Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:34 PM

37 posts, read 93,932 times

Advertisements

I just got out to San Antonio from California, and I have a question: The plates on my car are expiring in about a month, and by law, I have to register the car in Texas. Can you register a car in Texas before you get your Texas drivers license? The reason I want to to this is because I am in temporary quarters (a corporate apartment) for the next 30 days. I don't know where I will be living after that.
Thanks,
Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 PM

520 posts, read 781,826 times
Actually, that's what they want you to do.

Went through it at the beginning of the year. But here's the link - TxDMV - New to Texas

Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,117 times
You have to do it before the license. Heads up, registering the car isn't a one stop thing like it is in CA where you can just do it at the DMV in 30 minutes and be done. There's like a county tax office or some extra step that you have to go pay state tax on the vehicle thrown in there. Luckily I'm only here for school, so I didn't have to register or get a TX license but I looked into it before. Welcome to SA!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
You have to do it before the license. Heads up, registering the car isn't a one stop thing like it is in CA where you can just do it at the DMV in 30 minutes and be done. There's like a county tax office or some extra step that you have to go pay state tax on the vehicle thrown in there. Luckily I'm only here for school, so I didn't have to register or get a TX license but I looked into it before. Welcome to SA!
Don't forget, you have to get your "safety" inspection before you can get your tag

Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 5,608 times
We just did this 6 months ago.

There are two inspection and title places that you can get you inspection and registration at the same. It is not necessary to transfer the title which will save you the tax especially if you not permanent.

We are from Canada and have Texas registration, Texas tags, but a Canadian title. Total cost was about 300 for everything done in about 20-30 mins.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 AM

275 posts, read 185,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_w View Post
We just did this 6 months ago.

There are two inspection and title places that you can get you inspection and registration at the same. It is not necessary to transfer the title which will save you the tax especially if you not permanent.

We are from Canada and have Texas registration, Texas tags, but a Canadian title. Total cost was about 300 for everything done in about 20-30 mins.
Does anyone know where are those two places for inspection and title in the same place?

I'm getting crazy trying to find them over the internet.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:18 AM

520 posts, read 781,826 times
I used DueNow (Official Inspection Station - Locations) for registering my truck, and have used them for subsequent inspections. I think there was a $40-$50 service fee on top of the taxes, title, plates fees. Having just registered a popup at the Tax Assessor's office on Bandera I can't say the service fee is really worth it - went on a weekday around 1pm and while there was a short wait I would have been in and out in under an hour if I didn't go back through to swap out for Veteran's plates on the truck. The key is to do your homework - call the assessor's office and find out exactly what forms and paperwork you will need beforehand.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:36 PM

So at the end, I just went to a express lube for the inspection, went to Bandera tax assessor and to the Leon Valley safety department location. Not too bad, it took me longer to drive from location to location.

CyVaquero, yes, I read online all the paperwork I needed beforehand....you don't go to the DMV without the exact documents they request!

Old 10-22-2015, 03:20 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,054 times
So, sounds like a big hassle

Old 10-22-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
So, sounds like a big hassle
Yes it was, especially because I also needed my OT signature to transfer the title to Texas, so that will be another trip probably next week...oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: