Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:13 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
"It will expand."

This isn't comforting to those of us who think it's already too expensive and useless. You should probably pick another way to defend the concept.

Putting aside the cost estimate overruns at this point, nobody's even talking about the costs to operate the system, which are in the millions a year. Once it gets up and running and most of us who live here eventually find it doesn't meet our needs, we'll be able to take solace in the fact that it's going to get bigger, become more expensive to operate and, if we're lucky, be less useless.
But Bo, the younger crowd wants it so we'll just have to figure out a way to pay for it. We can't just continue to be a backward hick town refusing to accept change. We need a damn choo-choo train!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 PM

243 posts, read 333,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
But Bo, the younger crowd wants it so we'll just have to figure out a way to pay for it. We can't just continue to be a backward hick town refusing to accept change. We need a damn choo-choo train!!!
Just like when the children wanted that special toy for Christmas because that's what everyone else was getting. Some of the arguments for this remind me of that.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:33 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Yes we do, so yes you will. It's a moot point, it's going to be built. I suggest you move to Arlington, Texas. They have completely rejected public transportation. Of course they build silly sports stadiums instead, but I bet that ok in your book.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Y They have completely rejected public transportation.
I'm pretty sure SA did too but they are going ahead with it anyway.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Yes we do, so yes you will. It's a moot point, it's going to be built. I suggest you move to Arlington, Texas. They have completely rejected public transportation. Of course they build silly sports stadiums instead, but I bet that ok in your book.
So then another so called needed white elephant project by a former democratic mayor namely the Alamodome was built because we didn't have one and we were a laughing stock was silly then and should not have been built. Is that what you are saying?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
So then another so called needed white elephant project by a former democratic mayor namely the Alamodome was built because we didn't have one and we were a laughing stock was silly then and should not have been built. Is that what you are saying?
Perhaps you haven't caught on yet. They build it first and then worry about whether it was the right thing to do later.

All aboard the VIA Choo-Choo Train! We're going in circles at the rate of $35M per mile.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you haven't caught on yet. They build it first and then worry about whether it was the right thing to do later.

All aboard the VIA Choo-Choo Train! We're going in circles at the rate of $35M per mile.

LOL! Yea I caught on many years ago, but unfortunately some our younger educated folks have not. Which was my point.

Last edited by geargrinder70; 09-27-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Nope, the alamodome funding was straightforward and payed for by a 1/2cent sales tax and a via fare increase. After it was payed off fares were reduced and the sales tax was reversed. You can read more here http://therivardreport.com/the-alamo...r-better-city/

Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Nope, the alamodome funding was straightforward and payed for by a 1/2cent sales tax and a via fare increase. After it was payed off fares were reduced and the sales tax was reversed. You can read more here The Alamodome, Now 20, Made San Antonio a Bigger, Better City | The Rivard Report
You are correct. Also if you will think back when the tax was ending by mandate some on the council wanted to keep that tax enforced to pay for other pet projects and if my memory serves me correctly that idea was then put up for a vote to the voters which it was soundly defeated because the city did not want to honor the agreement it already had with us to end it and the voters were tired of being used in this way. My point being once they get a new tax they never want to let go of it. You are also correct in that it is going to be built regardless of anyone's opposition which is what our political system has come to. Governing by the people has become governing in spite of the people. I hope you enjoy the new 300 million dollar Brackenridge Eagle for young professionals.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Nope, the alamodome funding was straightforward and payed for by a 1/2cent sales tax and a via fare increase. After it was payed off fares were reduced and the sales tax was reversed. You can read more here The Alamodome, Now 20, Made San Antonio a Bigger, Better City | The Rivard Report
Once the tax that built the AT&T Center expired, the county was quick to get a new tax to replace it on the ballot. That tax is building the new performing arts center downtown and improving sports venues around the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio