Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 PM

424 posts, read 609,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I meant it was the closest to an Austin vibe as the poster below pointed out, it is by far the most "artsy" area in San Antonio.
It's not by far the most artsy area of San Antonio. The burgeoning Beacon Hill arts district could give Southtown a run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 01:16 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
The burgeoning Beacon Hill arts district could give Southtown a run.
This is true... unfortunately there are a few (emphasis on "few") people over there ruining it for other artists. The whole manufactured controversy over "gentrification" in the area is actually very sad.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:55 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
It's not by far the most artsy area of San Antonio. The burgeoning Beacon Hill arts district could give Southtown a run.
Beacon Hill and Southtown are about the same level to me in terms of being "artsy".

Old 09-23-2014, 04:18 PM

1,032 posts, read 875,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
This is true... unfortunately there are a few (emphasis on "few") people over there ruining it for other artists. The whole manufactured controversy over "gentrification" in the area is actually very sad.
It's just another form of working class 'us vs them' mentality. As it's an election year, you're seeing local politicians give it undeserved light. Like gas, I'll sit and wait for it to pass- It's all just talking point for them and progress will eventually take hold whether the city likes it or not.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:

re: Beacon Hill vs Southtown, I'd say the Southtown that was 10 years ago was edgy, quirky, artsy. It's still artsy, but the people who live here are different from those of 10 years ago. Today, the funky, edgy, artsy areas tend to be the near north neighborhoods, IMO. (Tobin Hill, Beacon Hill, Alta Vista) Southtown is still full of galleries and supporters of art, but it's not quite as edgy.

All that said, I appreciate the basis of the comparison to Austin, and it's probably as close as you'd get, but it's very very different from Austin.

As for gentrification, I'd say it's not so manufactured. I think the northern areas haven't been hit as hard as Southtown (exception being the place on French). In Southtown, property values are now insanely high, there's a definite culture of fear re: crime (which, IMO, is based more on perception than reality - we've had our share of property crime, but the paranoia is extreme), and it's next to impossible for the old timers to still live here. I'm glad the area has improved so much, and for a long time, Lavaca at least was doing so with the intention to maintain the diversity, but not so anymore. Even our property taxes have spiraled so out of control we can barely keep up.

I appreciate that Diego Bernal is taking this issue on. It's not an easy issue to balance.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 AM

78 posts, read 92,382 times
This is all great info and I really appreciate it. My husband and I liked Southtown a lot when we visited last month but felt it was a little too cool for us (and I mean that as a compliment, as we are both dorks ) and also was a little more than we wanted to spend. Really looking forward to trying some of the restaurants around there though, especially the Friendly Spot. That place looks awesome.

Looks like we will probably try northwest of downtown. Thanks for all the neighborhood ideas!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinita View Post
This is all great info and I really appreciate it. My husband and I liked Southtown a lot when we visited last month but felt it was a little too cool for us (and I mean that as a compliment, as we are both dorks ) and also was a little more than we wanted to spend. Really looking forward to trying some of the restaurants around there though, especially the Friendly Spot. That place looks awesome.
!

Glad you enjoyed it, but this made me laugh. There are three Southtowns, I think:

1. Hipster hangout that's über cool with 20-somethings (I don't really see it but so many people claim it exists)

2. Mostly educated, professional middle-aged parents with loads of small precocious kids (1/2 of whom bought here before it became cool and are not really affluent but comfortable). In this group are also middle-aged professionals without kids. Lots of artists included in this mix.

3. Low income families of all ages - old timers whose families have been here 100 years and those who are a legacy of the Victoria Courts era, who are either living in their inherited home that's in run down condition or who are renting from a slum lord.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

As for gentrification, I'd say it's not so manufactured. I think the northern areas haven't been hit as hard as Southtown (exception being the place on French). In Southtown, property values are now insanely high, there's a definite culture of fear re: crime (which, IMO, is based more on perception than reality - we've had our share of property crime, but the paranoia is extreme), and it's next to impossible for the old timers to still live here. I'm glad the area has improved so much, and for a long time, Lavaca at least was doing so with the intention to maintain the diversity, but not so anymore. Even our property taxes have spiraled so out of control we can barely keep up.
(I know this gets the thread a bit off topic)

Chaka, I agree that Southtown has encountered gentrification, even though Mayor Taylor has said it's not the definition of gentrification as seen in other cities.

I've always respected your views, so I'd like to know if you had any additional insight/ views regarding the place on French. My info only comes from driving past the area quite often and from friends who either live in Beacon Hill (who, to be frank, aren't super involved in the politics of the area) or attended the (just recently closed) Presbyterian church in the area.

I completely agree that it is a difficult balance. Some in my neighborhood seemed to almost rejoice in the downturn of 2008 because it forced prices back to a point where NEIGHBORS (diverse in age and career, active in meeting people) could move in vs. residents who stayed to themselves... except for complaining about the existing business at the end of the street. I could kind of see their point... but it is a shame that renewed affordability only came about because of a recession.

Last edited by Montirob; 09-24-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
(I know this gets the thread a bit off topic)

Chaka, I agree that Southtown has encountered gentrification, even though Mayor Taylor has said it's not the definition of gentrification as seen in other cities.

I've always respected your views, so I'd like to know if you had any additional insight/ views regarding the place on French. My info only comes from driving past the area quite often and from friends who either live in Beacon Hill (who, to be frank, aren't super involved in the politics of the area) or attended the (just recently closed) Presbyterian church in the area.

I completely agree that it is a difficult balance. Some in my neighborhood seemed to almost rejoice in the downturn of 2008 because it forced prices back to a point where NEIGHBORS (diverse in age and career, active in meeting people) could move in vs. residents who stayed to themselves... except for complaining about the existing business at the end of the street. I could kind of see their point... but it is a shame that renewed affordability only came about because of a recession.
I don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion. Most people I know support the shop that was there, but most I know are relative newcomers (in the past 10 years), educated, professionals (not affluent necessarily, but not below the poverty level either).

I had not heard Mayor Taylor say that. While she is well educated in urban design and perhaps that may technically be accurate, any neighborhood which develops such that long time residents can no longer afford to live there, or eat there, or use any of the resources in the neighborhood (even the restaurants are too high for us more than 1-2x/year), that's gentrification. Lavaca tried to avoid it somewhat - and there are some tax breaks for long time residents, but those in the middle - those who bought when prices were low because it's what they could afford, who fixed up their place but whose salaries did not quadruple while their property values did, they're screwed. At least a couple of times per year there's a house in Lavaca on the market for over $500K. This, in a neighborhood where even 5 years ago you could still find something under $100K, and 10 years ago under $50k (needing work, but still...). I'm not sure what other definition of gentrification you can have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio