Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 03:57 PM

66 posts, read 165,925 times

Advertisements

My brother rents a house in Camelot II, the owner is textbook slumlord. The Heat/AC doesn't work, the house didn't have a fridge or a stove, it was full of trash when he moved in, yet despite all this, he needed a cheap place to live, so he took it...no lease agreement, just a verbal agreement. Since then the property has needed several repairs, including but not limited to the water heater leaking to the point of flooding the kitchen, yet it still goes unfixed. He's called several times and there is no response, nor do they call him back. I called the number from my phone and got an immediate callback, so I know they're dodging his calls.

Today they posted a sign on the house stating "Trespassers will be prosecuted" etc and, during my call with them, they tried to say they had gone to court for evictions and the sheriff was going to come by and tow the cars and empty the house, etc....I work for a legitimate rental company and I know the guy was lying through his teeth. What I need to know is, what is the recourse here? We're moving him out of the house but these slumlords get me absolutely wound up! I live in the East Village neighborhood and we have some in here that do the same thing (I own my house though)

Attached are a few pics I took of the property, including a hole in the wall of the garage that animals are getting in through

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,447 times
Wow! What a dump!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:52 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Slumlords rent to people who will put up with that. Your brother could rent somewhere else. Plenty houses for rent, even in East Village.
I think, you could call Housing Authority and declare that house non-habitable. They will send inspector to assess it.
I need to look for a link to support my statement - it was discussed few years ago, and I remember I was looking into it.

You can contact HUD:

San Antonio Field Office
Hipolito Garcia Federal Building
615 East Houston St. #347
San Antonio, TX 78205-2001

RICHARD LOPEZ Field Office Director
Phone: (210) 475-6806
Fax: (210) 472-6804
Email: TX_Webmanager@hud.gov

or
San Antonio HUD
106 S St Mary's St
San Antonio, TX 78205
Phone: (210) 475-6800

How to handle a BAD LANDLORD????
Can you file class action suit against apartments?
http://www.sanantonio.gov/ces/dpunit.aspx

Last edited by elnina; 01-25-2014 at 05:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 04:59 PM

They continue to get away with these conditions because of the "you can live somewhere else" logic, and neighborhoods suffer as a result. To me, a slumlord is a nogood scumbag and someone needs to do something about it....
Any links you can find ill be helpful

Old 01-25-2014, 05:17 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,105 times
Wow, firstly I am very sorry this happened to him. That house is surely in violation of the Texas Property Code for rental, but I am not sure its uninhabitable (I could be wrong). Unfortunately, there is no recourse for him but to leave. According to the Statute of Frauds, if any agreement is not in writing, and acknowledged by both parties, it does not exist.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
Wow, firstly I am very sorry this happened to him. That house is surely in violation of the Texas Property Code for rental, but I am not sure its uninhabitable (I could be wrong). Unfortunately, there is no recourse for him but to leave. According to the Statute of Frauds, if any agreement is not in writing, and acknowledged by both parties, it does not exist.
That apartment is not habitable in its current state. Per the OP's comment, the stove doesn't work. The apartment must have a kitchen that at least has a permanently installed and functioning stove or cooktop. (Note: one of those countertop plug-in cooktops doesn't meet the "permanently installed" requirement and no oven is required.)

Old 01-25-2014, 06:28 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyDY4 View Post

it was full of trash when he moved in,

no lease agreement, just a verbal agreement.

sounds kinda fishy.

what's the address??

Old 01-25-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
That apartment is not habitable in its current state. Per the OP's comment, the stove doesn't work. The apartment must have a kitchen that at least has a permanently installed and functioning stove or cooktop. (Note: one of those countertop plug-in cooktops doesn't meet the "permanently installed" requirement and no oven is required.)
The oven it has works great, but it's one that I procured for my brother, when he moved in there was no stove at all. I will definitely be firing off an email to the housing authority with pictures and information on the owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
sounds kinda fishy.

what's the address??
I, for safety reasons, won't put the full addressModerator cut: Do not put any address or this thread will be closed

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-02-2014 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,105 times
I don't advise people to rent or buy in Camelot..

Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
sounds kinda fishy.

what's the address??
This is another thread from this San Antonio website that talks about a Camelot II on the Northeast side.

Camelot II in Windcrest - 78239 - Thoughts?

And here's a San Antonio Express News article about this same apartment complex from just over a year ago:

Camelot II cleanup goes slow - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio