Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Thanks for advice I may look into this as option after Christmas break. I may also look into homeschool if I can get some sort of help with speech from district. I homeschool my daughter for two years in her early school years.
Texas also has online public school...basically you are teaching your child at home but they have a teacher they communicate with on the computer and the school provides the curriculum. My children are both attending online public school, but it doesn't start until 3rd grade, so it wouldn't be an option for your son at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
I don't know if it's an option for you but I know SACS has a half day kinder option. Obviously that would cost you a lot of tuition but maybe there are some less expensive private schools that have that option as well. I had a hard time sending my kids off for all day and I loved their teacher (so much I requested the same one for the youngest). It definitely seems we are headed toward longer school days for all kids.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
There are private schools with the option for half day kinder. Sounds like the school or at least the teacher isn't working for you, so even half day at that school, if they had it, may not be good for your kid.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:27 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,766 times
The school is ok. I think I thought it would be better but even the school is having difficulties. Both kinder teachers are new and were told when hired the school may be shutting down. Even my daughter's teacher is preparing them to apply at other charter/magnet schools as it may not be around for when she will start middle school.

But for right now I would like it if my son went to half day kinder. His teacher said the district's don't even give option for that. I think homeschool may be best option. This last week the teacher has been nicer but I have seen this before than it changes quick. I did confront her about my feelings of her not having connection with him and she seemed sad and said she likes all her students same but it is just a feeling I have that bothers me.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
I don't know if it's an option for you but I know SACS has a half day kinder option. Obviously that would cost you a lot of tuition but maybe there are some less expensive private schools that have that option as well. I had a hard time sending my kids off for all day and I loved their teacher (so much I requested the same one for the youngest). It definitely seems we are headed toward longer school days for all kids.
Thanks, is this private? I will look into it.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:16 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
Yes it's private, Christian and expensive. It's near my house and someone told me about half day kinder when my son was younger. We have great schools by my house so we're enjoying not having to deal with that type of expense. I've never looked into options because of that but there are probably others out there with that option.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Thanks . Yeah me too I would look at any option before going private. I have a feeling the local school here may be best as my neighbors all say good things about it and seem to really like it. Is just hard as I would have my kids in different schools and the current one being a good 30 minute drive.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
When I enrolled my son in school this year for kindergarten, I did not know it would be full day until school was actually starting.
It is your responsibility to make sure your child receives a good education, everything else is immaterial. If you don't want him to be influenced by that teacher (and he will be if you leave him in her class), then you have 3 options:
1. you can ask that the school transfer him to another teacher's classroom
2. you can withdraw him from that school and enroll him elsewhere
3. you can homeschool him.

Since both kindergarten teachers are new, that should tell you something about that school, and about the likelihood of #1 resulting in an education that you believe is satisfactory for your child.

As far as the "he likes his peers and is very social," that can be accommodated by scheduling playdates with those childrens' parents outside of school hours - regardless of what school he goes to.

And I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I have to ask:
When you enrolled your son at that school, why wasn't the first question out of your mouth "What time do classes start and end?"?

Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Kindergarten is not required in Texas. Keep him home if you want.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
I am upset because my son's school is not all day for kinder. My daughter's school was all day and it worked out great. Of course, we liked the teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio