Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:11 AM

437 posts, read 634,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
A lot of this is blatant spin, being reported on by folks who have their hand in the cookie jar in one form or another. HEB has a lot of money spread around this city. Lots of takers in many facets of power.

What they're not reporting is that HEB was asked for a minimum 15k sq ft store and they offered a 6k pantry. More so, it was only ready-made, pre-packaged food sourced from Central Market and not anything like a real grocer. It's a higher-end gas station... And HEB still wants that one million dollar incentive for all of their 'trouble.'

They complain endlessly about how they won't make any profit from this venture for years and years. Boofriggityhoo Charles: You've been treating this city as your own personal ATM for ages. Doing something good for the citizens who have supported HEB for many, many years is the least this company can do to foster continued goodwill. What they're proposing now is a copout, no good for the residents who actually live in the area and should not be allowed to go forward.

Those of us who live in this area have the right to ask for this project to be done right. What's on the table now is complete junk...
Ok, you clearly did not read the recent news. Why are you commenting on old information?
Also, the rest of your comments are just immature. Take a deep breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:40 AM

336 posts, read 481,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
Ok, you clearly did not read the recent news. Why are you commenting on old information?
Also, the rest of your comments are just immature. Take a deep breath.
So they're not taking the $1 million now... Let's see how long that lasts.

So they've bumped it up 2k sq ft. Still not what the city and citizens asked for.

And they want to close the street.

[Mod cut: rude] Get back to me when you've lived here, worked here and know how tight knit the residents of Southtown/King William really are.

Last edited by elnina; 11-13-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,952,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

How bad do the downtown folks want a HEB downtown is the real question here.
Not that bad that we will have to close streets and give land to H.E.B.

I am all for H.E.B. to remodel their Nogolitos store, it is only about 2 miles or less from their corporate headquarters. Right now it is a pitiful excuse for an H.E.B.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:55 AM

11,573 posts, read 13,884,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
So they're not taking the $1 million now... Let's see how long that lasts.

So they've bumped it up 2k sq ft. Still not what the city and citizens asked for.

And they want to close the street.

[Mod cut: rude] Get back to me when you've lived here, worked here and know how tight knit the residents of Southtown/King William really are.

"But...But, it's not what we want!!" You guys have been whining for years for a grocery store and now that someone has stepped up to the plate, you're going to whine some more?

If I was HEB, I'd take the million too.

Last edited by elnina; 11-13-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 09:49 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,440,720 times
You gotta deal with the road closure for a while. But you will get over it.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:58 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,869,877 times
Do people really expect a company to NOT want to be profitable? I am laughing yet also retching at this. Goodwill? That's where people dump old clothes.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 AM

336 posts, read 481,667 times
Truly heartwarming that so many are weighing in, most of whom don't live in the area and won't be affected by any decision HEB or the city makes.

Easy to be a cavalier when it's not your street they want to close

As for profit, I never said HEB shouldn't make money. You're attempting, quite sloppily, to twist my words. What I said was that HEB has had a near-monopoly in this city, has made obscene amounts of money from SA and that I won't cry if this new location isn't profitable for the first few years.

Frankly, I'd love to see Whole Foods, TJs or even a Walmart Market concept swoop in right now and beat HEB to the punch. Unlikely to happen, I know...

Last edited by staunchcharacter; 10-26-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 01:11 PM

11,573 posts, read 13,884,389 times
Dear HEB,

That's great and all that you are setting up shop downtown but you clearly do not live in our area. I would advise you to please contact us PRIOR to spending a $100M of YOUR money to build a store in OUR area. We live here and you don't so clearly we know what's best for the area and thus we will be happy to facilitate the use of your $100M in a matter as we see fit.

We look forward to allowing you to build a store in our close-nit community and are confident that you'll be happy with the store we will let you build.

Sincerely,
The Important Downtown Dwellers

PS: We can discuss the remote possibility of profiting off this location once the project is underway.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,952,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Do people really expect a company to NOT want to be profitable? I am laughing yet also retching at this. Goodwill? That's where people dump old clothes.
If H.E.B. is all about profit, wouldn't the most logical and cost effective thing to do is just build a small sky bridge over the road? UIW built one over a highway!!!

Old 10-26-2013, 02:03 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,406,233 times
Hahaha doesn't Charles butt live in king William? I would think he would know what's best for his neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio