Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:39 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,723,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
a big box? that cool with me, we are not too good to be happy and appreciative to have a beautiful home inside. ever grow up dirt poor? i am happy with a lovely home, but would rather get more footage for price paid and quality than super large windows and 8 foot doors.

they do offer brick fronts and some do offer 2 sides, but who are we kidding...if i really cared about what others might think, i shouldnt be buying a home i should be looking for a homecoming date

here is a gallery, Fieldstone Homes - Homebuilder building affordable new homes in San Antonio, Cibolo and New Braunfels
How many kids do you have? Do you really need 3,600 square feet? You could get a smaller nicer house for about the same money and use less energy heating and cooling it while still meeting all your home needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM

504 posts, read 1,451,489 times
no kids, we dont want any. at this time i live in my "urban bungalo", 1200sqft for $55K. i will sell soon (10yrs) and we are looking at 1600-1900 single story home.

i do like the 3600 sqft because i am a techie and would like to have our master bedroom on the first floor and a home theatre as half of the upstairs along with a study for her and my own study/hobby room

Old 07-25-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
no kids, we dont want any. at this time i live in my "urban bungalo", 1200sqft for $55K. i will sell soon (10yrs) and we are looking at 1600-1900 single story home.
Make sure if you go with them that they aren't cutting corners on the foundation, framing and energy efficiency items like radiant barrier, high efficiency A/C system and low e double paned windows. If they are cutting corners on those items then you spend more in the long run.

I would recommend you only look for builders that are energy star certified.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM

OK - just checked their website...and see they are an energy star builder. But other builders like Pulte talk about energy efficiency but don't even offer items like radiant barrier as an option. Make sure you can get those kinds of items as part of the construction.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:03 PM

fieldstone is a greenlight on all of the above. my buddy had his house built by fieldstone and was there everysingle day checking progress. no corners were cut. i have a few other friends who are city/private firm inspectors and all have great things to say about the quality build of their homes.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:23 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,781,069 times
Much better builder than KB?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,485 times
My SO and I went to look at Fieldstone homes and they were nothing to brag about. Nothing at all original about them. I would much rather live in an older neighborhood. Now I have to convice him of that.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
KB offers better floor plan options and more attractive elevations. Plus KB has all brick communities...I know, I know not everyone prioritizes that, but to some it is important.

At similar price points they may be similar quality and design elements.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
build quality, yes...kb is the pits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Koolaid View Post
My SO and I went to look at Fieldstone homes and they were nothing to brag about. Nothing at all original about them. I would much rather live in an older neighborhood. Now I have to convice him of that.
good, thats exactly what i was preaching about fieldstone. nothing to look at, but a hell of a lot of footage. thank you for reinforcing my point there koolaid. i live in an older neighborhood now and i love it, but 10 years from now i see an upgrade coming.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
build quality, yes...kb is the pits
KB of the past maybe...but not their current product. Their current San Antonio president (new five years ago) has really changed the accepted quality in all communities. You can see the product of his effort in Fox Grove, Stage Run, Saddle Mountain, The Quarry at Iron Mountain, The Trails at Herff Ranch, The Woods of Alon and Cobblestone. All are vastly superior to anything offered by KB in the past 12 years.

Quote:
good, thats exactly what i was preaching about fieldstone. nothing to look at, but a hell of a lot of footage. thank you for reinforcing my point there koolaid. i live in an older neighborhood now and i love it, but 10 years from now i see an upgrade coming.
So you are seriously look at new construction today for something you are going to purchase in 10 years?! Builder quality can change depending on who manages the community and region as well as the overall housing market. Fieldstone may not be around 10 years from now or they could be in a different price market. 10 years is a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio