Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:03 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times

Advertisements

At Port San Antonio just southwest of Lindbergh Park are the old Kelly AFB officer's quarters. Creepy area with abandoned houses which from the outside seem maintained. There are no cars or people in those few blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 PM

36 posts, read 65,181 times
Tundra village is viewable from the road. Thanks for the trespassing law, we all needed to see that.....................

Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Here is an empty block in the back of an old subdivision. Is it Lakeside?

It is usually locked but the Google Maps car got into it one day.

Maybe the city was maintaining the road that day? An empty road which looks kind of creepy with stop and street signs but no life.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
San Antonio Current - Blogs

I love SA!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
At Port San Antonio just southwest of Lindbergh Park are the old Kelly AFB officer's quarters. Creepy area with abandoned houses which from the outside seem maintained. There are no cars or people in those few blocks.
I love the architecture there. It's really a shame they can't do something neat with it all.

Love these pics!

Kelly AFB, TX - a set on Flickr

Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM

501 posts, read 1,050,480 times
Being in the Guard I know there is some really cool stuff hidden in Camp Bullis, but of course they don't really say where those things are. Apparently there is a mock Vietnamese village that they used to train soldiers during the war, complete with a tunnel system.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
Being in the Guard I know there is some really cool stuff hidden in Camp Bullis, but of course they don't really say where those things are. Apparently there is a mock Vietnamese village that they used to train soldiers during the war, complete with a tunnel system.
I've heard of the Vietnamese village being set up at Bullis for medical training, John Manguso's book on Ft Sam Houston talks of it and here's a 1966 article from The Milwaukee Sentinel that describes it; but never tunnels. Considering how rocky the terrain is, that would be impressive! I'll ask the next time I'm out there...

By the way, Dave Berry (the author) went through training at Bullis during the Vietnam war and had this to say about the village and training...

Quote:
Those of us who were in medic training at Ft. Sam and on orders for Vietnam went to Camp Bullis for "special" training. They had a mock Vietnamese village ("mock" was the key word, as I found out once I saw the real thing) and samples of booby-traps, etc. They also had a mock ambush of our convoy. Somewhere along the route we were supposed to be fired upon, get off the trucks and charge the woodline, returning fire. We all had weapons with blank cartridges. One guy was a conscientious objector who shouldn't have even been given a weapon but since it was just for play had one. He accidentally discharged his weapon, upon which the convoy stopped and we obediently jumped off the trucks and charged the woodline firing like crazy and yelling like banshees. The problem was that nobody was there. About 10 minutes later they got us back on the trucks and we headed back down the road, where about 100 yards further the real ambush was set up and, out of ammunition, we were mock-slaughtered. Unfortunately, Vietnam didn't make a lot more sense than that.
Cheers! M2

Old 01-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Now that you say it, that makes since about the terrain. I stand corrected about the tunnels. There is also a middle eastern village at Camp Bullis that is used to train field medical personnel. They have a disabled Abrams tank in front of it with "preventative medicine" inscribed on the cannon.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:23 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
There's also a busted up UH-1 Huey medivac sitting out in the middle of nowhere, as well as several other Middle East "towns" throughout the range to include broken down vehicles and a village gate to mark the entrance of one location. There's a couple of bunkers as well! I've got most of it loaded into my GPS...

Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM

I'm not quite cavalier to go exploring around Camp Bullis, but it would be a blast. Do you know of anything thing else cool out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio