Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 PM

175 posts, read 405,919 times

Advertisements

Not a da#@ thing that I like about SA!
Wish I didn't have to be here right now!
I also grew up in the Midwest-Ann Arbor area. I agree with you about rude shoppers, drivers, lack of community.
I am afraid other cities might be following thesame route in todays world .
Imagine....schools here don't even teach cursive writing! ! They still do in AA!
What I truly believe is the problem in SA is something I can't say online.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 AM

501 posts, read 948,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
Imagine....schools here don't even teach cursive writing! ! They still do in AA!
Good. Should they also teach how to record on a VCR? lol

Better, more relevant/topical things should be taught. Cursive, in modern times, is a very antiquated form of writing and isn't needed in today's world.

Teaching kids how to write code is a much better use of their time.

P.S.

What's AA?

Quote:
What I truly believe is the problem in SA is something I can't say online.....
Oh boy...

Maybe just stay off the internet and keep all those thoughts in your head. Do us all a favor.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,767,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Good. Should they also teach how to record on a VCR? lol

Better, more relevant/topical things should be taught. Cursive, in modern times, is a very antiquated form of writing and isn't needed in today's world.

Teaching kids how to write code is a much better use of their time.
Cursive may not be used as often today, but it is not for you to decide if it is useful or not in the school system.

Quote:
P.S.

What's AA?
Ann Arbor. Wasn't too hard to figure out.

Quote:
Oh boy...

Maybe just stay off the internet and keep all those thoughts in your head. Do us all a favor.
Likewise....

Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,021,978 times
A quick bit about the cursive thing- When Rachel Jeantel testified in the Trayvon Martin case, she was handed a letter that was written in cursive and handed it back saying she couldn't read cursive. Although cursive is being less and less used I still think it's important to learn. I have taught it to my children. I can't say if they teach it in SA schools or not because I pulled my children out of public school before they would have learned it.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
A quick bit about the cursive thing- When Rachel Jeantel testified in the Trayvon Martin case, she was handed a letter that was written in cursive and handed it back saying she couldn't read cursive. Although cursive is being less and less used I still think it's important to learn. I have taught it to my children. I can't say if they teach it in SA schools or not because I pulled my children out of public school before they would have learned it.

They still taught it as of 2002.

A big issue with cursive and any handwriting is 50% it's not even readable. I can read (sometimes) and write in cursive but I haven't had the need since high school in La Vernia. I definitely wouldn't move over something like that though.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:10 AM

1,723 posts, read 1,628,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naj609 View Post
I'm having a hard time adjusting to San Antonio, we moved here 6 months ago. Please share why you continue living here. Maybe from my dislikes, what/where I'm missing it. Thanks!

About me:
We've lived coast to coast & I was raised in the Midwest. Family of 3 with a preschooler( Non military). We are living on the NW side, Alamo Ranch area. We're Italian.

I dislike:
There isn't a sense of community(gated & everyone ignores each other)
School District (my child isn't able to enroll in PreK, we make too much $/aren't military & she speaks english. Where's the importance of early childhood education!?)
Shopping (so many rude people & just walking away from your buggy taking up the entire aisle)
Traffic ( no explaintion needed )
Horrible public transportation
Racism(if not of Hispanic culture)

What I like:
The Riverwalk
Weather
Historic
I continue living here because it's home! Moved here in '88 and it's one of the best large metropolitan areas I've lived in. Cost of living is low to me. No harsh winters to deal with. Traffic is nothing compared to some other cities like Houston. All of your dislikes probably exist in other cities as well. I'd suggest looking for the good things, those that you like. As for sense of community, it's a sign of the times, evident everywhere!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,967,776 times
Quote:
I can't say if they teach it in SA schools or not because I pulled my children out of public school before they would have learned it.
It's still taught in elementary within SAISD.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 PM

501 posts, read 948,781 times
Quote:
Let's be honest, Ms. Jeantel isn't the brightest bulb in the room.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,550,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
It's still taught in elementary within SAISD.
My kid, 2nd grader in SAISD hasn't learned it, but she has some friends who write in cursive and has asked to learn. We're slowly teaching her, but it's not something they are getting as part of their curriculum.

While I think it's useful and all should learn, it's not something that would make or break the city for me. The entire state of Texas has a pathetic education system, so another city in Texas wouldn't help.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,341,418 times
Quote:
Let's be honest, Ms. Jeantel isn't the brightest bulb in the room.

Bwhahahahahaha.

I did spit up a little water when I read this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio