Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:51 AM

135 posts, read 191,537 times

Advertisements

With recent events have any of you lost trust and security with SAPD? People getting shot, young women being raped???
SAPD has been caught making up their own laws, trumping up bogus charges, and the people of San Antonio just take it. When being pulled over what precautions do you take for your safety? When I do get pulled over I always find a spot with people where I'm not alone, can always depend on my nosey citizens! Lol and I always have Audio and visual (phone or go pro) cop unaware, SAPD hates to be recorded!

Be safe my fellow citizens

This post is not to bash SAPD as some of guys in blue are good but let's not be naive some bad apples can damage our lives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I trust SAPD more than the BCSO.

I always record when we are pulled over also though, no matter who is pulling us over.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I have to say though, the Chief seemed really shocked and upset about the young woman being raped, at least in the interview that I saw on channel 5. The fact that he took it so seriously is encouraging, it really seems like he wants his offcers to be better than that. If the incident had involved a sheriff's deputy, you know BCSO would have just announced that they were investigating the alleged assault, and never mentioned it again unless some news station went after them really aggressively about it.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:24 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Unequivocably trust SAPD,

In comparison to some larger cities' police departments, S.A. cops are extrordinarily honest.
A few incidents does not corruption make. Mere anomalies. You should hear some stories out of the Detroit P.D.
Amazing corruption occurs there. Two instances come to mind.
A huge amount of Cocaine stolen from an evidence room in 1997.
Another Cop arrested while smuggling an auto trunk full of cocaine into the state from Toledo ,Ohio. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Unmarked weapons. You've no idea. Naivete.
There can be some corruption in any Govt. entity of course and individual incompetence. I have lived in two large cities . In comparison S.A.P.D. is as pure as the driven snow.

Trust? When I was a little kid, hunting with a B.B.gun was great fun in the woods around Brooks Field
on ths cities' south side. Little brother and I found a stolen white Chevy 1964 Impala, a beautiful car out in the middle of the woods. Quite surprised, we went home and called S.A.P.D. I was maybe 11 y.o. in
1964.When they showed up we were waiting for them in the midst of the mesquite trees and cactus there on the southside. Proud of our discovery we stood there, just kids, and watched this police action.
One of them asked to see my weapon and shockingly to me shot the headlights of the Chevy with my
Red Rider gun. I was shocked. We were witnessing juvenile delinquency by a cop.
This behavior does not make the S.A.P.D. unworthy of trust. It kind of freaked us out however, I was stunned actually, as an eleven year old kid to see this happen. Who would have thunk?
The cop smiling, handed me back my air rifle. I still trusted them and still do. I am however wary of any
unknowns' , individual honesty but taken as a whole our police force is worthy of our trust.
Nothing would surprise me at this stage of my life. Expect the unexpected.
The Bandera County Sheriff's dept. showed a whopping amount of incompetence a few years back.
What with the workers shooting of each other inside of their new jailhouse, some very small time corruption and the eventual resignation of the chief, they became a laughingstock. Their most recent shennanigan was the putting in custody of a young woman over some trivial traffic stop charges(don't remember them now) and a burnt out taillight bulb and then leaving her baby in the automobile on the side of a highway , unattended in a carseat in the middle of the backwoods of Bandera County in the middle of the night. The child was eventuall retrieved by the grandmother from the automobile, I believe a short time later. There were one other alleged incident I cannot recall right now involving Bandera's finest. Might I trust them? Probably not. Hopefully things have changed out in "them thar hillls".
Where was the common sense when they picked up this woman and left the child in the middle of the night , and alone in the dark ?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:42 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I trust SAPD more than the BCSO.
This...

Funny thing is that this isnt the first time this has happened in SAPD. There was an officer - and its been over 20 years so his name escapes me - who patrolled around Culebra/Potranco/151 who was fired and I think ultimately arrested for sexual assault. Always remember that guy because he was one of those peace officers who thought the badge made him high and mighty. Everyone hated the guy.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
I did see that thing about the 19 year old girl being raped by a SAPD cop in the back seat after being pulled over. Are we citizens allowed to record what is going on when being pulled over by a cop? The report said there was supposed to be on board recording devices but I guess not. I thought every patrol car was supposed to have one. Then again I actually trust SAPD more than I trust NEISD. I do feel the chief really wants to correct this situation.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Are we citizens allowed to record what is going on when being pulled over by a cop? The report said there was supposed to be on board recording devices but I guess not.
Not sure about state of Texas, or Bexar County laws, but in most states it's a felony to make an audio recording of someone without their permission.
Now, would the cop agree to being recorded is another question...
Videotaping with "mute" is probably legal.

Oh, I found the code:

Texas Penal code
Sec. 21.15. IMPROPER PHOTOGRAPHY OR VISUAL RECORDING.
(a) In this section, "promote" has the meaning assigned by Section 43.21.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) photographs or by videotape or other electronic means records, broadcasts, or transmits a visual image of another at a location that is not a bathroom or private dressing room:
(A) without the other person's consent; and
(B) with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person;
(2) photographs or by videotape or other electronic means records, broadcasts, or transmits a visual image of another at a location that is a bathroom or private dressing room: (A) without the other person's consent; and
(B) with intent to: (i) invade the privacy of the other person; or
(ii) arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person; or
(3) knowing the character and content of the photograph, recording, broadcast, or transmission, promotes a photograph, recording, broadcast, or transmission described by Subdivision (1) or (2).
(c) An offense under this section is a state jail felony.
(d) If conduct that constitutes an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under any other law, the actor may be prosecuted under this section or the other law.
(e) For purposes of Subsection (b)(2), a sign or signs posted indicating that the person is being photographed or that a visual image of the person is being recorded, broadcast, or transmitted is not sufficient to establish the person's consent under that subdivision.

Below are the relevant sections for audio recording.

Sec. 16.02. UNLAWFUL INTERCEPTION, USE, OR DISCLOSURE OF WIRE, ORAL, OR ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS

(b) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or procures another person to intercept or endeavor to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication
(4) a person not acting under color of law intercepts a wire, oral, or electronic communication, if:
(A) the person is a party to the communication; or
(B) one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception, unless the communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing an unlawful act;

If you are audio or video recording a conversation you are not a party to you could be arrested. If you are a party to the conversation, you may record it even without informing the other party(s). This differs state to state but Texas allows it.

Last edited by elnina; 11-25-2013 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: more info added

Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
And would the cop in this report have consented to being recorded? No. Because the girl asked for a female officer to do the patdown, but he decided to not to get a female office, he went to grope and rape her. I think we as citizens need to ask the chief of police to make sure all patrol cars have on boarding recording devices.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Obviously not all SAPD vehicles are outfitted with cameras. Maybe this incident will lead to some changes.

McManus said SAPD vehicles are outfitted with cameras that require a hard drive to function. Neal's patrol car did not have a hard drive at the time of the alleged assault. McManus said Neal would have been aware that the system was not functioning.
Had it been working properly, the surveillance equipment would have recorded activity in the front and rear of the patrol car.

SAPD officer accused of rape - San Antonio Express-News

Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 AM

135 posts, read 191,537 times
Me personally I can't trust these guys but only because of situations that happened to me. Do I think all of them are bad? No way I've come across some that really want to do a good honest job. It's just best to keep the law out of your life as much as you can. Good or bad

Now every vehicle is supposed to be equipped with audio and video, however the chief said his was not working that day! But the gps was so they were able to verify with the time stamps to the witnesses testimony.

When you are out in the streets it's open public property their is no right to privacy, this is how the gov is allowed to watch you so you can use their own laws against them. It is the law of the land. No matter what any cop says you have every right to record whatever you want. When I'm recording it's incognito cops are known to erase your content...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio