Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Sometimes a city has to be pulled kicking and screaming into the present. Via has alreaded funded 200 million for this project. It's embarrassing that we don't have any sort of rail, especially since every other major city does. We should have started light rail 13 years ago, we would have seen TOD explode just like they did in Dallas.
Does anyone here actually know how VIA is funded? Sales tax, a 3/4 cent sales tax, plus fares that's it's. Don't want to fund the street car? Don't buy things in the cities that are VIA member cities. Want to still shop in those cities, ask them to pull out of VIA service. Like it or not it's a done deal. Posting pictures of wheeled faux trollies is disingenuous at best and a lie at worst. This is what modern street car looks like

You have got to be kidding me.

Dallas is using light rail as commuter rail and while it works for Dallas it still can't pay for it's self. Houston has light rail inside 610 but Houston inside 610 is WAY denser than San Antonio. Austin doesn't even have rail it has the most DT residents of ANY Texas city...

This is a tourist route and if you are not familiar Tampa has one and it has fail and it hasn't created major investment along the rail lines. Where will this investment be? The single largest issues with DT San Antonio is property values. Residential can't compete with hotels so DT residential towers have to be located in a very small area of DT. If the really want people to use this thing then they would actually need a lot more JOBS and people DT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 07:29 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You have got to be kidding me.

Dallas is using light rail as commuter rail and while it works for Dallas it still can't pay for it's self. Houston has light rail inside 610 but Houston inside 610 is WAY denser than San Antonio. Austin doesn't even have rail it has the most DT residents of ANY Texas city...

This is a tourist route and if you are not familiar Tampa has one and it has fail and it hasn't created major investment along the rail lines. Where will this investment be? The single largest issues with DT San Antonio is property values. Residential can't compete with hotels so DT residential towers have to be located in a very small area of DT. If the really want people to use this thing then they would actually need a lot more JOBS and people DT.
Complete fallacy land. Can you name any transit agency in the country that is self supporting? If that's the standard you want from VIA you will never get it. The Dallas system is one of the most successful transit systems in the sunbelt. The Houston system is still under construction and will serve areas outside 610 by the end of 2015. Austin' capital metrorail is in service already. Do I need to go on? Keep burying your head in the sand and let this city become more of a laughing stock than it already is.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:57 AM

243 posts, read 333,776 times
Quote:
Complete fallacy land. Can you name any transit agency in the country that is self supporting? If that's the standard you want from VIA you will never get it. The Dallas system is one of the most successful transit systems in the sunbelt. The Houston system is still under construction and will serve areas outside 610 by the end of 2015. Austin' capital metrorail is in service already. Do I need to go on? Keep burying your head in the sand and let this city become more of a laughing stock than it already is.
People laugh at those who live in New York city, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles and many others because they themselves cannot imagine living in such an over populated and over built place. The fact that you would be concerned that someone would laugh at you because you live in such a backwards little city such as San Antonio can only lead me to the possible conclusion that either you have don't have enough to do in your life or you just might have a inferiority complex that you might want to address. Either way maybe you should just move to one of the other cities that are more to your liking. Not everyone can be happy living here. I have been living here in this backwards little city for over 50 years now and still enjoy all it has to offer and I have visited other cities all over the country and overseas, but I am always so glad to come back to my little laughing stock of a city because to me it is the best place in the world to live and I am proud to call it home. Please don't take what I have said here as a personal attack of any kind because it was not meant to be so. It is nothing more than a observation from a proud citizen of San Antonio.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
People laugh at those who live in New York city, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles and many others because they themselves cannot imagine living in such an over populated and over built place. The fact that you would be concerned that someone would laugh at you because you live in such a backwards little city such as San Antonio can only lead me to the possible conclusion that either you have don't have enough to do in your life or you just might have a inferiority complex that you might want to address. Either way maybe you should just move to one of the other cities that are more to your liking. Not everyone can be happy living here. I have been living here in this backwards little city for over 50 years now and still enjoy all it has to offer and I have visited other cities all over the country and overseas, but I am always so glad to come back to my little laughing stock of a city because to me it is the best place in the world to live and I am proud to call it home. Please don't take what I have said here as a personal attack of any kind because it was not meant to be so. It is nothing more than a observation from a proud citizen of San Antonio.
This is what I mean by burying your head in the sand. I'm a native San Antonian myself, which is why I want more for my city. We should be embarrassed that we lost AT&T, we should be embarrassed that rackspace has commuters that drive in from Austin everyday because of the lack of amenities the city offers, we should be embarrassed that Austin is getting direct flights to Europe, we should be embarrassed that we only have one pro sports team, and we should be embarrassed that out symphony is constantly out of money, and we should be embarrassed that we don't have better transit options. I love this city and I'm proud of the people under thirty that are sticking around and trying to improve it.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:47 AM

243 posts, read 333,776 times
Quote:
This is what I mean by burying your head in the sand. I'm a native San Antonian myself, which is why I want more for my city. We should be embarrassed that we lost AT&T, we should be embarrassed that rackspace has commuters that drive in from Austin everyday because of the lack of amenities the city offers, we should be embarrassed that Austin is getting direct flights to Europe, we should be embarrassed that we only have one pro sports team, and we should be embarrassed that out symphony is constantly out of money, and we should be embarrassed that we don't have better transit options. I love this city and I'm proud of the people under thirty that are sticking around and trying to improve it.
Burying my head in the sand? I think not. The things you are talking about like the direct flights to Europe requires an airline to see the ability to make a profit off of that flight. For us to have another pro sports team someone would have to see the financial viability of such before it would ever be considered. As far as our symphony is concerned they need to be able to fill the seats with paying customers to be able to make a profit or do you believe the taxpayers should fund them to play to half empty venues? The people under thirty in general have always had the mentality of I want what I want and I want it now with no regards as to how it will be paid for. You seem to like the idea of playing fast and loose with other peoples money. If what you want is so important to you then please by all means invest your money in them who knows you may find others who wish to invest also, but you have no right to demand that others do the same in the form of higher taxes to fund your visions of progress.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Why? AT&T lefy because the CEO lived in Dallas. AT&T only came to San Antonio form St. Louis because the CEO lived here at the time.

What does Austin offer that San Antonio does not?

They have one route so calm down. It makes sense to put the flight in Austin instead of San aNtonio. Austin is the capitol and Austin has a larger tech sector and its close to San Antonio.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

What does Austin offer that San Antonio does not?
Direct flights to Europe or the Spurs? I'll take the Spurs.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:26 AM

135 posts, read 191,597 times
Lol this guy acts like he goes to Europe every week lol. SAN ANTONIO doesn't warrant it. Via can take its 200 mil and shove it!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
All so that the big moron downtown can look good for his presidential run. Welcome to the Democratic party.
The streetcar is Nelson Wolff's brainchild. He's wanted rail for years and he figured out a way to sneak the funding in through a back door.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 AM

135 posts, read 191,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The streetcar is Nelson Wolff's brainchild. He's wanted rail for years and he figured out a way to sneak the funding in through a back door.
And the mayor is right their to make sure it gets it's rightful place....enough blame to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio