Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM

161 posts, read 227,037 times

Advertisements

How Much Do Families Need To Get By In San Antonio? | Texas Public Radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:51 PM

702 posts, read 726,457 times
I don't really understand how a 7-income 38k household works.

I'm happy to see I am well above the "living comfortably" income level but I certainly could be more comfortable and checks are tight never-the-less. Plus we don't have kids. Plus we have her income as well, almost doubling it. How someone can support a family of 4 on 30k/yr I have no idea.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
I guess it depends on spending habits. 30k is not much for 4. but If the person has cable, cell and homephone, smokes, drinks, and eats fast food more than 1Xweek, then I don't feel too bad for them. I don't own a cell, don't have cable, don't smoke, and don't eat out too much. I make a more than 30K, but it is 5 of us. we are doing OK. I don't have to get federal help. I don't qualify, but for those that do, then that is OK. I always say that the children of those poorer families should not have to be poor when they get older. their parents must get tired of being sick and tired. and encourage the kids to study, get ahead, and don't get on welfare unless emergency arises.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
I don't really understand how a 7-income 38k household works.

I'm happy to see I am well above the "living comfortably" income level but I certainly could be more comfortable and checks are tight never-the-less. Plus we don't have kids. Plus we have her income as well, almost doubling it. How someone can support a family of 4 on 30k/yr I have no idea.
Seriously. Hubby was unemployed 6 months last year and had to take a 23% pay cut when a job did finally come through...it's been tight every. single. month. We got rid of DirecTV, the gym, and our home phone. We have one paid-for car and one with a note. Nothing frivolous really these days for us but we do live in a decent subdivision. We put 20% down on our house. We take out 5% for our 401K that the company matches. Our cell phones are 2+ years old. We stayed within the 25% rule when it came to our PITI payment. But every month, I'm hoping I can make our bills. Groceries KILL us. We rarely go out to eat so I cook a lot and I make all the lunches in the house, including hubby's. $200/week for groceries. Sometimes more. I'm always looking for the deals and the good coupons on as much healthy stuff as I can get my hands on. Gas is the other killer. It costs us about $150 every two weeks or so for gas, sometimes more, sometimes less. If we're traveling to see the grandparents in Houston, that's $100 right there. And school supplies and clothing for kids has just gone through the roof this year, even scouting out good deals. I am continually stunned at the few days before a pay period is over...how little we have. I'll be going back to work in about a month, so that will help.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times
question is, is that net income?

so if you need $61,344 to be "comfortable" for a family of 4, then you'd need to be making a combined income of $70,000 before taxes.
Just because you make $65,000 doesn't mean you would qualify as "comfortable" since you would only be taking home less than $60,000 once taxes, social security, medical...etc. are taken out.

but to other's points, if you live within your means that it isn't terribly hard to be comfortable.
someone commented on the story's link, stating that $60,000 is rich in this city. by all means, I'm comfortable, but not anywhere near rich.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:36 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
We live at our means with a six figure household and we make less than almost all of our friends do....This article seems strange. Anyone married to a teacher makes 10k more than the city average? Most school districts make the largest employers. Usaa (the largest private employer here) starts you out at 32k and your spouse can't make the household jump past 40k.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM

862 posts, read 865,230 times
1) While USAA is a large company, the number of employees there is quite small compared to total area population;

2) While teachers and professional admin make good salaries, many (if not most) school district jobs pay poorly (janitors, food service, secretaries);

3) Median household income in USA is ~$47,000

4) Look at the map at the bottom of the article, bet you live in the yellow shaded area, most of the city lives in the purple shaded area

5) You really don't know what your friends make, only what they want you to think

Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 PM

318 posts, read 570,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
We live at our means with a six figure household and we make less than almost all of our friends do....This article seems strange. Anyone married to a teacher makes 10k more than the city average? Most school districts make the largest employers. Usaa (the largest private employer here) starts you out at 32k and your spouse can't make the household jump past 40k.
USAA has a large range of starting salaries based on the position and the employee's skills and experience. Saying that everyone starts at $32k is simply not true. There are people with good skill sets and a valuable degree making much more than this in their first year out of undergrad.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,227 times
i have a family of 4 and could not make it on 30k a year

Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
USAA has a large range of starting salaries based on the position and the employee's skills and experience. Saying that everyone starts at $32k is simply not true. There are people with good skill sets and a valuable degree making much more than this in their first year out of undergrad.

I never said everyone starts out at 32K.

The call center reps taking inbound calls transacting on accounts. Of course the financial advisors and the IT guys wouldn't start out at 32K. The licensed insurance agents wouldn't start out at 32K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio