Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 09:50 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,039,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
You know Soviet, I don't know if this has been covered with you before, but I am one of a few who would recognize the connection with Soviets and dash cams. There used to be an outfit I presume in Russia who would put out weekly videos taking the highlights of the hazards of driving in Russia. It was called the Serbian Fail Blog.
I used to amuze myself for hours watching these videos every week. I think that I stumbled upon them back when that the dashcam surfaced in the news capturing a meteor crashing in some Russian location. After a while, the videos trickled down to once a month, then I don't recall seeing any new ones at all. Now it looks like they've branched out into other things. In general over there I'd say that it seems like cars are poorly maintained, and little attention is paid to which lane you are in. Or how much vodka one consumes.

I have to say though, I have come away impressed with how often people who were not involved in accidents but were almost involved will stop to assist.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SerbianFailBlog/videos
Well, lucky You, then, that I know what's come to replace it!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CarCrashesTime/videos

I'm very well aware of Russian dashcam videos and I peruse those 10 minutes a week (they update early Sunday mornings, usually) sitting in utmost horror and anticipation and what insanity plays before my eyes.

Enjoy those ten minutes a week, my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:55 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,397,700 times
Soviet,
Well if you don't want to slow down, consider your driving skills infallible, then OK, there is nothing more
that can be explained to you reasonably. People hollering is reason enough to take stock of other motorists
points of view. Maybe even incorporate some of these opinions into your own summations of how people
view your driving habits.
You wanted opinions but I have come to the conclusion that you are headlong on your way toward , and unfortunately uncharted to you , territory.
Perhaps there are some merits(?) to the unbiased, objective, opinions you asked for here on this public forum ? One more try is in order amigo.

Recall your post last year where you had to get an old license plate "Professionally Replaced" with a new tag ? I considered this a very remarkable post at the time because this is such a very, very minor task. I was confounded, profoundly so, at this revelation. So.......I thought to myself, smart, yes but little mechanical aptitude has this poster- Soviet . Please do not misunderstand, many people have the same driving habits as you, so I am not singling you out over this.
You've a beautiful family, seem a fine fellow, decent family man and an interesting person. Fine. I enjoy your uploaded videos and so have a vested interested in your well being as I have knowledge of your place in life now.
However, unrecognition of your travel speeds and habitual offensiveness vs possible collision and impacts are putting you at an uneeded risk. The delicious smoothies would have been fine without the screaming motorcyclist to accompany them. People are getting upset with you for a reason.
Yes you drove at too high a rate of speed behind the Costco. Were it not for the speed bump slowed rate of your vehicle you probably would have run over the cyclist. Your advance behind the store was slowed by the speed bump placed there by Costco, BEHIND THE BUILDING, just to slow down drivers- specifically, like you?

The fact that the cyclist was on the wrong side of the parking lot lane-yes he was -----, back of and behind the building in the commercial storage zone , designed for loading and unloading freight, an area for the employees to work in, truckers to steer in---- not for hurried customer short cuts whom are purchasing smoothies- would not have made this unforseen predicament any better for the cyclist. You may have passed entirely over the top of the motorcyclist with your car. At least he would not have hollered at you then. The inability to speak might have hindered his screaming at you. Behind the store is not for customer parking, you are mistaken Soviet. Note the red curb in the back , painted red to denote caution,no, not a parking spot- there are no parking stripes and it is not a place for customers. It is for tractor trailer rig ingress and egress. For forklifts. A giant truck cannot turn around behind or on the side of Costco. These areas are for the shuffling about of retail merchandise. Access for freight.
Looking for shortcuts? When in street construction zones then, just cut through the road under construction past the barricades and down the gravel. Keep them smoothies cold !
I guess you were depending on the store to place a speed bump there to keep all else safe from you or is this bump yet one more insane delay? Listen to me I have been involved in civil engineering projects all of my life. There is a design to all of this and
smoothie shortcuts was never a consideration.
There is no rationalizing of this.
Perhaps you are right and all foregoing posters owe you an apology because you drive so well ? I doubt this.
Yes , Soviet, speed bumps cause motorcycles to bottom out , scrape bottom or else will want to launch you out of the seat on a smaller bike, like the Evel Knievel- if hit fast !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I had gone into the Smoothie King at 281/1604 to get some delicious smoothies! And the only nearby parking was by the CostCo, on the side. Traffic is nuts out front, so I decided to drive around back to get to 281-S & thereupon I ran into the motorcyclist. On another note, is it difficult for motorcycles to go over speed bumps? Why did he avoid the speed bump? Pure laziness or is it a safety issue?

Tractor trailers aren't an issue around back because they load on the side where the forklift driver was, not in the back. The back is just extra parking (that is VERY rarely used) and emergency exits, but a lot of people use it as a shortcut, including this goofball.

I don't ALWAYS get yelled at, by the way. These 2 separate incidents are the first in a LONG time of driving.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 AM

80 posts, read 101,888 times
Quote:

This happened on Monday afternoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9vygviuy8

I was driving from my parking spot at CostCo around the back and this motorcyclist comes down the WRONG DIRECTION ON A BLIND TURN and tells ME to "Slow down, dude".

Anyways, do y'all believe I was driving "too fast" or was I driving just right? And what do you think about the motorcyclist? Thanks in advance!
So what are you hoping to gain by posting these videos and then commenting on them? You think you are better than them? No one who deserves a ticket or citation, including yourself, is getting one. Whether you think the other motorist did something wrong doesn't change the fact that you're not going to change how they drive or react and with your comments, it appears you don't see the wrong your are doing yourself.

I saw several of your videos and there is a re-occuring theme for you. They are yelling at you for the way you are driving. It may be normal in Russia, but not here.

I've also seen on one of your videos and comments how you are keeping track and following unmarked police cars. Looks like you are trying to keep an eye out so you know when you can break the law. Disturbing.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Buford View Post
So what are you hoping to gain by posting these videos and then commenting on them? You think you are better than them? No one who deserves a ticket or citation, including yourself, is getting one. Whether you think the other motorist did something wrong doesn't change the fact that you're not going to change how they drive or react and with your comments, it appears you don't see the wrong your are doing yourself.

I saw several of your videos and there is a re-occuring theme for you. They are yelling at you for the way you are driving. It may be normal in Russia, but not here.

I've also seen on one of your videos and comments how you are keeping track and following unmarked police cars. Looks like you are trying to keep an eye out so you know when you can break the law. Disturbing.
I post these videos when I see that someone's doing something wrong, in my opinion. I want to see if my opinion is agreed with or disagreed with by the vaunted forum posters of C-D. Do I think I'm better than them? No, I do not: I try to be the best driver I can be and the safest driver I can be for myself and my family.

I drive a lot. A LOT. And yet in all those times of driving, these 2 recent incidents (though close together they are, I'll give you that) are the only incidents of drivers yelling at me. This isn't Russia, no. Yelling and beating cars with bats don't happen as often. But they obviously still DO happen. And I'm going to document it if it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Buford View Post
As long as a law is proper, correct and reasonable, there is no reason for it not to be followed. That being said, yes, I have had situations where I do not properly keep track of time and have to drive fast to be able to make it on time or to minimize my unpunctuality. I try my best to avoid that. But I don't think that drivers should be harassed and pulled over and have their time wasted the one or 2 times they have to do that, especially not by stealth cars. I record the details of stealth cars and share them online so that drivers may be aware of what is likely to happen and to avoid having their time wasted and their money stolen by the government. I always post police speed trap locations (whether the speed limit is appropriate or not) because no one should have their time wasted like that or have their money stolen. If motorists know that SAPD uses Stealth Chargers & Mustangs and remember the license plates, they can be more aware on the road when they see such cars around & increase safety as a result.

Yes, you're right: it would be better to just follow the law! (Especially if the law is appropriate for the design and condition of the road) But sometimes people just have to drive a little faster to be able to make it. I fully empathize with that.

I also empathize with those who are injured or killed in auto accidents, but high speed limits do not inherently result in more crashes. The only thing they do is increase the severity of a crash when it does happen. So what safety advocates should focus on is eliminating crashes.

"The key to road safety is uniform traffic flow: Accidents occur when cars move at divergent rates." - Slate.com article

Cars are more likely to crash when there are speed variances. The key to eliminate speed variances is to have appropriate speed limits EVERYWHERE!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,856,248 times
As has been pointed out to you many times before Soviet, there's a procedure to resolve inaccurate speed limits - it's not up to you to decide what to follow. It always amuses me to see you as you decide what's appropriate.
Oh - and something that hasn't been discussed yet....going through a private lot/business to avoid main public traffic lanes is actually illegal. Those parking lots/drive areas are for the use of their customers, NOT personal short-cuts. If an officer observes you doing so, you CAN be stopped and cited. I'm sure this will somehow offend you and cause yet another diatribe, but it is what it is.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:32 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,509,241 times
In one of your videos, you are blowing down loop 410 at 85 mph until you come upon a police car pulling someone over in front of you. You were lucky it wasn't you.
After you pass them, you speed up again exceeding the speed limit by 15-20 mph.
What are you trying to prove? Why can't you obey the speed limits like you are supposed to?
Your so-called superior driving skills don't impress anyone. Do you get off on driving like a teen?
We have speed limits for a reason....if you don't like it, there are ways to change the law. That's the way we roll in this country.
Stop being a jerk behind the wheel...you may live longer.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 PM

122 posts, read 373,129 times
Witnessed a black Mercedes Sprinter WEDRIVETEXAS.COM. speeding down 281(80+in traffic), weaving thru traffic and tailgating. Was that Soviet driving? I will never use their services.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:14 PM

894 posts, read 1,550,097 times
Quote:
I love being able to take criticism from y'all C-Ders: it makes everything much better! Better to take opinions in stride and read them respectfully than to be hurt for any reason. And thank YOU for not shying away from your opinions! Much appreciated!

This happened on Monday afternoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9vygviuy8

I was driving from my parking spot at CostCo around the back and this motorcyclist comes down the WRONG DIRECTION ON A BLIND TURN and tells ME to "Slow down, dude". After I had stopped. Now, I'm no Internet IQ-test genius, but I don't think you can slow down anymore than stopping completely at a motorcyclist going the wrong direction on a blind turn! What do y'all think about what transpired here. Caught me by surprise, that's for sure. I didn't even have time to yell back at him! "You nincompoop! You're driving the wrong way on a blind turn, goofball!" =D

Anyways, do y'all believe I was driving "too fast" or was I driving just right? And what do you think about the motorcyclist? Thanks in advance!
He was definitely on the wrong side and your speed was fine. He also appeared to have no helmet, so good for him that he was invincible on his murdercycle.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Witnessed a black Mercedes Sprinter WEDRIVETEXAS.COM. speeding down 281(80+in traffic), weaving thru traffic and tailgating. Was that Soviet driving? I will never use their services.
Should've caught them on a dashcam!!! San Antonio needs more dashcams!

And I believe you can always send off a complaint to their website, especially if you got their plate number.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 PM

514 posts, read 1,442,818 times
I've only been here since Nov 2015 and I'll say San Antonio drivers drive aggressively and it just doesn't make sense IMHO to drive so aggressive. Running red lights is nuts, but I see 3-4 every day do it. Folks Rev their engine to speed around you to just sit in front of you. Saved 10 secs woohoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio