Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 AM

437 posts, read 638,763 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the diagram.
What exactly am I missing here that this is not considered a grocery store?
Meats, deli, produce, floral, prepared foods. Stuff you don't see at your closest gas station.
Seems pretty adequate as a starter grocery store for the typical home owner that's not reading too much into this stuff. Don't tell me you won't be able to walk in there and not find something to cook...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
Let's wait and see. It's really all the citizens of this city can do at this point.
You just struck at the heart of the issue. All of this is being done without the approval or disapproval of a majority of voters.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Millennials want that lifestyle.
That doesn't mean they're entitled to have it provided to them, at the expense of everyone else.

And which is it, they want that lifestyle, or it meets a need?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:21 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
You just struck at the heart of the issue. All of this is being done without the approval or disapproval of a majority of voters.
We live in a representative democracy, our elected official are handling it. That's what they are there for. If you don't like the way they handled an issue vote them out. In the meantime understand that what you want or believe is not what everyone else wants, or believes.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:03 PM

336 posts, read 483,982 times
Overall, I suppose SOMETHING is better than NOTHING... And Downtown, we have very little at this point in terms of grocery.

But- It's not what the city, nor the downtown citizens have asked for. HEB was given several bullet points for a new location and they didn't hit any of them squarely. In typical fashion and what I see as a power-play, they scaled everything back, ignored some things altogether and are sticking in ugly gas pumps when there are existing gas stations in the area that suit our needs already.

Yes, it's a glorified gas station. Literally. I'm 'meh' on all of it, but hope this initial build brings in other companies (TJs, Whole Foods) to do HEB better and beat them at their own silly game.

For now, I can always rely on grocery delivery services to sidestep the need to give HEB my business

Old 12-04-2013, 04:32 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
Overall, I suppose SOMETHING is better than NOTHING... And Downtown, we have very little at this point in terms of grocery.

But- It's not what the city, nor the downtown citizens have asked for. HEB was given several bullet points for a new location and they didn't hit any of them squarely. In typical fashion and what I see as a power-play, they scaled everything back, ignored some things altogether and are sticking in ugly gas pumps when there are existing gas stations in the area that suit our needs already.

Yes, it's a glorified gas station. Literally. I'm 'meh' on all of it, but hope this initial build brings in other companies (TJs, Whole Foods) to do HEB better and beat them at their own silly game.

For now, I can always rely on grocery delivery services to sidestep the need to give HEB my business
Anything you actually have against HEB, or is it just lacking in the Big Board, look where I shop factor? Sort of a thin reason to avoid a given retailer. People have been clamoring for a downtown store for years. Now there are plans for one and it isn't good enough becuase it isn't Whole Foods or a dressed up Aldi (TJs)....no pleasing everyone I suppose.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Anything you actually have against HEB, or is it just lacking in the Big Board, look where I shop factor? Sort of a thin reason to avoid a given retailer. People have been clamoring for a downtown store for years. Now there are plans for one and it isn't good enough becuase it isn't Whole Foods or a dressed up Aldi (TJs)....no pleasing everyone I suppose.
I am a lot happier with the latest design plan. Not ideal, but better than what they first came up with by far. However, I believe that has only come about due to some pushback. Many were surprised that all downtowners didn't just fall down at the feet of HEB and thank them for their generosity. I'm fine with HEB/CM, but they do need to be realistic about what they're offering.

The store itself is more appealing, but the blocking off of foot/bike access, making the access to this store focus on vehicle traffic off of two busy vehicle oriented streets, flies in the face of urban planning. I'd like to see the city at least acknowledge that, and consider the larger picture before accepting this plan.

I am a strong supporter of our local leaders and this won't change that, but I do think they have a hard time thinking more broadly about this.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:16 PM

501 posts, read 949,090 times
It's an urban grocery store. People expecting some walmart size building in the urban core need to get a grip on reality.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
We live in a representative democracy, our elected official are handling it. That's what they are there for. If you don't like the way they handled an issue vote them out. In the meantime understand that what you want or believe is not what everyone else wants, or believes.
The fact that we elected our officials doesn't give them carte blanche to do whatever they want.

They are our proxies.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:25 PM

501 posts, read 949,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The fact that we elected our officials doesn't give them carte blanche to do whatever they want.

They are our proxies.
You don't know how politics work, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio