Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 PM

101 posts, read 170,460 times

Advertisements

I put an Antenna's Direct C2 ClearStream in my attic and get just about everything I need, except KSAT, channel 12. Before I start with amplifying something, I'd like to consult a professional about the need for it and also about grounding.

FWIW, I'm tired of Time Warner's constantly increasing cable bills and their most recent service downgrade - no movie ratings on the Channel Guide.

Can anyone recommend an antenna installer in or near San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boghaunter View Post
I put an Antenna's Direct C2 ClearStream in my attic and get just about everything I need, except KSAT, channel 12. Before I start with amplifying something, I'd like to consult a professional about the need for it and also about grounding.

FWIW, I'm tired of Time Warner's constantly increasing cable bills and their most recent service downgrade - no movie ratings on the Channel Guide.

Can anyone recommend an antenna installer in or near San Antonio?
Are you also having trouble with KLRN channel 9?

There is two versions of that ClearStream antenna one with VHF elements and one without. KSAT and KLRN are VHF. Everyone else is UHF.

This is the one with the VHF elements note the two rods sticking out each side at the top.

Antennas Direct | ClearStreamâ„¢ 2V Long Range UHF/VHF HDTV Antenna

Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Are you successfully getting KLRN 9-1 thru 9-4? Like KSAT, KLRN is a High-VHF band station, and both station's transmitters are SE of town near Elmendorf. So, if you are getting KLRN, it should only take some tweaking to get KSAT.

I don't know of anybody who specializes in TV antenna installations anymore. My parents used Hopp's TV to install a rooftop antenna & cabling many years ago, but they're gone. There was a place on Vance Jackson - Sight & Sound, that did TV antenna installs, but I think they closed up shop a couple of years ago. You might just have to call a few TV repair shops, and see if they do antenna installation, or maybe recommend someone who could.

I did my own TV antenna installation. It is a rooftop mounted antenna, the traditional kind with a bunch of VHF elements, and a UHF yagi. It would be a little large for most attic installations. My experience has been you will get much better results mounting an antenna outdoors above the roofline (but not necessarily on the roof). You can often disconnect the cable company's feed inside the distribution box onthe outside wall your house (not the pedestal or pole that might be in or outside your yard), and just connect the antenna to feed your existing TV outlets. I don't believe you need to ground an antenna mounted inside a structure (including an attic), but an outdoor antenna should be grounded.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:10 PM

No dipole on mine. Since it was a low channel (<13), I assumed I'd be able to pick it up with the UHF gear. I'll send it back to Amazon.

I still need an installer though. any ideas?

Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boghaunter View Post
No dipole on mine. Since it was a low channel (<13), I assumed I'd be able to pick it up with the UHF gear. I'll send it back to Amazon.

I still need an installer though. any ideas?
I did my own install.

It is the opposite RF channels less than 13 are VHF. The reason you get KENS and WOAI fine is that they are on RF channels 39 and 48 respectively. They broadcast a signal that tells your TV to display virtual channels 5 and 4 even though they are not broadcasting on those channels anymore.

KENS and WOAI moving RF channels with the HDTV transition is actually a good thing to get low VHF channels needs an even bigger VHF element.

I think than when KSAT and KLRN were broadcasting both analog and digital they had UHF channel allocations for digital HDTV, but when they turned off the analog signal, they moved their HDTV to their old analog RF VHF channels 9 and 12. KENS and WOAI stayed in the UHF band, and gave up their old analog channels.

You have to look up the actual RF channel they broadcast on to select the correct antenna, not the channel the TV says.

AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

Old 01-19-2014, 03:46 PM

I installed mine, too. With a dipole I should be okay for reception.

I'm concerned about grounding the antenna, though, and am not willing to do a "that looks close enough" job with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio