Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,598,435 times

Advertisements

I eat timbos about twice a month and it is my favorite burger in town. I have convinced two die hard Chris M fans to make the switch. In fact, they meet me there for lunch.

The shypoke eggs are the perfect starter. As mentioned - it is a bit on the pricey side - but very well worth it in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 PM

933 posts, read 1,978,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tops View Post
Timbo's seems ok, but I'd say Sam's right nearby is better. In the old Little Hipps location, Armadillo Burger i think its called, now exists. To even further burgify the lower Broadway area, Chris Madrids might add another location at the Pearl Brewery.
Is that Sam's Burger Joint on Grayson?

A friend of a friend is playing there on December 7th (Brennen Leigh) and we were going out there to see her and lend our support.

Its a nice plus that the food is good.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,223 times
Cheesy Jane's did not impress me at all! And while I like Chris Madrid's - nothing tops Timbo's! Of course if you grew up with Little Hipps then you can appreciate Timbo's because it's like going back into Hipps in a way. I grew up at Hipps! I can remember watching Willard while I sat in the barber chair eating my Shypokes! Timbo's not only has great food but it also has a great atmosphere and great people there. My husband and I had our rehearsal dinner there! Tim and Teresa are friendly and welcoming, and James always puts a smile on my face! And if you want a HUGE burger, it just does not get any bigger than the ones at Timbo's! So I highly suggest going down to Pearl St., snagging the barber chair, ordering up some Shypoke eggs, a cold Gimmedraw in a frosted glass, and sharing the Yellow Submarine with a good friend or someone you love! That is what I plan to do the next time I am home in San Antonio!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,325 times
I still have not made it to Timbo's but will do it soon. I love a good burger. Timbo's will have to be extremely fabulous to exceed my current favorite, The Lords Kitchen. Sam's and Chris Madrid's don't even come close.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Can you believe that I have never ate at Bobby J's?? I have driven past that place hundreds (maybe thousands) of times.
So it sounds like you are saying they are good???

Have you tried Babe's in Helotes? It is in one of those new strip centers by Sonic. It is always packed with cars. I haven't tried it yet.
My wife, child, and I have eaten at Babe's a couple times now. I don't rate it up there with any of the others, but the food is pretty good. We use the cupons out of the Entertainment Book and that makes it super cheap. If it weren't for the cupons here and there I'd deffinately go to Bobby J's as Major said. Bobby J's has an awesome menu, and will pretty much make anything you ask for. Plus it's more of a "mom & pop" feel of a place which is always a plus for me. I still like Bigz over off Blanco Springs alot, but you can read the post on them in here to see what I think about their service. I deffinately like the Longhorn Cafe on Blanco more than the one out at Boerne Stage. Something about their salsa combined with the burger. Another great place for a good burger, and great salsa is Specht's out on Blanco far north of 1604. I love that place.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:10 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
We've eaten at Babe's a few times as we live closeby. My wife doesn't like it too much but I don't think it's that bad. The menu seems really limited but the burgers are pretty good. It's just with Bobby J's right up the road, why eat a good burger when you can get a great one?

Cheers! M2

Old 06-30-2010, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,073 times
TImbo's was voted Best non-chain burger critics choice 2010! need I say more?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,273 times
IMO, Timbo's is just okay. Their veggies are fresh, but they're not using the original grill that Hipps/Armadillos still uses. A good grill, properly seasoned from years of cooking on it, is in a league of it's own. You cannot get that same flavor from something shiny and new.

It's the same reason why the burgers at Luthers now taste like hockey pucks... New grill (I suspect).

I still think that if you're living DT, the best burger you can currently get is at Armadillos.

BN

Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,073 times
Default What?????

Timbo's uses the same grill that L.D. Hipp cooked on while he was still alive and running Little Hipps....The VERY same grill. Get your facts straight before you start commenting on things Moderator cut: see comment. Better yet go to Timbo's and talk to them they are more than happy to fill you in and make you feel at home! What a wonderful place to eat! Fresh everything and great atmosphere!

Last edited by Bo; 07-17-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: No need to be insulting.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,115,695 times
I'm in the minority. Timbo's has a good burger but it's not a perfect tasting one to me. All taste buds are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio