Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM

501 posts, read 776,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Two posts from two newbies discussing increased police presence. Well, maybe stories like this bring new members to post that might not have before. I dunno...

In any case, I have never seen park police or SAPD at OP Schnabel Park, or any of the trailheads. Not to say they aren't there, just not when I've been. I'm at one of those trailheads two times a week, usually in the mornings, so maybe that's why I don't? And definitely have never seen an ATV...that would be a welcome sight for sure.
As a frequent greenway trails biker over the past couple years, can attest to having seen park police (bike and ATV mounted) at all the trails except the Medina river (which is also the most isolated one). Do I see them on every ride? Obviously not, 10-25% of the time is more like it, though there was a much more visible presence (including the only time I have seen an SAPD bike officer) this past weekend on the McAllister-Tobin segment of the Salado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Went for a walk at the park around 2:30 today. Counted four Park Police and five San Antonio Police vehicles....all parked along the road that goes to the right at the stop sign. Not sure what they were doing, didn't see any police walking around. They may have been back in the area where Lauren was killed....I didn't go back there. Nice little memorial at the entrance to the trails....many people have written their condolences and farewells on a poster board there, including myself. Such a somber feeling while walking there.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Went for a walk at the park around 2:30 today. Counted four Park Police and five San Antonio Police vehicles....all parked along the road that goes to the right at the stop sign. Not sure what they were doing, didn't see any police walking around. They may have been back in the area where Lauren was killed....I didn't go back there. Nice little memorial at the entrance to the trails....many people have written their condolences and farewells on a poster board there, including myself. Such a somber feeling while walking there.
I would fully expect an increased presence after something like this. I wonder what it will be like in 6 months. We need to keep updates here.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I would fully expect an increased presence after something like this. I wonder what it will be like in 6 months. We need to keep updates here.
It won't be the same in 6 months. Fortunately, as terrible as this incident was, it is not that common. Therefore, over the long run, the cost/benefit of maintaining a police presence that could prevent such an incident from happening in the future, is not practical.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,360 times
I'm telling you...something was going down prior to this crime. I have spent almost 30 years In the Military and been around a lot of stuff...there was an increase in patrols and in the manner in which they were being done in the weeks prior to this incident. mrstxcop's comment stating that the public may never know the whole truth, coupled with what I saw as heightened cop presence, leads me to believe that there may have been some ongoing concerns at this park. I have been going to this park for 15+ yrs and saw more police in the first few weeks of December 2014 than in the previous 15...just too coincidental?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM

501 posts, read 776,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA-Dad View Post
I'm telling you...something was going down prior to this crime. I have spent almost 30 years In the Military and been around a lot of stuff...there was an increase in patrols and in the manner in which they were being done in the weeks prior to this incident. mrstxcop's comment stating that the public may never know the whole truth, coupled with what I saw as heightened cop presence, leads me to believe that there may have been some ongoing concerns at this park. I have been going to this park for 15+ yrs and saw more police in the first few weeks of December 2014 than in the previous 15...just too coincidental?
I would venture to guess that the police presence you mentioned in your earlier post: "In fact, I even saw them on the ATV driving up and knocking on windows of cars that were pulled in the small individual picnic areas located to the right as you drive up to the T. I thought how weird." was related to interdicting illicit, but probably consensual, sexual activity rather than anything more nefarious. The few times we've ridden up on the bluff at Schnabel, it's fairly obvious that certain gentlemen have sought out the park for that purpose.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
An update...this guy had quite a history!

Quote:
Christian Bautista, the man charged with the murder of Lauren Bump on New Year's Eve, has a long criminal history, including spending time in a Texas prison and federal custody for possibly entering the country illegally, according to new documents provided by the Bexar County Sheriff's Office.

Bautista's criminal history includes two arrests in Claremont, California, followed by an arrest in Travis County.

His criminal history in Bexar County includes eight different instances.

(Full Story)

Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
My favorite part about that article
Quote:
Illegal entry is a charge typically reserved for people who enter the United States Illegally.
I'm glad that was cleared up. I was worried.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Thought I read somewhere that he'd recently been released from prison (2 months ago) after serving a 6 year sentence for aggravated robbery. Beat someone with a crow bar.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

Okay...so WTH, exactly? Where is this guy from??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio