Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Perhaps he was moving to that zip code and wanted there to be a bunch of Spanish speakers.
Maybe he wanted there to not be a bunch of Spanish speakers.
Judging from the OP's past posting history, I willing to bet it was neither one of those possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 10:11 AM

54 posts, read 49,544 times
Yes. It is true, you absolutely are correct. Children growing up in the twenties and thirties in south Texas
were highly discouraged from speaking Spanish in public elementary schools. Suppression it was in reality.
Corporal punishment even, a spanking for the boys and a tongue lashing for girls was administered for speaking Spanish on the school playground. Cotulla , Texas, 1928. sic
( Robert Caro. Author excerpt from- The years of Lyndon Johnson- The Path to Power) page 168, Volume 1.
It was LBJ who would strike the kids for speaking Spanish, there in Cotulla.

As high school students , to further elaborate, kids in saisd did not take high school Spanish class with Anglos, but were enrolled in a separate class for native speakers which was far, far more difficult.
The following is an excerpt from a Civil Rights Speech that Pres. LBJ delivered to both houses upon his tenure as a teacher in Cotulla, Texas and comments upon the poor Mexican American students at an elementary school the President first taught after attending college in San Marcos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdNEOtGRi_w
Did LBJ care if the Mexican American kids learned? Absolutely. He was the best teacher that school ever had and immediately was appointed Principal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
>Yes, growing up in SA remember speaking a language other than English being highly discouraged. In my view that changed around the late 90's or so.

I'm curious if it was ever like that in the border towns?

Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,499,049 times
LOL
I was waiting for the LBJ reference.
The Huckster rides again....

Old 02-18-2019, 10:41 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
More like the thread de-rail'er strikes again.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssanantonio View Post
As high school students , to further elaborate, kids in saisd did not take high school Spanish class with Anglos, but were enrolled in a separate class for native speakers which was far, far more difficult.
Not sure if it's still true in many SA districts, but back in the day (1999-2003) NISD still had regular Spanish classes and then Spanish for Spanish speakers. I know there were LatinX students in my Spanish classes (even up until Spanish 4 AP) and a few students that I know were native speakers. But I am unsure of what the Spanish speakers curriculum looked like. I don't believe I've seen a "spanish speakers" Spanish class up here in Austin, but we also have a ton of budget issues that would maybe impact the level and numbers of languages other then english classes.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:27 PM

502 posts, read 391,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I guess the OP is not coming back to check this thread again but I have to wonder what is the point of this thread and why does it matter?
It's actually extremley interesting from a sociological aspect. I think studying these trends reveals a Lot About San antonios culture.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:15 PM

54 posts, read 49,544 times
I do not know any huckster but as I read on this topic I see that Jeff Bezos owns 350,000 acres of land outside Cotulla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
LOL
I was waiting for the LBJ reference.
The Huckster rides again....

Old 02-18-2019, 02:09 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssanantonio View Post
I do not know any huckster but as I read on this topic I see that Jeff Bezos owns 350,000 acres of land outside Cotulla.
350,000 acres? Holy cow! Where did you read that? Can you post a link?

I've seen reports that he grew up working his grandfather's 25,000 acre ranch outside Cotulla.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:31 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
350,000 acres? Holy cow! Where did you read that? Can you post a link?

I've seen reports that he grew up working his grandfather's 25,000 acre ranch outside Cotulla.
It's in his Wiki article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bezos

Maybe the world's richest man plans to get out of tech and start fracking, but we digress on this zombie thread.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:54 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It's in his Wiki article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bezos

Maybe the world's richest man plans to get out of tech and start fracking, but we digress on this zombie thread.
That's over 500 square miles. Must be some ranch.

By contrast, The City of San Antonio is 465 square miles. I would take information published by Wikipedia with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio