Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:52 PM

427 posts, read 1,169,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Helotes has always had a 45 MPH speed limit on 1560 starting at their city limits (just north of Braun)...

And with the speed limit so clearly posted, I don't see how it is a "trap!"
Yes it has ALWAYS been 45 and will now have to be reduced to 35 to catch speeders.

Road conditions are exactly the same in that area to those in the previously 55 mile per hour area. You may have a different definition of "speed trap" which is fine, but mine would be exactly how that road was set up in the past.

Last edited by AlamoCpl; 01-20-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:24 PM

5,502 posts, read 6,417,337 times
Quote:
It happened a week or so ago. Doesn't matter, people were driving 45 MPH on it despite the 55 MPH speed limit!

Maybe now it's 45 MPH they'll start driving 55 MPH like everywhere else in the city!

Props to MD Auto for posting the speed limit change on their sign. More people probably pay attention to it than the TXDOT signs along the roadway!
This is how I learned of the change! Thanks, Ron and staff!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,801 times
They changed the speed limit on culebra also, by taft from 50 to 45.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,884,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
Yes it has ALWAYS been 45 and will now have to be reduced to 35 to catch speeders.

Road conditions are exactly the same in that area to those in the previously 55 mile per hour area. You may have a different definition of "speed trap" which is fine, but mine would be exactly how that road was set up in the past.
Here we go again...

A change in the speed limit doesn't constitute a "trap," nor does Texas law require any signage that warns of an upcoming decrease. Your "warning" is the posted signage, easily visible from enough distance to decrease your speed before entering the reduced speed area. Maybe folks need to pay a little more attention to the signs and not their cell phones!

If you take a closer look, the reason the speed limit changes at the Helotes city limits is because there are several residential areas that run along that road whereas the other parts of 1560 before it were devoid of such neighborhoods until recently, which is why the that section of road has had its speed limit reduced.

Plus, where are you getting your information that the city of Helotes will be reducing the speed limit starting at their city limit? I've seen no word of it, and since the logic for the reduction along the other section was because of the increased traffic and intersections there is no reason why Helotes should lower it any further.

No, you're speculating because you feel it is a "trap;" but there is good reason as to why the speed limit lowers where it does and just because a few people don't agree with that doesn't mean it's an attempt to catch speeders. HPD doesn't even patrol that section of road too often, the sections of Leslie by O'Connor HS and Bandera Road are where most speeders are caught exceeding the limit on their own accord.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Here we go again...

A change in the speed limit doesn't constitute a "trap," nor does Texas law require any signage that warns of an upcoming decrease. Your "warning" is the posted signage, easily visible from enough distance to decrease your speed before entering the reduced speed area. Maybe folks need to pay a little more attention to the signs and not their cell phones!

If you take a closer look, the reason the speed limit changes at the Helotes city limits is because there are several residential areas that run along that road whereas the other parts of 1560 before it were devoid of such neighborhoods until recently, which is why the that section of road has had its speed limit reduced.

Plus, where are you getting your information that the city of Helotes will be reducing the speed limit starting at their city limit? I've seen no word of it, and since the logic for the reduction along the other section was because of the increased traffic and intersections there is no reason why Helotes should lower it any further.

No, you're speculating because you feel it is a "trap;" but there is good reason as to why the speed limit lowers where it does and just because a few people don't agree with that doesn't mean it's an attempt to catch speeders. HPD doesn't even patrol that section of road too often, the sections of Leslie by O'Connor HS and Bandera Road are where most speeders are caught exceeding the limit on their own accord.
Again you have a right to your opinion, however wrong it may be. Let's add a little here for effect.

And by recently, if you mean there have been residential neighborhoods on the other part of 1560 for over 3 years, yes I guess you can consider that to be recent?

A good reason not to add the "warning reduced speed ahead" would be? After all, road signs are generally there for public safety.

As the distinguished police officer from Michigan eloquently stated, abruptly reducing the speed on a roadway for no apparent reason and not having a reduced speed ahead sign, then giving out tickets is "chicken".

At least Helotes will be losing their revenue stream unless they reduce the speed down to 35 for no apparent reason.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,703,354 times
If anyone has driven highway 77 between Waco and Rockdale frequently as I used to years ago, they would know exactly what AlamoCpl is talking about.

There are a lot of small towns between where the speed limits drop down without any prior notice. There is one town (I can't remember the name of it anymore) where the reduced speed limit sign is actually around a corner and there was a cop that always hid there. He was keeping the town very safe from speeders by sitting there all day long writting tickets. Ok, that last part was scarcasm.

I haven't driven on highway 77 in about ten years now...so things may be different now.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,884,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
Again you have a right to your opinion, however wrong it may be. Let's add a little here for effect.

And by recently, if you mean there have been residential neighborhoods on the other part of 1560 for over 3 years, yes I guess you can consider that to be recent?

A good reason not to add the "warning reduced speed ahead" would be? After all, road signs are generally there for public safety.

As the distinguished police officer from Michigan eloquently stated, abruptly reducing the speed on a roadway for no apparent reason and not having a reduced speed ahead sign, then giving out tickets is "chicken".

At least Helotes will be losing their revenue stream unless they reduce the speed down to 35 for no apparent reason.
I'm wrong? I'm not the one getting speeding tickets!

Yeah, you have a right to your opinion as well; but there's no legal requirement to post a speed reduction warning sign despite as much as you like to think there is. How much warning do you need? Perhaps you should pay more attention while you drive, as it seems your inattentiveness is more of a danger to yourself and others than the lack of warning signs!

As for the one Michigan police officer's opinion, that does not make a trend, even you should be able to figure that out. And how do you know he's "distinguished?" Do you impose that distinction because he agrees with your opinion? Sorry, but that's one officer who obviously doesn't understand the law or his job in enforcing it; and all he is doing is providing fodder for idiots who can't accept responsibility for breaking the law. Maybe if those individuals grew up and acted like adults, our roads would be considerably safer but as long as they feel they have to right to drive however they like, all of our safeties are at risk. I for one applaud any police department that does the job we pay them to do and cite these idiots who feel they are above the law and can drive any way they want!

As a matter of fact, you've got no evidence whatsoever to accuse the Helotes Police Department of any wrongdoing. You're obviously the one who is guilty if you've been caught speeding. If the four-foot sign isn't enough warning for you that the speed limit reduces, then maybe you ought to spend less time on the computer as it apparently is ruining your vision!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM

349 posts, read 419,370 times
Actually the 'courteous' thing that should be done is to post the orange flags or some type of warning sign when you lower the speed limit.

Mostly because if you drive an area on a regular basis, you dont really pay attention to the speed limit signs as you generally are at least aware of them.

If things change, whatever authority changes them 'should' have a moral obligation to make the public aware of these changes. Not just change it and think people will pay attention, because those making the drive on a daily basis, simply wont notice it right away again due to the nature of them always driving that stretch and knowing what the norm has been.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I'm wrong? I'm not the one getting speeding tickets!

Yeah, you have a right to your opinion as well; but there's no legal requirement to post a speed reduction warning sign despite as much as you like to think there is. How much warning do you need? Perhaps you should pay more attention while you drive, as it seems your inattentiveness is more of a danger to yourself and others than the lack of warning signs!

As for the one Michigan police officer's opinion, that does not make a trend, even you should be able to figure that out. And how do you know he's "distinguished?" Do you impose that distinction because he agrees with your opinion? Sorry, but that's one officer who obviously doesn't understand the law or his job in enforcing it; and all he is doing is providing fodder for idiots who can't accept responsibility for breaking the law. Maybe if those individuals grew up and acted like adults, our roads would be considerably safer but as long as they feel they have to right to drive however they like, all of our safeties are at risk. I for one applaud any police department that does the job we pay them to do and cite these idiots who feel they are above the law and can drive any way they want!

As a matter of fact, you've got no evidence whatsoever to accuse the Helotes Police Department of any wrongdoing. You're obviously the one who is guilty if you've been caught speeding. If the four-foot sign isn't enough warning for you that the speed limit reduces, then maybe you ought to spend less time on the computer as it apparently is ruining your vision!
Wow you've assumed a lot there. First of all I actually haven't received a speeding ticket in over 32 years.

I asked for a good reason to not post a "reduced speed ahead warning sign" because of course it is a public safety issue. "Because they don't have to" is a reason yes, just not a good one.

I do understand that this isn't an issue for you, you obviously ride high up on your horse and not in a motor vehicle.

As far as the road having different speed requirements because it's just "recently" added residential neighborhoods, you must have not noticed the residents and driveways that dot the road from Culebra all the way to Bandera. Been driving that road for over 6 years and I do notice the driveways that spill out into that road. Maybe you were too busy speaking on your cellphone to notice?

It's a text book definition of a speed trap. The point is now moot because the entire road is a 45 mph zone now. Sorry to the Helotes PD for losing that revenue stream.

Acting like adults? The most entertaining quote of your post so far. Your combative and condescending tone while entertaining, is totally childish. You obviously don't fully read posts and fly off the handle making assumption after assumption.

Enjoyed it but over it now. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: