Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM

12 posts, read 15,257 times

Advertisements

I am an 80's era child born and raised here in San Antonio. Never had cavities. My 4 year old son however has pits in his molars from excessive fluoridation, reported by his dentist, and therefore these pits allowed bacteria to settle in and produce cavities! Six molar crowns needed to repair the condition. My son only drinks water, tap water that is, and no sodas or juices. Fluorosis is the condition here which is supposed to be purely cosmetic. Well this cosmetic condition lead to my sons molar cavities. Go figure!

I believe San Antonio Water has natural fluoride so why add more. I used to love tap water as a child and now the water taste horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I think our once great tasting water now tastes like what you'd expect from a latrine. Fluoride is abundantly available in many forms for those who wish to supplement natural sources. How? Run an issue past morons enough and eventually they'll accept it. Now we're stuck with nasty tasting water or buying bottled crap from God knows where.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM

126 posts, read 249,766 times
The point of water fluoridation is to target populations who don't have the access to care that more wealthy residents have. Water fluoridation is an absolute slam dunk from a scientific perspective in regards to prevention of dental decay. Its probably one of the most effective social health programs that man kind has ever endeavored. That claim is backed up by the CDC. There has never been any conclusive scientific data that shows that anyone can actually taste a difference in water with sodium fluoride and without. Plenty of studies have been done on this and the results are always no different than random chance in identifying fluoridated water by taste.

The fluoride in San Antonio's municipal water system is not enough to cause fluorosis by itself. And even if it were, teeth with fluorosis are generally EXTREMELY resistant to decay. The patients I see with fluorosis in my practice have ugly teeth. Ugly teeth with no cavities or fillings. Its an extreme trade off, but generally it makes fluorosis sufferers have a very low caries risk. What your son has is most like hypomaturized teeth which has nothing to do with fluoride and actually is linked to high acidic environments intraorally during tooth development.

For all the fluoride haters...watch this short 3 minute video. Everything here has legitimate science from academic institutions with randomized controlled trials to back it up. No pseudo-science sources. Just honest to god scientific fact about fluoride.

inFact: All About Fluoridation - YouTube

Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
There are endless videos and "facts" out there for both sides of this issue. Matters not as it's still available to all, even those with no income through various programs. No need to put it in something as basic and essential for life as our water supply!

Old 11-11-2013, 03:06 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Someone makes money out of putting it in the water. It is always about money. Not about health.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 PM

12 posts, read 15,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Someone makes money out of putting it in the water. It is always about money. Not about health.
So we need to figure out which council member was lobbied for by the company who fills the fluoride tanks. I have some time to research into this starting with City Council Ed Garza. See where the $$$ flows.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 AM

336 posts, read 484,102 times
This argument again? It's like watching badly educated ping-pong.

Coming from fluoridated water growing up and not having had one cavity in my life, I owe a lot of that to as much. It works. Studies prove that. End of story.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2sa View Post
So we need to figure out which council member was lobbied for by the company who fills the fluoride tanks. I have some time to research into this starting with City Council Ed Garza. See where the $$$ flows.
This is beyond the little council members. they cannot do anything about it. it is like school lunches, it is not about health, it Is about who got the contract. and I assure you that those that got the large federal contracts have some good friends in political arenas. same with anything else.
I don't know much about fluoride, only what I read on the back of my toothpaste. and it says if I swallow more than what is used to brush is swallowed, call poison control or get medical attention". but they expect people to drink the stuff.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
I can't believe this still comes up as an issue when so much scientific evidence supports it along with the testimonials of dentists on what they see in their practices. I've had fluoridated water since a young child growing up in Austin and now in my 50s I have had a grand total of one cavity. Dentists comment on the health of my teeth for my age. Fluoridation isn't some subversive Dr. Strangelove communist plot to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I don't know much about fluoride
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio