Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Just wait until you get on the roads here in San Antonio, you will see how incredibly unfriendly drivers here are. As for diversity, everyone has different definitions of diversity, if diversity means a lot of Hispanics and some Caucasians to you, then it's "diverse" here to you. Also I am concerned about the OP wondering if this city has close knit communities, you know what, in large cities that isn't possible to achieve.
So if it is a lot of Caucasions and some Hispanics to you, then it is diverse? Using the link the L210 used, I don't see where you are getting that Minneapolis is any more diverse?

Minneapolis (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 12:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Also I am concerned about the OP wondering if this city has close knit communities, you know what, in large cities that isn't possible to achieve.
Your experience may simply be a reflection of your own perspective on this. A city like Chicago, quite large, is full of close knit communities. My neighborhood in San Antonio is very close knit, very much an extended family atmosphere (without all the crazy blood relations - holidays together, weekend trips together, a gazillion parties and community events, as well as people looking out for each other's kids (even by those who don't have kids), honorary aunts/uncles/grandparents, the works. One can avoid that if one chooses, but it's also there if one wants to make it happen.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:09 PM

As for diversity, depends on your perspective. It's not as diverse as DC or NYC. The Asian and African-American population is small. It is majority Hispanic. But there is indeed a mix of folks - some areas are more diverse than others, and not just racial/ethnic diversity. You won't hear 5 languages on every corner, although in my neighborhood you'll hear 2-3 on any given day, but there's a great mix. People are indeed friendly, particularly so for a big city.

it's important to consider where in the city you are though. Some areas are not diverse, some areas are not any different from anywhere else in the US. Some are. Spend some time here before you decide where you want to live and which environment appeals to you most. The Med Center is fairly centrally located, so pretty much anywhere in town will work, although the med center itself tends to much diversity.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:36 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
So if it is a lot of Caucasions and some Hispanics to you, then it is diverse? Using the link the L210 used, I don't see where you are getting that Minneapolis is any more diverse?

Minneapolis (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
It depends on if you want to compare the metro areas or the cities. If you're comparing the cities, then the difference is between the second and third largest ethnic groups in each city. San Antonio's second and third largest groups are white and black. The population difference between those two groups is nearly 20 percentage points. The second and third largest groups in Minneapolis are black and Hispanic. The difference between those two groups is only 8 percentage points. Minneapolis also has a higher proportion of Asians (over 3 percentage points), and the percentage of whites is slightly lower than the percentage of Hispanics in San Antonio. So, if you're comparing the minority groups (as in those who don't make up the majority in those individual cities) in each city (not metro area), then Minneapolis definitely has more of a balance.

I don't know the breakdown of Minneapolis' Hispanic population, but San Antonio's Hispanic population is not diverse at all. San Antonio's metro area is more diverse than Minneapolis' metro area.

Last edited by L210; 12-25-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 02:22 PM

San Antonio also has one of the biggest refugee populations in the state (FWIW, Mpls also has a large population of refugees). So there are many many Burmans, Karen, Chin, and groups from North Africa here.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
San Antonio has always had immigrants. Since it's inception it has been considered diverse.

Quote:
Fray Antonio Olivares disdainfully described the seventy-two people who founded San Antonio de Bexar in 1718 as "mulattoes, lobos, coyotes, and mestizos...Sixty-three years later another priest, Fray Agustin Morfi, described San Antonio's town council as "a ragged band of men of all colors."

In Search of the Racial Frontier: African Americans in the West, 1528-1990

Even in the early part of the last century we have had diversity...

Quote:
However, research in East Side communities revealed "heterogeneous mixture of ethnic groups" (Mock, p. 88) in some neighborhoods. Also, "social boundaries based on ethnicity existed, but African Americans and other recently arrived ethnic groups such as Germans, and Poles, lived side by side in this rather heterogeneous enclave (Ibid.)

As whites moved out toward the northeast...

The Brackenridge Colored School, San Antonio, Texas, 1899-1936

Growing up in Highland Park and Hills there were always different groups of people and as some moved away others have moved in to fill the vacuum. This is without even considering when Brooks AFB was still open and brought tons of different ethnic groups to my elementary and middle schools.

Now, while many groups have assimilated to become just regular Americans their home cooking is bound to be different than yours.

The Hispanic population here has always been diverse as noted in the very first quote above. To outsiders the Tejanos, Mexican immigrants from years before, and now new money Mexicans moving in in droves might all appear the same but they are not the same peoples at all. There are deep divisions. This too of course without considering the many Central Americans who have began moving into San Antonio.

We also have many in town with more rural sensibilities and some with more urban. There is economic diversity as well.

Of course in time people have ignored this diversity outside of festivals and special societies. The traits they retain of their ancestor's cultures are not on public display all the time. Many will consider San Antonio simply a biracial city and while that might be a fair call it is a very generalized view that ignores the many, many groups (Six Flags, hello?) who have come to Texas and more specifically San Antonio.

There is religious diversity here as well.

Last edited by Merovee; 12-25-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 06:09 PM

I've read figures that said that anywhere from 75% to 84% of Hispanics in San Antonio are native born. The number of immigrants coming to San Antonio has dropped substantially in recent years.
S.A. sees fewer foreign migrants - San Antonio Express-News

This piece is on how economically segregated San Antonio is. It's one of the worst in the country.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...er-3755547.php

According to this, 63% of the religiously-affiliated people in Bexar County are Catholic.
//www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-TX.html

Old 12-26-2013, 05:23 AM

16 posts, read 18,196 times
I wouldn't use city data for reference as a lot of their stuff is very old.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 9,714 times
Agreed... I grew up on eastside and southside... You husband will be just find maby until they find out he got a blk wife no bs....

It is not diverse at all. and those numbers posted are some what correct, add about 20% increase to the Hispanic population which wld include illegal Mexicans 10% increase at least. good you work from home because your job opportunity will depend on a Mexican to hire you which they wld rather hired an illegal mexican and take the chances of being fined than hire a blk. dnt let the largest mlk march fool you, most by non blk ppl trying to prove they are not racist but really are.

I am a blk man 28 2ten all my life if I ddnt marry a Mexican woman I wld prob be just another blk thug roaming the streets robbing just to grind for the money. That is because I have not had a job in 4 years, we both used to look for work at the same places and she wld get all the call backs even though I had more experience than her. I have encouraged her to keep her Mexican last name because of this which has really paid off for our family's financial purposes as she is the bread winner, not that I dnt get money because I do but not from no job, or ssi..im a hustla, with a degree and cnt get a job. I would pursue a bachlor's degree but whats the use if I cnt get a job with an AAS just debt that I can pay but dnt want to.. I take penitentiary chances everyday. Her money pays the bills my money provides us with what ever we want that's needed extra:school clothes and shoes for our kids or us, car payment money, car insurance, entertainment, you no *** off money. And no I have not been to prison or got caught up yet. But education to find a job is the reason im trying to stop so I never will. But education seems to be useless to me nothing but a piece of paper. I blame Obama his priorities are messed up and though we put him in office twice he ****s on us everyday he dnt address and put forth a plan for us.

MF never loved US: Worse Behavior
"Drake"

Old 12-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Are you typing on a cell phone or a computer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio