Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 PM

432 posts, read 523,414 times

Advertisements

The dog and I have to avoid the weekends to keep from getting run over by the bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 07:16 AM

501 posts, read 776,630 times
Just getting back to riding for the first few times in the wake of Covid-19 and thought I'd post a couple updates:
-Leon Creek is now extended from Valero trailhead to the easternmost edge of The Rim shopping center. Presume it will eventually parallel the high power lines linking that area with NW Military along the southern border of Eisenhower park.
-The previous southern end of the Mission Reach trail (about 1/2 mile south of Mission Espada) is now contigous (sort of) with the easternmost segment of the the Medina River trail, leading all the way to US281. It temporarily ends near that huge TJ Max distribution center, but there's a light to cross Pleasanton Road and thus connect through the neighborhood to the the trailhead at Mission Del Lago golf course.
-Salado Creek trail is paved (but NOT oficially open) between the 1604 trailhead and Eisenhower park. Signage is missing, debris is not being cleared and there is no Trail Steward patrol beyond 1604. Last I heard there's a locked high gate just east of NW military until the quarry's lease expires at the end of this year.

Last edited by gtoman67z; 05-25-2020 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 08:07 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Just getting back to riding for the first few times in the wake of Covid-19 and thought I'd post a couple updates:
-Leon Creek is now extended from Valero trailhead to the easternmost edge of The Rim shopping center. Presume it will eventually parallel the high power lines linking that area with NW Military along the southern border of Eisenhower park.
-The previous southern end of the Mission Reach trail (about 1/2 mile south of Mission Espada) is now contigous (sort of) with the easternmost segment of the the Medina River trail, leading all the way to US281. It temporarily ends near that huge TJ Max distribution center, but there's a light to cross Pleasanton Road and thus connect through the neighborhood to the the trailhead at Mission Del Lago golf course.
-Salado Creek trail is paved (but NOT oficially open) between the 1604 trailhead and Eisenhower park. Signage is missing, debris is not being cleared and there is no Trail Steward patrol beyond 1604. Last I heard there's a locked high gate just east of NW military until the quarry's lease expires at the end of this year.
Salado creek will eventually connect to Valero at the most northern point, no? The last few times I’ve been down I checked out the extension from Hardberger beyond the big power lines 2 miles out. I love that there’s more distance out that way. It’s the one thing I don’t love about Austin, there’s no clear direction in connecting city trails. There torn lake and Walnut Creek, but beyond that there’s no real big (like 13 plus) easy trail system.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Salado creek will eventually connect to Valero at the most northern point, no?
The Leon Creek Greenway Trail and the Salado Creek Greenway Trail will connect at Eisenhower Park, which is north of Valero. They're getting close.

There's a great map here: https://www.sanantonio.gov/parksandr...reenway-trails

It shows where the trail is finished and where it's projected to be. The map was last updated in 2019, so the trail is even further along, but the map gives a good idea of what's still to come.

I first started cycling and running on the greenway trails in 2017 and I've been very impressed with how much San Antonio has done to create and maintain the trail system. The piece from Valero to the Rim just opened last year, and on the south side they just finished connecting the trail in Medina River Natural Area to the trail that goes to the Pleasonton Trailhead, and from there it looks like you can connect to the River Walk (but I haven't tried it yet).

Old 05-28-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioJoe View Post
The Leon Creek Greenway Trail and the Salado Creek Greenway Trail will connect at Eisenhower Park, which is north of Valero. They're getting close.

There's a great map here: https://www.sanantonio.gov/parksandr...reenway-trails

It shows where the trail is finished and where it's projected to be. The map was last updated in 2019, so the trail is even further along, but the map gives a good idea of what's still to come.

I first started cycling and running on the greenway trails in 2017 and I've been very impressed with how much San Antonio has done to create and maintain the trail system. The piece from Valero to the Rim just opened last year, and on the south side they just finished connecting the trail in Medina River Natural Area to the trail that goes to the Pleasonton Trailhead, and from there it looks like you can connect to the River Walk (but I haven't tried it yet).
It is so nice. I love the progress and that it's actually happening. While Austin is fabulous, there really isn't a long area to run/cycle with bathrooms, entrances and water. Violet Crown is about as close as it gets, but there's no water or bathrooms on the trail. I left in 2015 and love coming home to see all the changes.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Just an FYI to all
Got advised on twitter today that SA Park Police were issuing citations to runners/riders on the officially unopened segment. Surprised given that only thing the sign says is SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE- TRAIL WILL BE CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE

Another update:
-Medina River trail is open from Mission Del Lago Golf course all the way to Medina Natural area (off Hwy16). Makes for a 26 mile round trip with more than a few challenging switchbacks. There is nice shade in the river bottom segments and keep your eyes open, as we have rarely ridden it without snake sightings!

Old 06-13-2020, 07:51 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Just an FYI to all
Got advised on twitter today that SA Park Police were issuing citations to runners/riders on the officially unopened segment. Surprised given that only thing the sign says is SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE- TRAIL WILL BE CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE

Another update:
-Medina River trail is open from Mission Del Lago Golf course all the way to Medina Natural area (off Hwy16). Makes for a 26 mile round trip with more than a few challenging switchbacks. There is nice shade in the river bottom segments and keep your eyes open, as we have rarely ridden it without snake sightings!
Thanks for this info. I’ve been riding that segment because half the time the sign is set off to the side to allow access. I won’t ride that segment today. Will be glad when they open it up again. That trek up near Bullis gives a great uphill workout, especially with as windy as it gets up there.

Snakes are defiantly out in full force. Always are after the rains too. I’ve seen 3 Texas corals and one rattler so far and tons of walking sticks. Lots of critters. Makes riding interesting.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Just an FYI to all

Another update:
Could you link to that tweet? I’d like to share it on my Facebook. A big chunk of my friends are still in SA and runners/cyclists and I I know they’ve been using this area.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,188 times
Quote:
Just an FYI to all
Wow, that's shocking to me that they're ticketing. I haven't tried the new extension yet because both times I've tried the road block and sign was up, but I thought I just hit it at bad times when they were clearing trees or something. Several of my friends have run or biked it and they say it's very much finished right to the point where a fence stops you from going further. Hopefully they'll finish the maintenance soon.

Quote:
Another update:
I rode this last weekend. It's great! I rode past the golf course to Mission Espada and then did the return trip. I do hope there's a long-term alternative in the works for crossing 281. It's good to have the traffic light there, but definitely not the ideal way to get across.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:14 PM

Selected tweets from this AM- not publicizing ID's:

Long story short, I started at Phil Hardberger was going to run my usual route to 1604 and back, but saw the extension was open & made my 7mi into a 14mi but on my return trip a cop told me it was actually closed and we were TRESSPASSING. He was stopping people left and right.

When do you think it’ll be open? I can never tell if it is or not. I was on it about 3 weeks ago with a lot of people and we all were stopped by police offers and issued citations even though no signs suggested it was closed. I’ve been avoiding it since....

Re-upping this issue for @COSAGOV & @SAParksandRec— tiny issue in the big scheme of things, but building a trail and putting up a little, vague sign while homeowners who back up to the trail continue to use it is problematic. What’s the harm in allowing access up to the quarry?

I'm shocked you were cited for being on that section! So sorry! I run/ride on the 1604 to Eisenhower section almost daily and it gets lots of use from cyclists, etc. I almost never see cops on that section but on the few occasions I have they've just rolled past me.

Ongoing story, hence this edit

SAParksandRec
@SAParksandRec
Hello, Until all work is completed by the contractor and accepted by the City, the trail remains closed to the public. The good news, we expect to open this segment of the trail (1604 Trailhead up to the quarry gate) by Friday, June 19th.

In re. Medina trail, there's a glimmer of hope in the Rivard Report article linked below: "Technically, one piece remains before the trail can officially be called complete. The Texas Department of Transportation is set to build a pedestrian-friendly intersection that joins the trailhead on the east side of U.S. 281 to Mattox Park on the west side. That could be finished as soon as June, Ross said."
https://therivardreport.com/the-trai...-river-trails/

Last edited by gtoman67z; 06-13-2020 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio