Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
city cops refer to them as 'city cop rejects', much like balcones heights PD and leon valley pd. you may think they do, but they really dont serve much of a role and are not a deterrent.
Those departments have in part different functions and scope. While the roles might not be the same they do perform necessary functions.

I can only imagine the stretch of Bandera crossing through Leon Valley as being more dangerous without their vigilance. In such a small town what else can or should be expected?

The Park Police always make me feel safe. In my estimation that is a valuable service which SAPD could not replicate.

Quote:
the park police where i live do nothing but bust the same people every day.
So is the preference here that they should ignore those offenders? What else should they focus on instead?

The criticism being offered could be unwarranted because if they did not "bust the same people every day" then there certainly would be cause for complaint.

Quote:
not only that, but this might be in just my area, but the park cops could be outran by a fat guy like myself no problem. what im saying is, the park cops here are REALLY out of shape and if push came to shove, my fat self could easily outrun them.

police departments, no matter how big or small, REALLY need to crack down on weight/fitness issues. i know you have to be in-shape when you join, idk why they let you get all fat and bloated once you're hired...
That is a wider cultural issue and a more specific public health issue that affects more than the police. Even if law enforcement agencies were to crack down on weight we would soon be lacking officers. That is why fitness requirements have fallen because society is no longer producing enough healthy and interested individuals.

Overall this specific incident is beyond sizeism. It is also has nothing to do with running away from the police. Nor should the focus be on memorializing those who attack police officers over not wanting to go to jail for drinking and driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times
Quote:
city cops refer to them as 'city cop rejects', much like balcones heights PD and leon valley pd. you may think they do, but they really dont serve much of a role and are not a deterrent. the park police where i live do nothing but bust the same people every day.
It's naïve people like you who feed into the stigma that Park Police are not real Officers...

According to you, the Park Officers don't serve much of a role to the city and are not a deterrent...

Hmmmm...

So, I guess when my husband stopped that lady on the River Walk from being raped by 2 men, he wasn't really serving a role in her safety... OR when he arrested the escaped sex offender who happened to have a 14 year old boy with him, no that wasn't an important role at all in that boys safety... WAIT! What about the role he apparently did not play when he arrested countless men over a 2 year period who were in our public parks, around our children, who were there for sexual activity, men who were in the act, offering the act, committing acts around kids, but yeah, I guess those arrests didn't really serve the public either... OR WAIT!!! What about the robberies in progress that he stopped on the River Walk OR the woman who was getting beaten by her husband in a hotel room downtown, yeah, I guess those were pretty insignificant as well... I KNOW, I KNOW! What about the mental health person who he talked out of committing suicide, you see my husband is also a certified mental health Officer, and that night, he saved a woman's life, a woman who, before she left to the hospital, thanked my husband for understanding her and for talking her out of her situation, THAT FOR SURE was not any kind of an important role at all...

I could go on and on but frankly, I have wasted too much of my time on you already... You see, I don't need to THINK that my husband and his brothers and sisters in blue play a role in public safety, I KNOW they play a role in public safety... Just because they have the word PARK on their Police patch does not make them any less of a Police Officer...

Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 PM

243 posts, read 333,723 times
Just a quick FYI for those of you who still run in the parks after curfew.

San Antonio Park Police remind patrons: Caught after dark in the park, you will get a ticket | kens5.com San Antonio

Old 01-29-2014, 09:52 AM

952 posts, read 2,634,254 times
Good!

"Use common sense, stay out of parks when its dark," said Nogle.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
News released from the SAPD...

Quote:
Chief Manus went on record to announce that the claims of an attack on a woman in a city park in past weeks turned out to be false. Detectives thoroughly investigated the allegations and the complainant admitted to having made up the attack. The allegations centered around a supposed attacker with a neck tattoo and ski mask allegedly attacking the complainant in a city park. Chief wants to make it clear that our city parks are safe, but that all of us should still exercise due caution when anywhere in public.
Cheers! M2

Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
My very first response when this was posted on Facebook was "He didn't cover up the neck tattoo?" This sounded fake from the get-go. Way to go, girl. Way to make it easier for the next victim to be believed. Idiot.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
This case of Lauren has really bothered me/touched me, and I don't know her or the family. I do know they are a very Christian family, however. My dear friend attended her funeral, and brought home the "program". Lauren was a beautiful young woman inside and out. She had a blog, and she made an entry in it in November titled "Success", which was made part of her service. OMG, to me it is almost like she was preparing for her future (but NOT the way it happened). She did not attend my church, but her name was included in the congregate prayers and the silent prayers of those in attendance the last two weeks. I was so happy to hear her name included, I asked the speaker how did she happen to be included in the congregate prayers and was told several of my church members knew her family members. Her blog post is awesome. If anyone can post the link to her blog, or the blog article itself, please do. I am not online often yet so it may be awhile before I get back on here.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
SAPD: Woman faked park sex assault claim | News - Home

They really need to fine and/or lock up this idiot. So wrong on so many levels. Wasting the police departments time and resources, and shaking up the city even further. Appears she was trying to get an innocent man into trouble because of a relationship gone sour. Just have to get revenge somehow. Disgraceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio