Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:01 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnut View Post
Homesnap (formerly Sawbuck) does, in fact, have some actual sales prices. So thank you all for the leads.

I do appreciate the privacy afforded by law. But, last I checked, Texas is one of only five states in the U.S. that does not make sales prices public.
And Texas is only one of a few states that is still awesome! Love our privacy, guns and oil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnut View Post
I do appreciate the privacy afforded by law. But, last I checked, Texas is one of only five states in the U.S. that does not make sales prices public.
With all due respect, what I (or anyone else) paid for our homes are NONE of your business. You want to buy it, do your due diligence and make your offer. I'll either accept or reject it. But to expect a homeowner to disclose personal, private information just for your edification is the height of presumption, IMO.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 PM

262 posts, read 433,455 times
And I assume you'd say that your neighbor's assessed value for taxes is none of your business as well.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
And I assume you'd say that your neighbor's assessed value for taxes is none of your business as well.
I will answer that.

Yes, what my neighbors's assessed value is none of my business and my value is none of his.

What someone argues and gets for his taxable appraised base is no one else's business. Because someone is too lazy or does not want to be bothered with arguing to pay less taxes is not my concern.

I have no reason to pay any more in local, county or federal taxes than can be squeezed out of me.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
Their ASSESSED value is part of the basis for mine - so, yes - it's part of a governmental record and therefore public information. What I actually PAID for mine.....NOYB.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM

863 posts, read 866,446 times
If you bought a property that was listed on the MLS, then anyone that wants to know can find out. Even the County has access (pretty sure they announced that a few years back). I believe realtors can agree to not post the final transaction price if you request it but for whatever reason they feel compelled to report it. Non-disclosure is only really private if you bought/sold through a private transaction, i.e. word of mouth sale and not listed on MLS.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM

161 posts, read 227,113 times
It's kind of funny to me that some view this as all "hush-hush" or a big secret. My neighbors all talk openly about what each paid- everyone purchased within the same yr. It doesn't seem to be a big mystery. Everyone talks about how housing is a gamble and it's all timing; sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I think a lot of us learned from this latest bubble burst.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 AM

It's not that it has to be a big secret, as most people are pretty open to it. It's just that it's not anyone's RIGHT to know what I or anyone else paid. If I want it kept private, I should be awarded that right.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:36 AM

161 posts, read 227,113 times
I agree and never said it wasn't about "rights". I just find it amusing that many Texans seem to get so offensive and jump to the "it's my right!" conclusion; my goodness... I wasn't saying anything about taking your guns, oil, OR privacy.
I see you on here bragging about how much you make in sales and to me, THAT should be private.
I just find it amusing because we all benefit from knowing what houses are selling for in our own neighborhoods. It helps you to list properly and get a feel for the market.

Last edited by lollygagger428; 09-28-2013 at 04:45 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
I agree and never said it wasn't about "rights". I just find it amusing that many Texans seem to get so offensive and jump to the "it's my right!" conclusion; my goodness... I wasn't saying anything about taking your guns, oil, OR privacy.
I see you on here bragging about how much you make in sales and to me, THAT should be private.
I just find it amusing because we all benefit from knowing what houses are selling for in our own neighborhoods. It helps you to list properly and get a feel for the market.
I merely pointed out the sales the one time to show that the market was drastically up, and used figures to back it up. If you want to take that as bragging, it's your prerogative. How much I sell is public knowledge, as it's published in the business journal. Personally, I wish it wasn't, but I can't really control that. My income is very private and you won't find that anywhere, nor should you.

Most of those other comments were light-hearted fun, and extolling the good things about being in Texas. If you want to be offended by them, whatever. No skin off of anyone's nose here.

The info you're searching for is easily obtained if you want to consult someone who has that service. However, privacy is very important to folks, and we don't want it just plastered out there. Having my neighbors and friends knowing what I paid for items doesn't do anything to benefit anyone. If you're listing your house, your Realtor has access to that, as do all the others, so we can help you learn values. Otherwise, why don't we just all put the price over our front doors? Just so our nosy neighbors can have something to talk about.

This went from you asking a question, and getting it answered, to a complaining session. Not seeing much more point in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio