Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM

16 posts, read 31,206 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My parents are considering retiring to San Antonio next year from the Washington, DC area and they've asked me to do a bit of research for them. They have been once or twice, enjoyed their time there, and like the fact that the winters aren't too bad down there compared to DC.

I'd appreciate any advice in terms of areas they can look at that have the following characteristics:

1) reasonable house prices. somewhere $200K or below would be great since they would be retiring on a budget. Ideally areas with lower property tax rates too, although I understand these tend to be higher in TX in general.
2) safe neighborhood. Somewhere they can feel safe walking through the neighborhood including at nighttime
3) near usual amenities (grocery, libraries, restaurants, etc.) but doesn't necessarily have to be in central San Antonio or in city limits, as long as it is accessible to downtown if necessary.

They are relatively young (late 50s) so they are not looking for a retirement community or anything of that sort yet, unless those are much cheaper (if so, please include any thoughts on those!).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
Hi there! There are a couple very recent "retiring to SA" posts on this forum. You may want to look through those. I posted some property tax info in one of them. I live in McLean, but grew up in SA and still have a house there. I may retire to SA, based mostly on having family in the area. I prefer the DC area because I LOVE having four seasons and an economically diverse economy where I can ALWAYS find a job/consulting gig.

Have they considered renting first? SA is a huge city, with many different pockets. I love the Terrell Heights/Alamo Heights area (78209) but taxes are fairly high. The Pearl Brewery development on Broadway (78215) is also up and coming, but I'm not too sure about housing options. Lots of rentals; just not sure about purchasing. Maybe look into the Olmos Park area (78212) or Castle Hills (78213) areas. To learn more about property taxes, you can search an address in BCAD.org.

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 11-04-2013 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 11-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Oops...just read $200K or below. Rules out most areas I mentioned. Maybe the Northwood area in 78209, which is close to Alamo Heights but does not have the taxes of AHSD. Under $200K might be hard in the nicer areas. If I were moving back and purchasing now, my budget would be $250K + for a 2 bedroom smallish house in a nicer area, maybe Terrell Heights or Northwood.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Seconded for Northwood, but stretch to 250k. Also look in the city of Windcrest should be quite a bit available around your budget.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Windcrest might work. For some reason, I've never liked that area. Can't put my finger on it. To the OP, Windcrest reminds me of Sterling, VA or Oxon Hill, MD.

Some retirees also look into surrounding smaller towns, like New Braunfels, Helotes, Kerrville. Just a thought. Good luck!!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
There are some fanstastic online resources to give you an idea of the types of homes for sale in your price range. You can see the homes and use the site features like satellite or street views to get an idea of the surrounding areas.

San Antonio TX Homes For Sale & San Antonio Real Estate - Zillow

Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
IMHO, Zillow is clunky and doesn't really allow you to "drill down" past the junk you really don't want. Might also try:

San Antonio, Texas, and Hill Country Property Search | San Antonio Real Estate-SABOR-San Antonio Board Of Realtors®

Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 AM

14 posts, read 29,222 times
SATx is a retirement Heaven for the Military and a few other and even some of the outlying areas, Bandera, Boerne, Kerrville, Marble falls, there are many places along the IH=35 N, from SATx, corridor and IH-10 W along with the U.S. Hywy 281 N from here as well.

Most of the NW and N areas are more scenic than the E, S and W sides of town. Most of the roads in Tx are in great shape and diving is not an issue, lest you try to drive during the morning and late afternoon RUSH (misnomer) 3-5 hours time periods then you may have some delays(?).

Good Luck and TIA, CU L8R,
LexCi

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM

584 posts, read 1,193,017 times
There are some communities on Canyon Golf Road (far north San Antonio) that are below $200. The zip code is 78260. This is Bexar County (not city - so no city taxes). The school is Comal County which I beleive is a little cheaper that NEISD. The area is in the Stone Oak area which has tons of grocery stores, shopping and restaurants. They wouldn't have to travel far outside the area for anything. I run in the neighborhood all the time and find it to be safe. I am in Canyon Springs which is also on Canyon Golf Road.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 31,206 times
Thanks, everyone! Any more comments in terms of specific neighborhoods are still welcome newer neighborhoods (90s-present) in particular would be nice so they don't have to worry too much about home repairs, etc. but perhaps that is asking too much?

Austindoxie - they've considered renting but given that interest rates are so low, they don't want to miss out! and thanks for the comparison with the cities in the DC area - I don't like Sterling or Oxon Hill at all either, so that helps.

Penquin927 - thanks for your suggestion as well. the neighborhoods off Canyon Golf look quite nice! I will do a more thorough search in that ZIP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio