Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM

135 posts, read 191,557 times

Advertisements

I too wonder about this. I renew every year at the tax assessor office and this last time she didn't ask for anything no id or ins, took me by surprise cause they would make a big stink about it before. I think now they are just happy to collect the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 02:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
She was wrong or just didn't want to bother. They are required to see your I.D. and proof insurance.
That may not be correct. I did the same at HEB and was told I had to go to Tax Assesor/collector because I needed new plates. I placed my renewal notification and POI on the counter, the woman entered the info on the renewal slip and never glanced at my POI. It is in the system.

If you get pulled over for a traffic violation...no phony insurance card is going to work...It is in the system whether you are current with insurance or not.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:50 PM

349 posts, read 422,133 times
You dont even need paper insurance cards anymore. I think its smart really in this digital age. It makes it much, much easier for the law enforcement to not only determine who has insurance but all they have to do is run your plates and see if you dont have insurance, in small towns like AH, better believe thats getting you pulled over et al (which it should).

Its also much easier to run the system to determine if you have proof than to show some piece of paper which is easily forged and altered.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:41 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
This summer when I went to a county facility (not Bexar) to get registration taken care of, they didn't ask for my insurance either. So maybe this is a trend. But also this summer, for an inspection, the place did ask.

Last edited by Lee W.; 09-28-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
^^^ I guess, some have access to the database and some not. Yet.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
I too wonder about this. I renew every year at the tax assessor office and this last time she didn't ask for anything no id or ins, took me by surprise cause they would make a big stink about it before. I think now they are just happy to collect the money.
I wasn't clear in my first post but this is what happened to me at the Tax Office as well. They said they have the capability to look up the VIN and see if there was insurance on it. While there I told her I had another car I'm thinking about pulling out of hibernation and asked if she would register it as well. I didn't bring any information on the second car but she was able to simply locate the car using my name and was then able to see I had a current policy on it and issued me a sticker and new plates since the old ones expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I guess, some have access to the database and some not. Yet.
Having registered another car a few weeks ago at HEB, they did in fact ask for the insurance card so I guess you're right. Some folks have access to the insurance database and some don't.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
They go as far as sending me a letter for a car that I no longer own and ask why I do not have insurance on it.. the age of computers are upon us...

Old 09-29-2013, 11:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
I wouldn't get worked up over an administrative oversight (the girl forgetting to ask for proof of insurance), the bigger issue is those driving without insurance. The penalties need to be more severe. Impounding a person's vehicle is not the solution when towing companies can remove it immediately afterward (which is why they always sit just outside the Growden facility). There needs to be a 30-day jail sentence for anyone involved in a MVA that doesn't have the minimum insurance required by law.

The bottom line is it's not HEB's responsibility to ensure people have insurance, it's the individual driver.

Cheers! M2

Old 09-29-2013, 11:58 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I wouldn't get worked up over an administrative oversight (the girl forgetting to ask for proof of insurance), the bigger issue is those driving without insurance. The penalties need to be more severe. Impounding a person's vehicle is not the solution when towing companies can remove it immediately afterward (which is why they always sit just outside the Growden facility). There needs to be a 30-day jail sentence for anyone involved in a MVA that doesn't have the minimum insurance required by law.

The bottom line is it's not HEB's responsibility to ensure people have insurance, it's the individual driver.

Cheers! M2
Kudos! I couldn't agree more!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:12 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If you get pulled over for a traffic violation...no phony insurance card is going to work...It is in the system whether you are current with insurance or not.
And so it should be. I hate it that some people will drive w/o at least the min. of ins. I had the side of my truck bashed in by a person who had a phoney card he showed us and after we had written down his info, he took off before the law got to the scene. Come to find out, he was wanted on several warrants and in the end, nothing was done to him. Got by with it scot free. The damage to my truck was covered on my end. Oh yeah, let those A-holes walk if they want to go somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio