Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 09:33 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Selected tweets from this AM- not publicizing ID's:

Long story short, I started at Phil Hardberger was going to run my usual route to 1604 and back, but saw the extension was open & made my 7mi into a 14mi but on my return trip a cop told me it was actually closed and we were TRESSPASSING. He was stopping people left and right.

When do you think it’ll be open? I can never tell if it is or not. I was on it about 3 weeks ago with a lot of people and we all were stopped by police offers and issued citations even though no signs suggested it was closed. I’ve been avoiding it since....

Re-upping this issue for @COSAGOV & @SAParksandRec— tiny issue in the big scheme of things, but building a trail and putting up a little, vague sign while homeowners who back up to the trail continue to use it is problematic. What’s the harm in allowing access up to the quarry?

I'm shocked you were cited for being on that section! So sorry! I run/ride on the 1604 to Eisenhower section almost daily and it gets lots of use from cyclists, etc. I almost never see cops on that section but on the few occasions I have they've just rolled past me.

Ongoing story, hence this edit

SAParksandRec
@SAParksandRec
Hello, Until all work is completed by the contractor and accepted by the City, the trail remains closed to the public. The good news, we expect to open this segment of the trail (1604 Trailhead up to the quarry gate) by Friday, June 19th.

In re. Medina trail, there's a glimmer of hope in the Rivard Report article linked below: "Technically, one piece remains before the trail can officially be called complete. The Texas Department of Transportation is set to build a pedestrian-friendly intersection that joins the trailhead on the east side of U.S. 281 to Mattox Park on the west side. That could be finished as soon as June, Ross said."
https://therivardreport.com/the-trai...-river-trails/
Actually that segment from 1604 trailhead is paved all the way to just across the street from Eisenhower Park and it was accessible, but a few weeks ago one of the workers said they were going to fence it off until the connector to and through Eisenhower is complete. It was open even before they finished paving to the park and I used to ride it to see the progress, but I guess the workers got in trouble for allowing those segments to stay open. The worker said that segment (behind the fence and parallel to Bullis) would remain closed until sometime in July, but I was under the impression the part from 1604 to the fence would still be accessible. I guess not. Like I said I have been riding it but I didn’t today. Instead I just tacked on extra miles on the other side of the trail from Tobin to the end there by Holbrook Rd past Ritteman
where they have been working on that connection forever. Some of Holbrook is now paved instead of torn up or rutted, so I ride it to SAMC. No base access and no path from the creek to Holbrook but maybe one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,548 times
Default This is as far as I got.

Biking the city Greenway Trails-b0a61300-6364-4fe8-8d40-bed1d44e4b39.jpg

Old 09-21-2020, 09:09 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borocay View Post
Where on the trail was that? I know they got a long period of time the area near the curve on Babcock headed towards UTSA was private property, but that’s since been opened up.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:25 AM

501 posts, read 776,764 times
That fence/gate is within the last mile before the trail reaches NW Military. Biked it a couple times before the gate was locked and trail is completed, other than any trailhead amenities (if any are planned- would appear redundant since parking and restrooms are are readily available in Eisenhower park) on NW Military. Presumably the land reverts to city control and the gate disappears sometime in December.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
That fence/gate is within the last mile before the trail reaches NW Military. Biked it a couple times before the gate was locked and trail is completed, other than any trailhead amenities (if any are planned- would appear redundant since parking and restrooms are are readily available in Eisenhower park) on NW Military. Presumably the land reverts to city control and the gate disappears sometime in December.
That’s what I was thinking. I haven’t been out that way since like December, so any experience I have with the trail is outdated. The person who posted this just needs to head back in the other direction. There’s lot of trail the other way.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:34 AM

Suggestions for parking to explore the new trail sections? Does the new section from Eisenhower go to Valero yet? I’d like to run five miles tomorrow and can totally do my usual near buddy calk or Hardberger but would love to adventure a bit.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:58 PM

Fairly decent sized parking lot available at the 1604 trailhead, bonus attraction our last weekend riding were the rock climbers taking on the Medicine Wall cliff. Can't find the exact date, but recall that the gate at the Eisenhower park entrance was coming down in December.
Leon Creek trail still ends at the eastern edge of The Rim behind the condos, my presumption is that it will probably follow the easement underneath the power lines between the park boundary and the quarry property-not particularly scenic.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Fairly decent sized parking lot available at the 1604 trailhead, bonus attraction our last weekend riding were the rock climbers taking on the Medicine Wall cliff. Can't find the exact date, but recall that the gate at the Eisenhower park entrance was coming down in December.
Leon Creek trail still ends at the eastern edge of The Rim behind the condos, my presumption is that it will probably follow the easement underneath the power lines between the park boundary and the quarry property-not particularly scenic.
Thanks. I’ll probably just do my usual Hardberger run and go up until I hit my 2.5.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
From the horse's mouth (https://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndR...ark-Closures):

Eisenhower Park - Due to construction on the Greenway trailhead, there will be limited parking near the construction site. Construction is scheduled to begin March 9. The Hillview trail along with south border of Eisenhower Park will also be closed for construction beginning approximately November 2020, to be rebuilt in concrete and incorporated into the Leon Creek Greenway trail system.

Salado Creek (Loop 1604 to Eisenhower Park) – The remaining one mile of trail through the quarry area along the south border of Camp Bullis, including the Eisenhower Park trailhead, is expected to be completed and opened to the public in December 2020.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Salado Creek (Loop 1604 to Eisenhower Park) – The remaining one mile of trail through the quarry area along the south border of Camp Bullis, including the Eisenhower Park trailhead, is expected to be completed and opened to the public in December 2020.
So this is what connects to Leon Creek? FWIW, there was a large contingent of people running south from Eisenhower when I was out on Thanksgiving. I started at harberger and headed up three miles, so really just an extra mile up from where it stopped at the big power lines before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio