Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 06:00 AM

501 posts, read 776,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
From the horse's mouth (https://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndR...ark-Closures):

Eisenhower Park - Due to construction on the Greenway trailhead, there will be limited parking near the construction site. Construction is scheduled to begin March 9. The Hillview trail along with south border of Eisenhower Park will also be closed for construction beginning approximately November 2020, to be rebuilt in concrete and incorporated into the Leon Creek Greenway trail system.

Salado Creek (Loop 1604 to Eisenhower Park) – The remaining one mile of trail through the quarry area along the south border of Camp Bullis, including the Eisenhower Park trailhead, is expected to be completed and opened to the public in December 2020.
Pictures from 12/21- Not shown is little bit of information in the corner stating that the length of Leon Creek Greenway is ~18 miles (presumably to Military/410 trailhead) and that Salado is ~20 miles (to Rittiman Rd/Black Swan Inn)
Attached Thumbnails
Biking the city Greenway Trails-eisenhower-park-trailhead.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 08:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Pictures from 12/21- Not shown is little bit of information in the corner stating that the length of Leon Creek Greenway is ~18 miles (presumably to Military/410 trailhead) and that Salado is ~20 miles (to Rittiman Rd/Black Swan Inn)
Leon creek, from Valero to military, I believe is 13. I’m assuming they bumped the start back up towards Eisenhower? Or will? I’ve done that run/bike a few times.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:55 PM

3,257 posts, read 1,410,291 times
I am not an experienced cyclist on city roads...is it relatively safe/easy to bike from the Pearl area to one of the Greenway Trail access points? On google maps, it looks like if I can ride safely to Oakwell Park, I would be able to ride on an extended portion of the Greenway Trail north of the city. Thanks for any perspective.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I am not an experienced cyclist on city roads...is it relatively safe/easy to bike from the Pearl area to one of the Greenway Trail access points? On google maps, it looks like if I can ride safely to Oakwell Park, I would be able to ride on an extended portion of the Greenway Trail north of the city. Thanks for any perspective.
It looks like that’s on Salado Creek Greenway. My understanding, from this thread, is that there’s a section that is closed keeping you from heading all the way up to Eisenhower Park. But, I think you should be able to get pretty far north. However, it’s overall safe. Just be careful with some of the curves that creep up on you. They do a good job of saying “blind curve,” but they can get pretty steep. I got a pretty gnarled concussion on Leon creek about five years ago.

On another note, I did a 14 mile run from Eisenhower down to Hardberger on Saturday and it was glorious; a little creepy and still for the first 3 miles since I started right at seven, but by the time I was heading back traffic (bike, foot and even rollerbladders) was up and the parking lot was full.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:19 PM

814 posts, read 675,651 times
A couple months ago there was still no car access to the Oakwell trailhead. Probably related to the major sewer project running south from there.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Your closest access point from the Pearl would likely be where Rittiman crosses over Holbrook. Not sure if there's any amenities or even signage there. If you turn on Aina after crossing the bridge it will take you to Holbrook at what is essentially mile zero of the Salado North trail.
Unfortunately can't give street route advice between Pearl and that point. Burr is narrow and gets a lot of traffic at times, would probably opt for Geneseo or Garraty to get from New Braunfels ave over to Austin Highway.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:37 PM

3,257 posts, read 1,410,291 times
Quote:
Your closest access point from the Pearl would likely be where Rittiman crosses over Holbrook. Not sure if there's any amenities or even signage there. If you turn on Aina after crossing the bridge it will take you to Holbrook at what is essentially mile zero of the Salado North trail.
Unfortunately can't give street route advice between Pearl and that point. Burr is narrow and gets a lot of traffic at times, would probably opt for Geneseo or Garraty to get from New Braunfels ave over to Austin Highway.
Thank you...this gives me a start on figuring out if I can safely ride to the Trail, or if I should just throw the bike in the back of the car and schlep it over, park, and ride.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:53 PM

Default Not updated in a while, but this thread might be of interest

For anyone interested in riding from the downtown area, the Mission Reach trail is now extended ~5 miles south of Mission Espada all the way to Pleasanton Rd, where a brief jaunt through a neighborhood leaves you at the Mission Del Lago trailhead. My only gripe here is the lack of parking ever since Blue Star got snooty about "parking for customers only" thus leaving us with little recourse other than street parking in King William neighborhood (supposedly 2 hour limit on most streets).

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-...riverwalk.html

Old 12-13-2021, 05:48 PM

Can anyone confirm the connection up by Valero and the rim? Are Valero and Salado ow officially connected? I need to get in a 16-18 mile run Christmas week when I’m in town and I’d love to try a new bit of the trail. Last year, I did the Eisenhower park to Hardberger section.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:44 AM

Yup, goes all the way through. Theoretically you could ride from 410/Military trailhead all the way to Rittiman (new trailhead across the street from Victoria's Black Swan Inn). IIRC, it's 20 miles on the Leon Creek segment, and 18 on the Salado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio