Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times

Advertisements

I want to be clear that I am not posting about any specific individual member on city data with this post, I am only making general statements about a personality type and observing that some people posting in this thread could potentially fit that profile. I am not naming names and I am not pointing fingers, just making an observation. If you feel like I am talking to you (or about you) specifically, well that is your own conscience talking, not me. It is in no way, shape or form a personal attack since I am not identifying any specific individual.

This thread is a perfect example of why I don't trust anyone on any police force and I don't hold police officers in very high regard. First, the job of a police officer is to protect and serve, not to intimidate and accuse. I am seeing over and over in this thread people that I assume are police officers because they are, not only in this thread but in just about every other thread as well, very confrontational and (in their own minds) always above reproach. They are quick to dismiss any statement or opinion that doesn't match their own.

I have witnessed these same personality traits in routine traffic stops as well as unwelcome social interactions with police officers. They just seem to lack the ability to get along with others and then get all bent out of shape when people say they don't trust the police.

Police departments, in general, seem to attract a certain kind of personality to their police forces. Maybe they test for it for all I know but what I do know is, when a group of individuals take delight in 'always being right' and band together to protect one another even when they know they are in the wrong, you can certainly bet on the general public pointing out every time that group is caught being wrong. In that way, the police, very much by their own attitudes and demeanor, bring on all the criticism they get.

For any police officer out there reading this, let me clue you in on how you can earn the respect and good nature from your fellow citizens... lose the damn attitude. Show a little respect and you will get a little respect. For those of you that are police officers and about to respond to this post harshly and say 'you always show respect to everyone you come in contact with', I can only respond to that by saying I sincerely doubt it. You are probably right now about to go into the litany of reasons why you always start out being respectful but have to change your demeanor to match 'the perp's' attitude. OR you are about to tell everyone else reading this thread what an idiot I am and how I have no clue what I am talking about, except that I do, officer, I do.

The fact of the matter is, you can't even be civil to others on a message board. You likely don't have many friends outside your social circle at work or the social circle of your spouse (save us the stories about how you have thousands of great friends). You probably don't. You most likely have been 'blessed' with an abrasive personality that you are never going to be able to shed. You will go through your entire life always being right, in your own mind, and push normal people away from you with your desire to always get the last word or always speak the loudest in a debate.

There are a lot of people like you in the world so you're not alone. In fact, you will likely run into a lot of these people that share these traits with you at work this week.

I have never in my life called the police for help and based on where I am in life, I can't see a time where I would ever need to. I seriously doubt if I ever were in need that I could count on the police to be of much help.

Police departments and police officers are reaping what they sow, you don't have to like it and you don't have agree with it (in fact, I am pretty sure you won't) but it is reality. You are the ones in the position to change it but I would be lying if I said I was optimistic that you will.

So we will all just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
......As the city of San Antonio (well, the decent citizens anyway) are praying fervently for a young officer who is in ICU fighting for his life. Wow. Go tell his wife what a Jerk he is. I'm sure you'll be glad to get that off your chest once more. And no I am not a cop.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM

243 posts, read 333,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I want to be clear that I am not posting about any specific individual member on city data with this post, I am only making general statements about a personality type and observing that some people posting in this thread could potentially fit that profile. I am not naming names and I am not pointing fingers, just making an observation. If you feel like I am talking to you (or about you) specifically, well that is your own conscience talking, not me. It is in no way, shape or form a personal attack since I am not identifying any specific individual.

This thread is a perfect example of why I don't trust anyone on any police force and I don't hold police officers in very high regard. First, the job of a police officer is to protect and serve, not to intimidate and accuse. I am seeing over and over in this thread people that I assume are police officers because they are, not only in this thread but in just about every other thread as well, very confrontational and (in their own minds) always above reproach. They are quick to dismiss any statement or opinion that doesn't match their own.

I have witnessed these same personality traits in routine traffic stops as well as unwelcome social interactions with police officers. They just seem to lack the ability to get along with others and then get all bent out of shape when people say they don't trust the police.

Police departments, in general, seem to attract a certain kind of personality to their police forces. Maybe they test for it for all I know but what I do know is, when a group of individuals take delight in 'always being right' and band together to protect one another even when they know they are in the wrong, you can certainly bet on the general public pointing out every time that group is caught being wrong. In that way, the police, very much by their own attitudes and demeanor, bring on all the criticism they get.

For any police officer out there reading this, let me clue you in on how you can earn the respect and good nature from your fellow citizens... lose the damn attitude. Show a little respect and you will get a little respect. For those of you that are police officers and about to respond to this post harshly and say 'you always show respect to everyone you come in contact with', I can only respond to that by saying I sincerely doubt it. You are probably right now about to go into the litany of reasons why you always start out being respectful but have to change your demeanor to match 'the perp's' attitude. OR you are about to tell everyone else reading this thread what an idiot I am and how I have no clue what I am talking about, except that I do, officer, I do.

The fact of the matter is, you can't even be civil to others on a message board. You likely don't have many friends outside your social circle at work or the social circle of your spouse (save us the stories about how you have thousands of great friends). You probably don't. You most likely have been 'blessed' with an abrasive personality that you are never going to be able to shed. You will go through your entire life always being right, in your own mind, and push normal people away from you with your desire to always get the last word or always speak the loudest in a debate.

There are a lot of people like you in the world so you're not alone. In fact, you will likely run into a lot of these people that share these traits with you at work this week.

I have never in my life called the police for help and based on where I am in life, I can't see a time where I would ever need to. I seriously doubt if I ever were in need that I could count on the police to be of much help.

Police departments and police officers are reaping what they sow, you don't have to like it and you don't have agree with it (in fact, I am pretty sure you won't) but it is reality. You are the ones in the position to change it but I would be lying if I said I was optimistic that you will.

So we will all just have to agree to disagree on this one.
You might want to look at your own attitude also. By your rant here you give yourself away as someone who just hates authority figures no matter who they are. You convict a cop for having a bad attitude before even talking to him or her. Not trying to be harsh in my assessment of your rant, but I don't think I have read anything on this forum as self absorbed and biased as what you just wrote and as far as it being reality I sincerely think you left reality behind years ago, but your are entitled to your opinion even one as twisted as this. I really hope you never do need a cop or ever get pulled over for any reason because you sound like the kind of person who would jump out of their vehicle and attack them while in your delusions of self righteousness since the cop is always wrong in your opinion.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
You might want to look at your own attitude also. By your rant here you give yourself away as someone who just hates authority figures no matter who they are. You convict a cop for having a bad attitude before even talking to him or her. Not trying to be harsh in my assessment of your rant, but I don't think I have read anything on this forum as self absorbed and biased as what you just wrote and as far as it being reality I sincerely think you left reality behind years ago, but your are entitled to your opinion even one as twisted as this. I really hope you never do need a cop or ever get pulled over for any reason because you sound like the kind of person who would jump out of their vehicle and attack them while in your delusions of self righteousness since the cop is always wrong in your opinion.
I thought he made some pretty good points. In fact, I agree with most of his post. Unfortunately, no matter how much sense it makes....it won't change the mind of any rude cop that comes across it and reads it. Just my opinion.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I thought he made some pretty good points. In fact, I agree with most of his post. Unfortunately, no matter how much sense it makes....it won't change the mind of any rude cop that comes across it and reads it. Just my opinion.
How about changing the minds of some rude and obnoxious civilians? His comment about a cop reaping what they sow applies to civilians also wouldn't you agree? The best part is how he proclaims he knows the truth, but he says he has never called a cop or ever will, so has he had any personal interaction with the police? If he has not had any first hand knowledge that would put his facts in serious doubt. I however have been pulled over and given a traffic ticket many times in my life and have been arrested twice and I have never except one time ever experienced any of the so call attitude he comments about. Maybe the difference is I was mature enough to admit my mistakes and was not going to take it out on the cops having to deal with me at the time, they were just doing their job. You reap what you sow remember.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:23 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
How about changing the minds of some rude and obnoxious civilians?
Cops are civilians, too. Not an occupying army.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Cops are civilians, too. Not an occupying army.
I sorry but you are wrong about that. Cops are cops 24/7 just as a soldier is a soldier 24/7. When they put on the badge they are no longer considered a civilian and are bound by the law to enforce the law. Where is the occupying army you speak of? Maybe you speak of that show of force on the TV news you see once in a while where civilians chose to exercise their right to freedom of assembly and speech by destroying property or worst and those jack booted thugs dare to put a stop to it. Is that the army you speak of? Or maybe it's the ones who defend themselves when attacked or maybe it's the worst of the worst those that defend or help you when you are in danger. Is that the army you speak of? Please enlighten me on where this occupying army is I would really like to witness it first hand.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:54 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
I sorry but you are wrong about that. Cops are cops 24/7 just as a soldier is a soldier 24/7.
The real meaning of the word civilian is non-military. Police in the US are a civilian law enforcement organization, as opposed to other countries where police are a branch of the military.

I'm aware that cops and others use the term as jargon. But it's an abuse of language.

And I think it's unhealthy for our society for police to think of themselves as soldiers. It tends to increase the chasm between police and non-police.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default BSpray,

A conveniently confused post, do not lose sight of this; that it is a cops job is to arrest people, lawbreakers.
Of course there is a brotherhood among police. There always is among those whom risk their lives daily.
There must be. They are bretheren in this aspect of their lives. Soldiers are the same way, they will risk
their own lives and each others to uphold the law for ordinary citizens like you, or for a cause or political
objective for this country and- for each other. There must be mutual respect, can't you see this?
Police delight in always being right. They do not have to be right or even wrong , it is their job to arrest, no more. The courts decide if they were right. They must make a call on a moments notice and only surmise
to the best of their ability if they have confronted a criminal , or not, on any given day. All of this
at their own personal risk. They can lose their lives and their families on any given day and at any time.
Armed robberies, domestic violence, knifefights, bar brawls, murders,rapes, beatings, or a lost child.
Officers must remain detached and objective. You are being respected and are priveleged every single day
of your life and remain uninformed of this fact. You are not even required to have knowledge of this,
just by being a citizen.

You... need the police daily, don't you know that? This fact of everyday life is completely lost to you. Without them, anarchy would reign supreme. Ever seen a riot? Mayhem? They maintain order.
Ingratitude is your shortcoming. You live in a protected world, a wealthy nation where you have the right to express an opinion , right or wrong, wise or foolish, you are privelged and unappreciative.I do not agree to disagree on this. You are extremely unenlightened on this aspect of civilized life, because you live here,
in these United States...

These folk risk their lives daily, every single day- merely in handing out speeding tickets. To come to the call of anyone in distress requires a degree of selfessness that is lost on citizens like you. Firemen , the same way. To rush headlong into a burning home to rescue a fellow citizen takes a seriousness of dedication that most persons lack.
With such attributes of character, such strength of character, they deserve the highest regard from the citizenry. It is all of our common cause, to see crime suppressed, no matter how hell bent perpetrators
are in their intent to gain something from nothing, for free and without effort. Embezzlers or bank robbers,
home thieves, and auto thieves all are the same, to gain something without work. Dishonest.
Your ridiculousness reigns supreme here in this thread. You , in this ridiculousness are attempting to
psychoanalyze on an individual basis , all police officers from behind a computer screen. What absurd claims.
If you risk your life daily for other human beings, for the common good, only then, can you compare yourself to them in matters of mutual respect. They have earned it from me , do you?
Without this virtue, your post rings emptily and just hangs in the air like a false fire alarm, here at citydataforum,
San Antonio.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
The real meaning of the word civilian is non-military. Police in the US are a civilian law enforcement organization, as opposed to other countries where police are a branch of the military.

I'm aware that cops and others use the term as jargon. But it's an abuse of language.

And I think it's unhealthy for our society for police to think of themselves as soldiers. It tends to increase the chasm between police and non-police.
I have never heard or been aware of any officer thinking of themselves as a soldier. Have you personally heard or read anywhere about any officers having referred to themselves as soldiers? If you have fine your observation would be justified but if you have not then what you have said is just your own opinion of them and not necessarily a true portrayal of how they see themselves. Do some use the term civilian when talking about normal everyday citizens sure they have just as we civilians have referred to ourselves in such terms so I don't see how that in itself would mean they view themselves as a soldiers of some army. As far as the word used as jargon I agree with you on that, but lets face it words are misused all of the time and have had their definitions changed over time because of it. So I wouldn't read too much into the use of a word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio