Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:52 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,202 times

Advertisements

That's a real shame what's happening at this church! It seems to happen so often these days. I think there is so much misconception about giving vs. tithing. A lot of churches really try to push tithing as a mandatory requirement (which in Old Testament times was used to maintain a theocracy) vs. free will offerings of the heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:18 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
That's a real shame what's happening at this church! It seems to happen so often these days. I think there is so much misconception about giving vs. tithing. A lot of churches really try to push tithing as a mandatory requirement (which in Old Testament times was used to maintain a theocracy) vs. free will offerings of the heart.
Excellent point. The New Testament goes so far as to show those that are showy about their tithe - that it means nothing to God. He would rather you give out of love and worship than to make a big display of it. The focus in church should not be money - either the spending or collecting it.

I have met Rick Godwin, in his flash suits and Porsche a few years back - had lunch with him at Piatti's (sp?) in the Quarry. I was really creeped out at his false sincerity about spiritual things. He was more concerned with his appearance than anything else. He definitely pushes the prosperity gospel that is found no where in the Bible.

I used to live in Country Place out in north Bexar County where the Godwin's built a house. Not sure if they live there now - but when we lived out there in the mid 90's we had a family past time of walking through homes under construction. We were walking through his spread (huge house) and he and Cindy came by and he was very very rude. He demanded that we get off his private land and never step foot in his house again. (just in case anyone is wondering there were no tresspassing signs on the lot as we were always careful to avoid properties that had such signs) He can be very intimidating - not at all the meek humble man that the Bible calls church leaders to be. One of his Elder's also has a mansion out in that neighborhood - Dr. Rocha I believe.

Really sad that so many people are taken in by him.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Amen, banker.

Unfortunately, I am never surprised when I read these articles about the leaders of the mega-churches.

I can see the advantages of a large congregation, but I think that as a church gets bigger and bigger, the temptations for corruption also grow.

Not to open a can of worms, but do you think these problems occur because these churches are "non-demoninational" where the pastor has so much more control? My reasoning is that in a "named" denomination, one can easily find out exactly what the church believes, and the pastor leads but isn't necessarily responsible for the church's size. I've always been leery of places that were "founded" by a pastor rather than where the pastor was "found" - I just think it is human nature for someone who has grown a church from 2 people to 2000 people to begin to think they are the one solely responsible for its growth.

I guess I just really prefer my little church.

I think there is a lot of truth to that...but the main line demoninational church's are also suspect to corruption if they are not true to God's word. I go to a small (about 300 member) non denominational Bible church and am proud to say that the church is very open about all things. At the yearly meeting the budget is laid open for everyone to see including the pastoral salary and benefits. Our pastor makes about what the average income of the church is. His (our pastor) focus is on pleasing God and teaching...not making him self rich.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM

181 posts, read 674,291 times
He's at the Sonterra brunch every Sunday with his family. He just looks shady walking around with his dyed jet black hair and bright blue and red suits. Why does he need to be that flashy? He and his "done up" wife walk around as if they're better than everyone else in the building. He never smiles or talks with anyone. I couldn't wait to show my husband the article in the paper. We knew something was up with them!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:46 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times
I just read the article and saw that last year the church took in $6.5 million dollars, 10% of which the pastor put into an account for him to spend the money as he chose. It was suppose to be done only with elder approval, but there was no approval. So, looks like last year the church unkowingly paid him $650k. That's a nice salary. Doesn't take into account the money he pocketed from outside speaking engagments.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
I just read the article and saw that last year the church took in $6.5 million dollars, 10% of which the pastor put into an account for him to spend the money as he chose. It was suppose to be done only with elder approval, but there was no approval. So, looks like last year the church unkowingly paid him $650k. That's a nice salary. Doesn't take into account the money he pocketed from outside speaking engagments.
That is about 54K a month salary plus an unlimited expense account. If this job was posted on Monster under another category how many people would apply for it

Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,361 times
Default About Eagle Nest Church

My family and I moved to San Antonio Tx few months ago and we were looking for a church and one of the members of EN Chruch invited my family to go there, she also told us many bad comments about Hagee and all his empire (This memeber of EN is a private detective), she had very good and accurate info about Corner Stone, she said that Pastor Hagee live at the Dominium area in a 5 million home and she also said that Corner Stone Church is a big business for Hagee's Family... and we were very dissapointed to hear that and many other stuff... so, we visited Eagle Nest, pastor Godwin was very good and we kind of like him that first time... but after he started to push and push for money, he has many arguments like: " you dont have to give to EN" "give someone else church but give", "God will reward you 100 times in what you give", "invest in God cause"... this is always what he said but he become to be extremadly pushy about to money contributions, it wasn't normal for us, im not exagerating... now that all this news come out... we are very sad about it, how those kinds of "servants of God" want to "sale" salvation to church members.... salvation is free and our King Jesus already paid for... I dont have a problem to contibute to church, but definitly im not going to put my money in the pocket of those crimminals.

I want to commet one more thing about Hagee, in his service when he recive the offerings, he always ask to all congregation : Who came to the House of God with the offereing?" and he ask you lift your hand with your contribution, it was weird to me...i never seen something like that... is like he want to make it public who gives and who dont... totally wrong according the bible say. anyway I would like to hear about it if someone know something.

God Bless you all !

Last edited by Gabrik; 11-24-2007 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,672 times
I went to school with one of the Hagee kids, and the stuff I learned about their lifestyle would curl your hair, it was so outrageous.

According to the paper, Godwin has yet to return to town. It could be totally innocent, but it sure looks awfully shifty to disappear and go on total radio silence when something like this happens.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:46 PM

15 posts, read 91,975 times
Quote:
According to the paper, Godwin has yet to return to town. It could be totally innocent, but it sure looks awfully shifty to disappear and go on total radio silence when something like this happens.
I just looked at the Eagle's Nest website ( encfsa - monthly calendar (http://www.encfsa.com/calendars/calendar.cfm - broken link) ) and Pastor Godwin was supposed to preach this weekend on 11/24, Saturday night and 11/25, Sunday morning. Is he back in town?

Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Yep.

The Express News has an article up already, where Godwin speaks about the Express News article that chronicled his churches spending.

MySA.com: Metro | State (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA112507.01A.Godwin.29b8b3f.html - broken link)

Quote:
Pastor Rick Godwin took the stage at his popular church Saturday and, for the first time, said a newspaper article presented a skewed picture of finances at Eagle's Nest Christian Fellowship.

But Godwin acknowledged the church might have spent too much on gifts for church leaders and on charter travel.

He said the church is temporarily halting the practice of spending money on expensive charter planes for him and other members. And he told the congregation the church has hired a law firm to review expenditures.
more...

Quote:
Godwin had declined repeated requests from the Express-News for an interview. On Saturday, Godwin told the congregation he reimbursed the church for every personal expense he and his family received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio