Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,907,651 times

Advertisements

I don't think I'm going to care for them to much. Anyone seen them? They say it's our future. You put your stuff on a long conveyer belt and it goes thru a scanner like the air port uses for purses. It's
actually two lines, one goes to the right the other to the left. When your finished with your order you have to put this little magnetic strip at the end. Then it funnels the next order the other way. My problem is you are way to far away from the screen that shows how much something rang up at to be able to read it. To much room for mistakes for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,742,238 times
I saw it the other day, but most of what I was buying was produce and I had been too lazy to print the tags for it, so I didn't try it.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,564,398 times
Is this a self checkout type system with no checkout personell?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:35 AM

779 posts, read 1,654,304 times
yes it is. they've had it at the McCreless store for a while.
While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, some people (quite a few I imagine), don't like the interaction with others. They just want in/out without the hassle.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 AM

No, there is a cashier at the end but one for both lanes. Guess she has to help you if needed and bag both customers. Just a way to get rid of employees . No time for interaction with the cashiers at at. I hope it doesn't work. Faster is not always better, or more accurate.

Will be harder to use reusable bags to.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 AM

my mistake, yes there are people at the station.

the current (scan your items yourself) checkouts have been proven to be a large area for theft. let's face it, do you really think everyone scans all of their items? not likely in this world. some retailers up north have walked away from self checkout lanes due to losses. this new system seems to be an attempt at a new/improved way of checkout vs the current.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,394,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
my mistake, yes there are people at the station.

the current (scan your items yourself) checkouts have been proven to be a large area for theft. let's face it, do you really think everyone scans all of their items? not likely in this world. some retailers up north have walked away from self checkout lanes due to losses. this new system seems to be an attempt at a new/improved way of checkout vs the current.
Self Check Out? New and improved? Cashiers!

I refuse to self check out.

But then I used to sack groceries for 25 cents an hour while in high school.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 AM

i'm with you, i've spent many years at the checkstand, but sometimes i'm quicker at the self checkout.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,430,590 times
I used to love self checkout at Costco, there was almost never anyone there and I could just zoom through and check out.
Now it always seems to be filled with people who don't understand how it works and it ends up taking much longer than if you just went through a normal line.

I haven't seen the system at HEB, but if you can't see the prices of items as they ring up, that seems like a major failure.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I used to love self checkout at Costco, there was almost never anyone there and I could just zoom through and check out.
Now it always seems to be filled with people who don't understand how it works and it ends up taking much longer than if you just went through a normal line.

I haven't seen the system at HEB, but if you can't see the prices of items as they ring up, that seems like a major failure.
There is a monitor that shows the prices as they ring up but to me, it's way to far away. The interaction with the cashier is more that saying hello, it's a lot easier to catch something that rings incorrectly. Not sure how it would do bakery items like the fresh rolls or pastry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio