Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 AM

126 posts, read 250,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
There are endless videos and "facts" out there for both sides of this issue. Matters not as it's still available to all, even those with no income through various programs. No need to put it in something as basic and essential for life as our water supply!
Actually no. Theres a lot of "claims" on both sides. As for scientific facts...they are squarely on one side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Someone makes money out of putting it in the water. It is always about money. Not about health.
So you think that the people of San Antonio voted for and passed a measure to fluoridate water based on the fact that someone was going to get the contract to do it and get rich?

This was not a city council issue. It was voted for by San Antonio citizens in the November 2000 election.

SAWS is the one that adds the fluoride, not an independent contractor.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 AM

Oh, and it costs around 1 penny per gallon to fluoridate.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,467,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAustinDDS View Post
So you think that the people of San Antonio voted for and passed a measure to fluoridate water based on the fact that someone was going to get the contract to do it and get rich?

This was not a city council issue. It was voted for by San Antonio citizens in the November 2000 election.

SAWS is the one that adds the fluoride, not an independent contractor.
I did not know that. so I stand corrected.
I am always thinking that there is corruption in everything. even in SAWS. I did not know it was voted by the people. I just wonder what types of commercials were passed on TV showing people with bright white teeth, and a dentist saying " get your fluoride and get your stains removed" and people believed it.
I am being silly. I am sure no commercial passed, and I am sure the voters have no idea what they voted on. either way, I do stand corrected in thinking that anyone was going to make money off fluoride.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,795,646 times
Fluoride has been in our drinking water for some time now. I grew up in a house that had it's own well drilled on the lot, and I can taste the difference between "well water" and "tap water", but I don't know if it is because of the fluoride in it. It could be something else.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Fluoride has been in our drinking water for some time now. I grew up in a house that had it's own well drilled on the lot, and I can taste the difference between "well water" and "tap water", but I don't know if it is because of the fluoride in it. It could be something else.
Studies show the taste difference comes from other minerals like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, etc. If just purely fluoride, you can't taste the difference.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 AM

97 posts, read 152,344 times
i guess fluoridated water works wonders what i do not understand is why dentist visits have increased so much especially for the school age children not to mention what good contributions to all that have to take medications daily-- meds have increased somewhat too.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,277,151 times
This was a huge fight in SA spanning 30 years. Just looked it up and the first vote was in 1966. I know before the 2000 vote we were told by fluoride proponents that SA was essentially a non-progressive backwater place because every major city had fluoride. Not taking sides either way as I haven't researched it myself. I do I know I was told by a dentist that adults in SA had the worst teeth because we grew up without fluoride in the water. I have had lots of cavities and had great dental care as a child. My husband has crooked teeth but has had very few cavities. He's from here but his mom gave him fluoride as a child- no braces but plenty of fluoride...

Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolonyokte View Post
i guess fluoridated water works wonders what i do not understand is why dentist visits have increased so much especially for the school age children not to mention what good contributions to all that have to take medications daily-- meds have increased somewhat too.
Look at what kids drink now besides water...soda, energy drinks, kool-aid, garorade. All these things are just loaded with sugars and are completely acidic. Soda used to be a once a week treat for kids and now they drink multiple a day.

Coffee used to be consumed black...now basically milkshakes are considered coffee. Dental visits for kids have gone up today because of what kids consume other than water.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I did not know that. so I stand corrected.
I am always thinking that there is corruption in everything. even in SAWS. I did not know it was voted by the people. I just wonder what types of commercials were passed on TV showing people with bright white teeth, and a dentist saying " get your fluoride and get your stains removed" and people believed it.
I am being silly. I am sure no commercial passed, and I am sure the voters have no idea what they voted on. either way, I do stand corrected in thinking that anyone was going to make money off fluoride.
Don't you find it funny that the people which fluoride costs the most money...dentists (by taking money out of their pockets) are the biggest proponents of fluoride?

It's because its the right thing to do for the population. Regardless of whether or not my chair is empty, I would much rater prevent tooth decay than treat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio