Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 07:43 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,334,512 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm doing the Houston to San Antonio trip on Megabus... my first time using that bus or coming to SA!
Looking forward to it, as old friends just moved there and I haven't seen them in years.

The pickup/dropoff site for Megabus only says "South corner of 4th Street and Broadway St"....

Can someone tell me WHAT that is?? Empty parking lot? Mall? Hotel? Someone who used to live in SA says Broadway is a main drag and the site is probably safe but I'd like to know more if someone who works around there or perhaps has taken the bus can tell me??

One of the two Houston sites is a huge mall and I checked that out already... just wondering what the deal is at the other end!

Oh... and the friends haven't made it to the River Walk yet (I've never been to SA, remember) and I'd like to encourage a visit for us all... is there a "River Walk 101" for a short visit to see the Christmas lights? e.g. Where's best place to park, start walking/looking, maybe get on the boat, etc.? REALLY appreciate it! We would not be staying at a hotel on the River Walk as I'm visiting their new home in Alamo Ranch... I'm guessing that could be a 45-minute drive on a Friday night? Again, advice appreciated!

"Ri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 08:56 PM

336 posts, read 482,371 times
It's a parking lot with a small, temporary looking covered MegaBus tent.

Directly across the sidestreet from Herwick's Art Supply

Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,527,409 times
To get on the boat, there is a ticket window in the "horseshoe" shaped part that flows into/out of Rivercenter Mall. You can park in the Rivercenter garage for quickest access. You can also access the Riverwalk from the South Bank (there is a parking lot right near the Hard Rock Cafe. You can also park in the College St Garage (city owned) and walk about 2 blocks over.

Be prepared for longer than usual waits, especially on weekend nights

Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
It's a parking lot with a small, temporary looking covered MegaBus tent.

Directly across the sidestreet from Herwick's Art Supply
A-ha! I figured it might be a parking lot.... Thanks much for the nearby business name too!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
To get on the boat, there is a ticket window in the "horseshoe" shaped part that flows into/out of Rivercenter Mall. You can park in the Rivercenter garage for quickest access. You can also access the Riverwalk from the South Bank (there is a parking lot right near the Hard Rock Cafe. You can also park in the College St Garage (city owned) and walk about 2 blocks over.

Thanks! What is "longer than usual"..... 30 mins? An hour? How long (and how $ much?) is the boat ride itself? Do you come back to the same point you got on?

Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2013, 01:27 PM

905 posts, read 1,623,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post

Try this best kept secret; go to the Pearl and take a river taxi from there into downtown and back to view the Christmas lights. The cost is $15.00 round trip and well worth every penny, plus you don't have to mess with downtown traffic. I did this last year and it was an amazing ride and the river lock is nicely decorated with lights.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Try this best kept secret; go to the Pearl and take a river taxi from there into downtown and back to view the Christmas lights. The cost is $15.00 round trip and well worth every penny, plus you don't have to mess with downtown traffic. I did this last year and it was an amazing ride and the river lock is nicely decorated with lights.

HI,

A belated followup here... when you say "river taxi" that is different than the actual river walk cruisers? Are they at a "taxi stand" waiting to be hired?
I looked at a map and the Pearl Brewery (finally figured out what you were referring to) seems pretty
high "up" the river... but the taxi will go down to the River Walk part with all the lights? I have a sense
that I will need to be the "director" of this if it's going to happen, so I want to have all my ducks properly lined up . Thanks for the help!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:41 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,610,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
HI,

A belated followup here... when you say "river taxi" that is different than the actual river walk cruisers? Are they at a "taxi stand" waiting to be hired?
I looked at a map and the Pearl Brewery (finally figured out what you were referring to) seems pretty
high "up" the river... but the taxi will go down to the River Walk part with all the lights? I have a sense
that I will need to be the "director" of this if it's going to happen, so I want to have all my ducks properly lined up . Thanks for the help!
The river taxis are slightly different. It is the same type of barge but there are stops every so often that you wait at for them to pick you up. They have set rates from what I understand, though as the other poster mentioned, $15. The River taxis go down to the Pearl. There is a flight of stairs that will take you right up to the area. It's probably about a 3 1/2 mile ride from the Pearl to the touristy part of the river. The river taxis run throughout the night. I have seen them as late as 8 in the evening. To get to the river from the Pearl you will need to walk to La Gloria. There is a flight of stairs and a small amphitheater that will lead you to the last of the taxi stops. They will then lead you down the river from there. The Pearl is the north end of the river.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,957,820 times
The Pearl is exactly 2 miles along the Riverwalk to Houston street.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,610,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
The Pearl is exactly 2 miles along the Riverwalk to Houston street.
All I remember is that from my office at McCullough to the Pearl is 1. Don't ask me for any more information than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio