Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 PM

169 posts, read 391,933 times

Advertisements

First off, let me thank everyone for all your guidance over the last six months or so while I've gone from exploring options to actually making the move. The advice and information here has been invaluable.

I have just finished my first week in town and there are several things I have noticed. I'll start by saying I'm convinced more and more each day that I've made the right decision for me and my family (although they won't be joining me until December).

1) The traffic here does back up a bit in spots, but it is still a vast improvement over where I came from (SF Bay Area). That said, I am certainly looking forward to seeing what it's like once they get the 1604 project done between Bandera & 151. Yes, I realize it will be awhile. Still...I'm optimistic. If any of you want to know what true frustration is all about, do a Google search on CA Hwy 4. That's the mess I've dealt with for the last dozen years.

2) Apparently the weather gods knew I was coming and wanted to break me in gently. It's actually not been too bad this week. Although getting in my car at 7am and seeing 80 degrees is going to take some getting used to. Still...I love it!

3) Who the heck is this Billy Bob guy and does anyone actually buy beds from him? Good lord what an obnoxious ad campaign LOL

NOW: I need help with a few things. 1, where is the best place for window tint? I hear the Mother's ads but I have no idea if they do quality work or not. 2, what are your favorite Tex-Mex and BBQ spots? 3, where can I find a GREAT barber (not a stylist, a BARBER) near Alamo Ranch or Westover Hills?

All in all...I LOVE your city and I am truly enjoying the process of making it my own. I can't wait for my wife and daughter to get here so they can explore with me.

Thanks again!

-Bradford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:26 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
I'm so glad you're having s positive experience!

(I can't answer any of your questions - sorry!)

Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 PM

243 posts, read 333,675 times
Welcome to SA. Once you get settled in you can always find other ways to get around the traffic hotspots here.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Billy Bob's sells a metric ton of beds. Bbq...the Big Bib on Austin Highway. Tex Mex try Perico's on Bandera. Barber...look for Danny at Leon Valley Barber Shop straight down Grissom. Welcome to San Antonio (although I'm in Dallas)

Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Billy Bob's is a good place to buy a bed. The ads are obnoxious and the store is junky-looking, but the beds are a good price and there are some better-quality onesd.

Mother's is fine for window tint. I had a bad experience with them installing a car alarm for me, but their tint will generally last the life of the vehicle.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
I enjoy 2 Bros Brothers BBQ and Augies. The Big Bib is great also. For Tex-Mex I like Tito's in Southtown, affordable and close to my house. I've never really had any bad Tex-Mex here in town, but everyone has their own personal preference.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
There is SO much to love and enjoy in this city...certainly glad you got to enjoy/taste sine if it,,,,

Old 08-31-2013, 01:33 PM

318 posts, read 570,423 times
Welcome to San Antonio!

I think the low temps were pretty warm the last few days compared to the couple previous weeks (and hotter during the day), so you should be loving it when we start to see the temperatures go down in a few weeks. October to December offer incredible weather too.

For BBQ, go to Rudy's (in Leon Springs - the original, not chain location), Two Bros BBQ, The Granary (at lunch) or the Smoke Shack food truck at 410 and Nacogdoches.

For Tex-Mex, everyone has different favorites, but mine are La Fogata, La Hacienda de Los Barrios, Rosario's, Acenar, Paloma Blanca and Soluna

Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post

For BBQ, go to Rudy's (in Leon Springs - the original, not chain location)
The original location is HORRIBLE!! They are the only location that freezes their meat. It's terrible when compared to ANY of the other locations.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:05 PM

318 posts, read 570,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The original location is HORRIBLE!! They are the only location that freezes their meat. It's terrible when compared to ANY of the other locations.
I have to disagree - I go to the original location regularly and have gone to several of the chain locations (including out of state) and Leon Springs has been consistently good for brisket and sausage while the others have always left something to be desired. I tend to stay away from their ribs and other meats. And who wants pre packaged sauce and sides like you see at the chain locations? I want it made in front of me, and I want to smell like smoke when I leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio