Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:44 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
You still haven't answered my question though but that is ok. I have said what I felt I needed to.
What, the fact that she was an organ donor? Does that somehow add "benefit" to how she died? I don't see how. As an organ donor myself, I applaud her for making the correct decision by becoming one; but it doesn't offset or even add anything to her death. That was tragic and unnecessary, and the result of a bad decision.

The two are apples and oranges, and one doesn't justify the other...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
What, the fact that she was an organ donor? Does that somehow add "benefit" to how she died? I don't see how. As an organ donor myself, I applaud her for making the correct decision by becoming one; but it doesn't offset or even add anything to her death. That was tragic and unnecessary, and the result of a bad decision.

The two are apples and oranges, and one doesn't justify the other...
I asked if you would call someone who gave you (or someone you love or respect) an organ "a stupid person" if they died making a poor decision. It really is a 'yes' or 'no' question.

You have a right to your opinion, expect my own as well. I am not the only one that saw your response to her being stupid as dogmatic behavior either.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Honestly, any death that could have be easily avoided is "stupid" regardless of whether the individual is an organ donor or not...

And glorifying someone's actions as being heroic when she was the one responsible for them being in danger in the first place is not something I agree with either; but whatever floats your boat.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
Yet another one...
Quote:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ay-4974067.php

SAN ANTONIO — A man was killed when walking across a roadway early Monday.
Police said the man was crossing in the westbound lanes of U.S. 87 when the driver of a pickup struck him.
In other news, I decided to count the number of jaywalkers on San Pedro between about Jackson Keller and 35 near downtown on my way to work last week and counted more than 12....and then later that week saw like 7 cross in the middle near North Star Thursday evening....it just drives me crazy!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,620,589 times
I remember back in the 60's when we lived in Phoenix and my mother got a Jaywalking ticket, cost her $5.00 at the time. Ever since then I always cross at crosswalks although I do it rarely, as I don't walk anywhere, except when I go downtown.
I suppose the police have more important issues than handing out jaywalking tickets if there is such a thing now.
Here it irks me when I see disabled folks out in the middle of the street in the turn lane waiting to get across to the other side, very dangerous.

And folks crossing the freeway, I thought pedestrians weren't allowed on the freeways!

This city is not pedestrian friendly. Back in the 90's my car was stolen and I got a taste of what it's like trying to get around on foot...it was like putting my life at risk every time I ventured out. I truly feel for the folks who have no other choice.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 AM

It's not a matter of being "pedestrian friendly," it's a matter of not being stupid!

Driving down Military Drive by Lackland every morning, I am appalled at the number of people dressed in dark clothing that stroll across the road without any concern for the vehicles traveling at 45-50 MPH down that road. They seem to think that drivers will magically see them in areas not it by street lights and don't seem to have any care for their own safety.

I am actually surprised that there's not a weekly fatality from such idiotic antics, here is a seven-lane road with fast moving traffic and these morons just casually ditty-bop their way across anywhere they feel like it.

And even at the crosswalks, I regularly see people not waiting for the opportunity to walk and simply go across despite the signs telling them not to.

It all goes back to that old adage of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes!"

Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It's not a matter of being "pedestrian friendly," it's a matter of not being stupid!

Driving down Military Drive by Lackland every morning, I am appalled at the number of people dressed in dark clothing that stroll across the road without any concern for the vehicles traveling at 45-50 MPH down that road. They seem to think that drivers will magically see them in areas not it by street lights and don't seem to have any care for their own safety.

I am actually surprised that there's not a weekly fatality from such idiotic antics, here is a seven-lane road with fast moving traffic and these morons just casually ditty-bop their way across anywhere they feel like it.

And even at the crosswalks, I regularly see people not waiting for the opportunity to walk and simply go across despite the signs telling them not to.

It all goes back to that old adage of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes!"
I have never heard that but I like it!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
I'm not sure we can lay the blame entirely at the feet of the city OR the pedestrians. There are issues on both sides - a severe lack of safe pedestrian crossings and a severe lack of common sense on the part of some pedestrians.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 10,034 times
you can really hear the road rage coming through in these posts. Being in a vehicle often makes us quick to anger and jump to conclusions.

It is easy to say "just walk that extra 50 feet/.25 mile/.5 mile to the crosswalk" from within the air-conditioned confines of car, but 50 feet seems a lot longer when you're on foot in san antonio summer heat. Consider also the fact that a person's destination rarely lies at the end of the crosswalk - pedestrians often have to walk 50 or more feet to a crosswalk, cross the street, then walk another 50 feet back the way they came just to get where they needed to go (this is if there is a nearby crosswalk to begin with). When on foot, it often makes more sense to just cross the street where you are.

I lived here without a car from 2006-2010 and it was not fun. even when using crosswalks i was often nearly run over while the walk light was green by people turning left or just running the red light. I can say from personal experience that in this city is is just as dangerous to use a crosswalk as it is to try and cross in the middle.

I now drive a car and consider it my responsibility to be aware of what is happening in front of and around me, including jaywalking pedestrians. I really can't hold jaywalking against the pedestrians here when the most populous areas of the city so violently disinclude any non-motorist.

I've seen some pedestrians who seem to slow down when crossing the road, as if daring motorists to hit them. motorists here seem to take their frustration with these people and apply it to everyone who is not in a car.

The rants and opinions expressed here further prove that SA is completely dysfunctional when it comes to pedestrians. The infrastructure is bad or nonexistent, and the attitudes of the drivers and non-drivers are often vindictive.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 PM

The law is clear, and anyone who breaks it is putting their lives and the lives of others at risk. I honestly doubt that "extra 50 feet/.25 mile/.5 mile to the crosswalk" is more likely to kill someone more than their playing ******* on a busy San Antonio road; but we live in a city that seems to condone drinking and driving, letting kids ride around with no seatbelts in cars, and outright reckless driving by many so why not add idiotic jackwalking to the script of Death Race 2013 as well?!?

EDIT: For some reason the forum isn't allowing me to put the name of this popular 80s game in my post...

Last edited by majormadmax; 11-11-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio