Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 13,937 times

Advertisements

I live by Windcrest and that Randolph park and ride is a HUGE jaywalking mess.......and there are crosswalks/sidewalks right next to it. I don't know how many times I've turned off Crestway onto Randolph going towards the 410/35 entrance ramps and almost hit people crossing from the Valero to the bus stop because you can't see them immediately when you turn......and the freakin' cross walk is not even 50 feet away!! I've seen people crossing over from the highway area as well. I swear, some people must have a death wish. And don't get me started on the people with kids and strollers doing it.......idiots!! And then really don't let me get started on Walzem......more idiots!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 13,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
this is true downtown, but in the Med Center, crosswalks are few and far between. It can be 0.5 miles or more between crosswalks, which makes a huge difference on a hot day.... I used to walk in that area a lot, and was a stickler for always utilizing cross walks, but the lack of crosswalks in the area is an enormous problem.

Oh, and since Texas, in its wisdom, does not have a law requiring motorists to stop when a person is in a crosswalk (unless there is a sign posted), I'm not sure how much it'd matter.

1. More crosswalks (like right where bus stops are)
2. Law change and motorist education to require stopping when a pedestrian is in the crosswalk.

The reality is that most of the city was to built with pedestrians in mind. Downtown, it IS because people don't want to walk a few feet.
I thought Texas had the "Pedestrian has the right of way" law. Go over to Louisiana where the car has the right of way and attempt what some of these people in SA do and you'll for sure be killed - they don't stop over there.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Yet another story of jaywalking..with children.

Kids say goodbye to mom who saved them - San Antonio Express-News

I can't link to the full article because it's for "digital subscribers" at the moment but it says that Mom crossed within three blocks of a crosswalk, one at Benrus and another at Alicia. She crossed 5 lanes of traffic.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 PM

702 posts, read 726,410 times
When I was visiting in San Francisco I was astounded by the amount of people randomly stepping across in front of cars. It was a pretty harrowing experience. Later that night on the news I believe there were three stories of pedestrians getting ran over and killed. One by a bus.

Drive down Huebner between I10 and Vance Jackson. There are tons of people walking across near the gas station and the apartment complex that is opposite the car wash. Just a bunch of people walking down the turn lane in the middle of the street. Just a matter of time.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,665 times
My hometown needs to work on becoming more pedestrian-friendly

Old 10-25-2013, 02:16 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
My hometown needs to work on becoming more pedestrian-friendly
Maybe your home town needs smarter pedestrians?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,770,225 times
At least the "stupid" mom saved her kids despite the fact she made a poor decision to begin with.

I am sure her kids are so happy she was one of the "weeding out the stupid".

The only good thing to come out of this is she is donating her organs for others.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Maybe your home town needs smarter pedestrians?
True.. but many people take risks crossing the street because there aren't enough safe crosswalks. Having to walk half a mile down the road to the nearest crosswalk is not pedestrian-friendly

Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,770,225 times
I know you are all tough and no nonsense.

Just saying it wouldn't hurt to show some respect. What if her organ donation saves a cop's life, your wife or kid, or even your own if you needed one? Would you still call her stupid if that was the case?

Yeah, what she did was breaking the law. Not arguing with that. I just felt you were being a bit too harsh.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Speaking of organ donation in the incident I recently posted: Mother saves her children, then saves neighbor who needed kidney transplant - San Antonio Express-News

but in addition....Pedestrian killed on South Side - San Antonio Express-News Looking at Google maps it does not look like there is a crosswalk close by. But of course the maps are dated 2011. So.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio