Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,722,896 times

Advertisements

I thought in Texas, many times matters are settled already by the time the cops arrive with a gun. This is a shoot first, ask questions later kind of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:51 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,431,601 times
I want to be clear, I'm being sarcastic. I like and respect the Police and Sheriffs. The closest thing to a bad experience I've ever had with one was when I was pulled over for speeding and the officer had my speed at 10 MPH over what I was going. I insisted for 5 minutes that he must have clocked another car (one passed me shortly before I saw him) and eventually I guess he believed me and let me go.
I hope my experiences, should I ever need them continue to be positive and I hope the same for everyone else.

I'm just disappointed that someone would essentially say "you don't like us, don't use us" when in this situation there's no competition we can go to.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,722,896 times
"you don't like us, don't use us" is very common term for people to use when they know there is no other alternative. Maybe that is why some police officers have the attitude they do.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:39 PM

243 posts, read 332,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
"you don't like us, don't use us" is very common term for people to use when they know there is no other alternative. Maybe that is why some police officers have the attitude they do.
I believe some officers have the attitudes they do because of having to deal daily with the attitudes of some of the public, just as some on this thread are showing. After reading all of this thread I'm really surprised someone hasn't said the best line of all "Don't you know I pay your salary" knowing full well that the officer pays taxes also. Maybe if you show respect to others then more often than not you will receive it in return. At least that's the way it has worked out for me in most cases. Like Texas said there are bad apples in every type of profession out there. I do believe some on here just have a serious problem with authority and they just hate all cops good or bad. As for the criminal who raped the 19 year old he is nothing more than a rapist who used his badge to get what he wants. When you see in the news where a teacher has molested children in a school do you see most teachers as bad also. Remember one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:21 PM

208 posts, read 380,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Texas Cop: You say that to the general public but would you tell that 19 year old girl who was raped that she needs to call the cops if she is in trouble? What about her family, friends, and people close to her that are also affected by what that one policeman did? He is not worthy of wearing the badge because of people like him, the public has high distrust of police. It really doesn't take many "bad apples" to make the whole department look bad.
MattTX...my comment was this....And for those of you who don't trust us badge wearers....not the general public. And of course I would never tell anyone to not call the police when they feel the need and in no way am I suggesting that they should handle things themselves. Its very aggravating to read the comments from some who say one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. I've known officers who gave their lives protecting people who do nothing but complain about police being this and being that. If they truly feel that way, they should get off their a**es and take their trustworthiness thru the academy and work to change the attitudes of the other folks who think we are untrustworthy. If not, be thankful we live in a society that allows them to bad mouth people when they really have no idea about how things are.

Also, I've arrested many people from many different fields that have done the same thing and much worse. Does that mean that all folks who work in the those career fields are criminals? How about your employment field? Know of anyone who has committed a crime? If so, then that means your just as bad as they were...right? Of course not. Feel how you feel. It's your right but don't condemn us all for the actions of just a fraction of us.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:00 PM

336 posts, read 482,428 times
Cops are there to enforce law, not necessarily to help those in need or are, at the heart of the issue, right. That's what endless lawsuits are for...

Keep that in mind and you'll always be okay. Mom's logic

Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,070,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
ILike Texas said there are bad apples in every type of profession out there.
When the profession includes the power to inflict lethal force, the standards need to be very high.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
When the profession includes the power to inflict lethal force, the standards need to be very high.
For the kind of income your average cop takes home what are expecting as far as your standards go? I would say that most leave the academy having very high standards, but after a few years of all the abuse from the criminals and worst from the public in general and not to mention having every single decision they make being second guessed by that very same public, then I would guess a lot of frustration begins to set in and with that their standards fall just like anyone's would. Anyone who has a concealed gun permit these days has the power to inflict lethal force that's no distinction. You cannot even begin to imagine the kind of environment they have to work in everyday. They are always just one mistake away from going to prison or getting killed at worst for making a mistake or being fired then sued by some poor mother who thinks her good little boy or girl is always innocent. Maybe if you and some others on here would work with them for a few night and see their world you would change your mind then.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:04 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,852,301 times
I can't trust all the good SAPD officers to file a report on the few bad ones who would beat on unarmed teenagers.

It is doubtful that without video evidence the few police brutality cases pursued would ever be. Which cop would stand up to others for roughing someone up when there is no video evidence? When there is no evidence except that of the suspect's word which won't likely be taken over than of an officer's. Having one cop file a report on another in such an instance would mean risking the livelihood of a team member and that might seem more important than some poor sap being injured.

In some manner the code of silence makes good and bad officers equal without having a need to differentiate between the two.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I can't trust all the good SAPD officers to file a report on the few bad ones who would beat on unarmed teenagers.

It is doubtful that without video evidence the few police brutality cases pursued would ever be. Which cop would stand up to others for roughing someone up when there is no video evidence? When there is no evidence except that of the suspect's word which won't likely be taken over than of an officer's. Having one cop file a report on another in such an instance would mean risking the livelihood of a team member and that might seem more important than some poor sap being injured.

In some manner the code of silence makes good and bad officers equal without having a need to differentiate between the two.
What would you consider police brutality? Would it be when a person resist arrest and is trying to hit the cop and the cops fights back to protect themselves, is that brutality? Is it when a person is resisting arrest and the cop pushes them into the ground to gain control over them, is that brutality in your view? Just remember if you would go and ask anyone in jail if they are guilty I'm sure you will always get the same answer NO and most would try and claim police brutality. Does brutality ever occur, sure it does. Cops are human they make mistakes their frustration catches up with them and they over react just like we all do. Do they protect their own? I'm sure they do. How many workers at your place of employment go to the boss every time they see someone do something illegal or against the rules. I would guess none, but you would expect a cop to take the high road and become a snitch which would destroy any trust their fellow officers have for them. That is just not reality and never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio