Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,308,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Things that smell:

1. Texas Rangers being called in so quickly.

2. Bexar County DA involved so quickly.

Today, I drove northbound on Broadway past Incarnate Word. It was in daylight, with a dry road and I had a difficult time finding the lanes. I would have been accused of driving erratically just trying to find a lane to stay in. I do not believe on a wet, dark night I would have done any better.

Question-

Why did the officer not wait for the Alamo Heights police to arrive at the scene while STAYING in his car? What was his rush? It was not as if he were pursuing a murder suspect.

I know that I would be very leery of any car with flashing lights other than an Alamo Heights Police car on that stretch of road.
I drive that stretch of Broadway and have never had had an issue with the lanes not being visible.

This is a very interesting point.

I think they are always called in right away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,523,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I drive that stretch of Broadway and have never had had an issue with the lanes not being visible.
Recently?

I drive it nearly every day (well, between M-F), and am a frequent pedestrian along that stretch. The lanes change daily due to the construction, and even in perfect daylight it can be hard to know where to go. As a pedestrian, I see many other cars having trouble navigating it (the stretch from Allensworth to about where CM is). It can be really unclear where you're supposed to go when the lane is in a different location from day-to-day. The other day when it was foggy and raining, it was extremely difficult to tell.

That said, my first assumption, given the time of night and age of the victim, and knowing finals had just ended, was that he'd been drinking - it's a reasonable assumption. But I found it odd that initially, none of the reports mentioned the possibility of alcohol being a factor. Now, a few days later, a friend says they'd been out drinking, but usually reports will mention it immediately as a possibility. By the time they'd stopped, though, he was off the road.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Recently?

I drive it nearly every day (well, between M-F), and am a frequent pedestrian along that stretch. The lanes change daily due to the construction, and even in perfect daylight it can be hard to know where to go. As a pedestrian, I see many other cars having trouble navigating it (the stretch from Allensworth to about where CM is). It can be really unclear where you're supposed to go when the lane is in a different location from day-to-day. The other day when it was foggy and raining, it was extremely difficult to tell.

That said, my first assumption, given the time of night and age of the victim, and knowing finals had just ended, was that he'd been drinking - it's a reasonable assumption. But I found it odd that initially, none of the reports mentioned the possibility of alcohol being a factor. Now, a few days later, a friend says they'd been out drinking, but usually reports will mention it immediately as a possibility. By the time they'd stopped, though, he was off the road.
Everyday on my way to work.

I guess I'm talking about everything north of Hildebrand just past Chase through Alamo Heights.

If the kid was drunk that would be the wrong road to travel on for sure.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,493,049 times
Quote:
Sorry, but how does one go from being pulled over for a "perceived" traffic stop to your reasoning that he was in flight from a crime?

Is there ANY evidence to corroborate this?
You didnt read what I wrote very well.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,493,049 times
Quote:
Things that smell:

1. Texas Rangers being called in so quickly.

2. Bexar County DA involved so quickly.

Today, I drove northbound on Broadway past Incarnate Word. It was in daylight, with a dry road and I had a difficult time finding the lanes. I would have been accused of driving erratically just trying to find a lane to stay in. I do not believe on a wet, dark night I would have done any better.

Question-

Why did the officer not wait for the Alamo Heights police to arrive at the scene while STAYING in his car? What was his rush? It was not as if he were pursuing a murder suspect.

I know that I would be very leery of any car with flashing lights other than an Alamo Heights Police car on that stretch of road.
If you are going to lose a suspect, most of the time (and this is one of those times) you act. It is that simple, that is what cops do. It also doesnt matter if he was driving erratically for a legitimate reason or not. That is also what cops do, they investigate. They dont have to be right. You get pulled over for it and a conversation happens (not a fight) "I couldnt see the road change and when it did I drove into the wrong lane....."

As for pulling over for "any other car but...." That is fairly often a bogus argument. At night, you cant see the markings of any car that is behind you. You wouldnt know unless you saw them in front of you before they pulled you over. There are also many other agencies that will make stops there on a regular basis, such as Sheriffs, Constables, DPS and any other State Agency.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:27 PM

4,054 posts, read 5,619,935 times
I wasn't there and I would never try to pass judgement on the officer based on what little is known now. I believe that the majority of LEO's are out there trying to keep us all safe, often risking their own lives doing so. So when something like this happens, I just think we owe it to them to not leap to conclusions.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:56 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,996,990 times
Quote:
Sorry, but how does one go from being pulled over for a "perceived" traffic stop to your reasoning that he was in flight from a crime?

Is there ANY evidence to corroborate this?
It was just an example, that's all. Let's all cool it just a bit.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 AM

413 posts, read 739,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Random stuff defending this cop...
You seem to be a level-headed guy, yet all I and others on here see is a cop blindly defending one of his own. Is this really the guy you want to defend?

The cop in this case:
-bounced around 8 different agencies.
-morbidly obese. Don't you guys have physicals? He looks to be about 100-150lbs overweight.
-No working camera.
-No tazer.
-No pepper spray.
-Reports wrong location, therefore no backup.

I hope he is charged with murder, and I hope you stop defending criminals like this cop who really make you look bad.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,523,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Everyday on my way to work.

I guess I'm talking about everything north of Hildebrand just past Chase through Alamo Heights.

If the kid was drunk that would be the wrong road to travel on for sure.
Lanes switched again today. It helps to have other cars to follow and someone directing traffic because it was a mess. From Chase and heading north, it's open. Just south of there it's a confusion.

I don't know where the cop first saw the victim. The release from the university didn't say other than "in front of the university", but as UIW owns a number of properties south of Hildebrand, it would make sense that a UIW cop was patrolling that area (Basically from the uni entrance on Broadway south until almost the Witte) and may have seen the driver there, where the street is a mess.

(btw - as I've said before it's reasonable to assume he was drunk, given the circumstances, so I'm not arguing that. But it's also a challenge to navigate those cones in the best of circumstances)

Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
You seem to be a level-headed guy, yet all I and others on here see is a cop blindly defending one of his own. Is this really the guy you want to defend?

The cop in this case:
-bounced around 8 different agencies.
-morbidly obese. Don't you guys have physicals? He looks to be about 100-150lbs overweight.
-No working camera.
-No tazer.
-No pepper spray.
-Reports wrong location, therefore no backup.

I hope he is charged with murder, and I hope you stop defending criminals like this cop who really make you look bad.
That's not stellar...

Does that even matter?

The jury is still out on this one. Alamo Heights said they saw video???

This is UIW PD department wide policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio