Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 12:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Carrefour for one. And, you are starting to see warehouse stores (Costco, for one) in Europe as well. So the retail landscape is changing there, just as it is changing here.
Warehouse stores like Costco are also not new to Europe. Metro for example operates cash and carry wholesale stores since the 60s. There are also some other cash and carry retail chains.

Quote:
While I love a store that offers me many items, I HATE running a marathon through it (HEB Plus). So I go a few miles farther to a smaller HEB, or go to Target or Trader Joe's instead. Our population density here is such that we are attracting many more options...I don't live in AR, but I can appreciate their frustration with Culebra Road.
Most of the time I prefer discount stores like Aldi or Lidl. In and out in just a few minutes. I don't like small conventional grocery stores. But I like larger supermarkets (Edeka or Rewe Center), they are mostly nicely decorated, but they have way too much selection. I shop there maybe once a week for just a few items, those I can't get at discount grocery stores. Maybe once a week I go to Kaufland. But they have also way too much selection. Those stores are unsuitable for the daily shopping trip. I hate Real, quite similar to Walmart, but the stores are about 1/3 smaller than Walmart Supercenters.

Quote:
...waiting for Wegman's...
Not sure whether I would like Wegmans. It seems similar to larger Edeka Centers with several gastronomy islands and show cooking. We have such an Edeka store here in Düsseldorf. I go there maybe once per month or biweekly, mostly to buy something fancy (that I have never tried before, but I can still afford) or to buy chicken leg quarters (Edeka has the best sales on these). I never feel comfortable in this store. It's too fancy. I always have the feeling that I have to dress up before I enter this store. I don't want to wear a suite just for grocery shopping. Fortunately across the street is an Aldi
Next year we will get a new Edeka grocery store, just in the city center. Allegedly it will have a sales area of about 12,000m². It will be the largest pure food store in Germany. Pretty sure that this store will also be very fancy (it will have the same owner like the other fancy store). Too fancy for me. But I will definitely visit the store occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 02:17 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
...waiting for Wegman's...
Doubt that we'll get a Wegman's here in the foreseeable future, if ever; unless they decide to go nationwide, sometime in the future.

Wegman's is a regional chain, with locations only in some mid-Atlantic and northeast states.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:50 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Doubt that we'll get a Wegman's here in the foreseeable future, if ever; unless they decide to go nationwide, sometime in the future.

Wegman's is a regional chain, with locations only in some mid-Atlantic and northeast states.
Oh, I know...but In n Out and Trader Joe's were also once regional...

Old 09-27-2016, 12:50 PM

169 posts, read 391,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
It's not like this all day, and there's a certain amount of embellishing going on here as well.

You're right...if I wait until after my daughter heads to bed at 10pm, I can sneak out and make the trip in about half the time.

Look, I moved here from the SF Bay Area so I really do appreciate the relative lack of traffic in San Antonio. The whole Culebra thing, however, is as bad as I've ever seen it anywhere on the West Coast...especially when they narrow it down to one lane for construction. I'm just saying it will be nice when I don't have to make that trip.

Frankly, I've been using the curbside pickup feature at the Bandera/1604 location for a few months now. It's on my way home from work. It's wonderful, and saves me from having to spend an hour or so of my time in the store. It also prevents those "impulse" purchases. Unfortunately it doesn't work if I need something last-minute. But even for those things, I find myself heading to Target or the Walmart Neighborhood Market just so I don't have to cross 1604.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The irony of all of this is no one seems to be concerned with all the traffic that the AR HEB will bring to the area. If it is as bad as they say, bringing in a new HEB isn't going to help.

I really can't see that being a long-term problem. Once the "new-ness" wears off, I can't see non-AR residents making the trek up the parkway when they could just use one of the many other HEBs that are right off the loop. We might get some traffic from Stillwater Ranch and other surrounding communities but I don't think it will be that bad. Certainly not as bad as Culebra.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:59 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
It's not like this all day, and there's a certain amount of embellishing going on here as well.
You are so wrong. This is exactly as described.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:53 AM

136 posts, read 225,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford72 View Post
I really can't see that being a long-term problem. Once the "new-ness" wears off, I can't see non-AR residents making the trek up the parkway when they could just use one of the many other HEBs that are right off the loop. We might get some traffic from Stillwater Ranch and other surrounding communities but I don't think it will be that bad. Certainly not as bad as Culebra.
Yea, it's not being built in the most accessible of locations, so I don't see people going out of their way to shop there. The traffic along Alamo Ranch Parkway is going to pick up no matter what come Christmas or around New Years when they open the 151 overpass, which I'm guessing is why they installed the traffic lights that aren't running yet. I don't think traffic will increase much more than it will at that time because of the HEB. If it does, it will only be temporary while the curiosity is sated.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:13 PM

160 posts, read 163,173 times
Not sure whether I would like Wegmans. It seems similar to larger Edeka Centers with several gastronomy islands and show cooking. We have such an Edeka store here in Düsseldorf. I go there maybe once per month or biweekly, mostly to buy something fancy (that I have never tried before, but I can still afford) or to buy chicken leg quarters (Edeka has the best sales on these). I never feel comfortable in this store. It's too fancy. I always have the feeling that I have to dress up before I enter this store. I don't want to wear a suite just for grocery shopping. Fortunately across the street is an Aldi
Next year we will get a new Edeka grocery store, just in the city center. Allegedly it will have a sales area of about 12,000m². It will be the largest pure food store in Germany. Pretty sure that this store will also be very fancy (it will have the same owner like the other fancy store). Too fancy for me. But I will definitely visit the store occasionally.[/quote]

I miss Edeka , Aldi etc

I wish Trader Jo will come over to this site

Old 10-04-2016, 04:59 PM

520 posts, read 781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
Next year we will get a new Edeka grocery store, just in the city center. Allegedly it will have a sales area of about 12,000m². It will be the largest pure food store in Germany. Pretty sure that this store will also be very fancy (it will have the same owner like the other fancy store). Too fancy for me. But I will definitely visit the store occasionally.
I miss Edeka , Aldi etc

I wish Trader Jo will come over to this site[/quote]

Not familiar with Edeka Centers but Wegman's, at least outside of their original area, are upscale. Personally I didn't shop there for everyday things but they can't be beat for specialty items. The bakery, cheese, and meat departments are phenomenal. When you go to the older original Upstate NY markets, it's just a standard grocery store. They have moved into NC in the past year or so but I don't think they can go nationwide and keep their brand, much like HEB wouldn't be the same as a national chain.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM

Sign was updated. Looks like the Alamo Ranch HEB will actually be a Central Market. I am truly ecstatic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio