE" petition yet. I said what petition? She said the one to overturn the recent ordinance granting protection for gays, etc. I said, and veterans? She said yes.
I said I wouldn't be signing. Anything that limits or helps control discrimination of any kind was good with me.
I'm an old Christian conservative married for 35 years. I think I probably shocked her!
Just an example of why we shouldn't judge people. You don't know what's in their heart!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
A neighbor who happens to be Mormon called me tonight and asked if I had a chance to sign "THE" petition yet. I said what petition? She said the one to overturn the recent ordinance granting protection for gays, etc. I said, and veterans? She said yes.
I said I wouldn't be signing. Anything that limits or helps control discrimination of any kind was good with me.
I'm an old Christian conservative married for 35 years. I think I probably shocked her!
Just an example of why we shouldn't judge people. You don't know what's in their heart!!!
I wish that more people were like you! Did she indicate how many sigs have been obtained? The Mormons are the most evil and hypocritical of all religions. They were persecuted and chased out of so many states and then turn right around and militantly persecute gays.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 AM

135 posts, read 191,566 times
Here is the issue I have personally, maybe because I'm looking at it from a different view but for me it's not about the gays and never was. Castro is very good at using certain minority groups to his advantage. This is about prosecuting the 1st admenendant rights of the people. San Antonio is a very tolerant city And the gay community has been openly embraced here. So the need for a NDO to protect them is outlandish the need was never their.

I'm a young susscesfull Christian business owner and will never turn anyone away because of lifestyle etc... However I won't sell my soul for a buck.

Jesus didn't preach from a church made of gold, he was down in the grit shoulder to shoulder with the sinners even though people spat on him, called him names, made fun and doubted just like some of the attitudes on this forum but he still showed the same love and compassion for them as if they weren't. Even when they nailed him to the cross he still ask for their forgiveness for they didn't know.

As a Christian we are to be Christ like and that is what I model my life by. No matter what I will still show you love and compassion. My job is not to convert you it's to be their when you need it.

I will not kneel to no man, ordinance, or law! I will continue to practice my religion and freedom of speech as it is my right!

See you at the polls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio